unicorn

Are there any GOP candidates who aren't horrible?

• Members

I was looking at the list of GOP candidates, and the only ones I know are complete disasters (Trump, DeSantis, Pence, and Christie). I don't know the others (Scott, Haley, Ramaswamy). Are any of those three at least somewhat decent people?

• Members

No, because except for Christie (who used to) all have to kiss Trump's ass for a chance to win the primary assuming he doesn't.  So they can't say anything about the catalogue of reasons he shouldn't be the nominee so the assumption is he will so what's the point in them running?  

d1yj9atgzdfb1.jpg?auto=webp&s=6fa90396b783e588e55207b74ed779a69120183d

8hnrehy5hefb1.png?auto=webp&s=4088981764867bd8817b40ea9e789ce3ae33463d

nv3fm7mx8aeb1.png?auto=webp&s=a3ae7d318549254aa596bcdbe98cd4b0a2b5ae6e

yjiurj5w3gcb1.jpg

If they're Republican, no, there is not one who isn't horrible ... because even if the candidate is somewhat "moderate" he/she has allegiance to an political party that hates the USA. Look at the GOP Congressional leadership, the majority of GOP Governors.  It's a political party with policies that are hateful.

Yet, despite all of those horrible Republican candidates, the worst of them, Donald Trump, is TIED with Joe Biden, according to the NY Times, a left-wing mouthpiece.

Doesn't say much for Joe Biden when the best he can do is a tie. And if the NY Times has the race as a tie, Trump is probably in the lead by ten points.

And it will only get worse for Biden in the next year and a half, as his dementia becomes more and more apparent.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/01/biden-trump-2024-poll-republican-primary

1 hour ago, EmmetK said:

Doesn't say much for Joe Biden when the best he can do is a tie.

The country is so divided, people are voting for "their team" not the person.

How I can't believe that people say they will still vote for Trump, there was a Democrat on TV last night that said Biden wasn't his first choice but if he's the nomination he'll vote for him. That put it a little in perspective of how the "other side" thinks as well.....

4 hours ago, EmmetK said:

Yet, despite all of those horrible Republican candidates, the worst of them, Donald Trump, is TIED with Joe Biden, according to the NY Times, a left-wing mouthpiece.

Doesn't say much for Joe Biden when the best he can do is a tie. And if the NY Times has the race as a tie, Trump is probably in the lead by ten points.

And it will only get worse for Biden in the next year and a half, as his dementia becomes more and more apparent.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/01/biden-trump-2024-poll-republican-primary

Polls mean very little at this time, IMO.  Though the gaggle of GOP candidates have been on the campaign trail for months, the Biden campaign hasn't begun yet. 

Typically, the Presidential primary campaigns don't start ot ramp-up until after Labor Day the year preceding the primaries.  Yes, the poll numbers don't look good for Biden, but they'll change.  The country will remain divided no matter who the General Election candidates are.

Trump?  It's anyone's guess what will happen with him.  His trial on the  Federal indictments aren't likely to be decided before the election, which, if Trump is the GOP candidate, gives an advantage to Biden and/or the Dems.  If he's convicted in Georgia or NY, or both, all the better for the Dems.

Biden?  I hope someone with influence is working on a Plan B, if he's out of the race.  VP Harris is an important running mate if only to help with the turn-out of black voters.

It's a political lifetime between now and the General election.  Anything can happen, on short notice.

• Members
On 7/31/2023 at 1:06 PM, unicorn said:

I was looking at the list of GOP candidates, and the only ones I know are complete disasters (Trump, DeSantis, Pence, and Christie). I don't know the others (Scott, Haley, Ramaswamy). Are any of those three at least somewhat decent people?

The three you mention - Scott, Haley, Ramaswamy - are interesting.  Two of them are ones I hope, as a Democrat, the Republicans might nominate in the future.  Why?  So we can get back to normal, after the Trump MAGAverse goes away.  But I don't think any of them have a prayer in 2024.  Part of what's interesting and sad is that if you turn the GOP primary into a gutter, of course anybody who jumps in gets shit all over them.

Rich Lowry's article on Ramaswamy nailed it.  He's a smart guy and a great communicator who is charismatic.  And who has no business running for President.  Lowry says Vivek's "political message was created in a lab" and in many ways is more pro-Trump than Trump.  Check.  What's interesting is that of the three people of color, this is the guy who is taking off.  Why?  I think he tells old white MAGA folks what they want to hear.  Like if we just prayed more, and there was less of this Gay or Tranny or CRT shit, we could get back to a more Trump-like America based on values.  🤪   Old White MAGA people like hearing that from young charismatic Indian Americans.  If it sounds like I don't have much respect for Ramaswamy, you are right.

The other two I view as part of the Michael Steele political project.  Which happened after Democrats nominated and elected Obama and the pre-Trump Republican Party tried to adapt.  So the one thing I'll mention about Haley, in that context, is that she's the one who took the Confederate flag down after a horrible moment in her state's history.  Some Never Trump Republican argued she's one of the few people to come out of the Trump Administration with her reputation and integrity intact.  I buy that.

The way I think about Tim Scott is that if the vision of the GOP is to promote a multi-racial Main Street capitalism that makes America thrive,  he's the guy to do it.  Here's a few reasons I like Tim Scott.  When Corey Booker was asked what he thinks of Tim Scott, he said "I love him."  He'd show up on Trevor Noah and say he doesn't hold any punches when it comes to race.  Which he demonstrated is true, including with Trump.  He talks about how he wants an America where we have each other's backs again.

The sad thing to watch about Scott is that the longer the race goes on, the more Trumpy he gets.  Which is understandable, since the GOP primary is The Trump MAGAVerse Show.   So now Scott says it is a privilege to be attacked by Obama.  And Obama got that whole race thing wrong.  And Democrats use race to control Blacks, who I guess still vote Democratic anyway.  It feels like what happens when principled men pander.  And Ramaswamy is still the one the MAGAverse is swooning over.  Because they really only want to be told what they want to hear.

2024 is just gonna be a gutter show, where everyone is slimed with shit.  For a real Republican primary, try next time.  Maybe 2028.