kokopelli3

RIP - Sone

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Illustrative of what many medical related websites have been saying. The reduction in education about HIV in Thailand is resulting in some young pepole growing up unaware of the risks. For example, we know that condoms are much less in evidence in the young Thai-for-Thai saunas that have spread around the outskirts of Bangkok. I know some readers will slam me, but this young man's life was probably cut short due to some form of unprotected sex with others, one of whom could have been a farang. There are still farang who press their young Thai boys du jour for bareback sex without first ensuring the boys are fully aware not just of the risks but of the availability fo PrEP and PEP. Perhaps they should even pay the boys for the cost of that medication in addition to their tips.

Wouldn't though in this day and age be safer to have bare sex with a farang than with a local guy? You would assume a farang that can afford to travel or live in Thailand, has the wisdom and can afford to get tested, take prep or get medications and become undetectable if he is already HIV+. However, it's also true that in some farang groups, like Ukrainians and Russians, who have a big presence in Pattaya, HIV+ rates tend to be high as the stigma associated with homosexuality and HIV in their countries make them less prone to get tested or treated.

I guess it's even more difficult for non-Thai guys, with sometimes not fully-legal immigration status. They can't access the free or subsidized Prep and treatments that Thai nations can. I wonder if there is any NGO on the field that does community outreach and offers free services to everyone?

Since gay saunas were mentioned, I remember both Soi13 in Taipei and Hutong in HK offering free rapid HIV tests in their rest areas during the busiest evening hours. 

Haven't seen something like that in any gay sauna in Thailand but I don't go that often in those kind of venues in Thailand.

Maybe some of the more regular customers can tell if it actually happens.

32 minutes ago, hojacat said:

Wouldn't though in this day and age be safer to have bare sex with a farang than with a local guy? You would assume a farang that can afford to travel or live in Thailand, has the wisdom and can afford to get tested, take prep or get medications and become undetectable if he is already HIV+. However, it's also true that in some farang groups, like Ukrainians and Russians, who have a big presence in Pattaya, HIV+ rates tend to be high as the stigma associated with homosexuality and HIV in their countries make them less prone to get tested or treated.

From reading some of the attitude towards safe(r) sex on this forum, many don't give a rats ass about having STIs (HIV or others) or passing them on. 

34 minutes ago, hojacat said:

I guess it's even more difficult for non-Thai guys, with sometimes not fully-legal immigration status. They can't access the free or subsidized Prep and treatments that Thai nations can. I wonder if there is any NGO on the field that does community outreach and offers free services to everyone?

Since gay saunas were mentioned, I remember both Soi13 in Taipei and Hutong in HK offering free rapid HIV tests in their rest areas during the busiest evening hours. 

Haven't seen something like that in any gay sauna in Thailand but I don't go that often in those kind of venues in Thailand.

Maybe some of the more regular customers can tell if it actually happens.

In Pattaya there is SWING on South Pattaya Road which offers free testing and very inexpensive medicine. We did go there but, as it turned out, it was too late to do anything for Sone.

26 minutes ago, kokopelli3 said:

In Pattaya there is SWING on South Pattaya Road which offers free testing and very inexpensive medicine. We did go there but, as it turned out, it was too late to do anything for Sone.

That's pretty sad. Seems like he had a pretty aggressive form of infection. I hope this event encourages his friends and others that knew him to get tested more often and take care of themselves.

I think there's probably a lot of psychology. The younger generation in Western countries seem to be much more likely to be on the medications and they are more sexually active generally. Those of us in older generations may not be as likely to be on those drugs or to be sexually active except when we're in Thailand. 

How well is SWING able to advertise their services in the bars and spas to the boys who work there? Is there any barrier with respect to the many boys who are not Thai that work in the business?

8 hours ago, fedssocr said:

How well is SWING able to advertise their services in the bars and spas to the boys who work there? Is there any barrier with respect to the many boys who are not Thai that work in the business?

I believe, but not sure, that SWING has provided HIV testing at various venues in Pattaya.

Their testing is free to all the boys regardless of nationality.  Not quite sure about medicines but at the most about 2000 Baht per month.  There is also a Dr. Phillipe in Pattaya that helps HIV patients. This Dr. Phillipe is a Thai doctor and apparently not the same as the famous Dr. Phillipe but seems to have a similar address. Perhaps he has taken over from the original Dr. Phillipe? Sone was to see Dr. Phillipe but was too ill and went to the hospital.

21 hours ago, hojacat said:

I guess it's even more difficult for non-Thai guys, with sometimes not fully-legal immigration status. They can't access the free or subsidized Prep and treatments that Thai nations can.

I am sure you are correct. And with a majority of the boys in the bars - at least the go-go bars - being non Thais brought up in countries with a less comprehensive health system, the risk that they may also have HIV and/or other STDs is probably quite high. I have seen posts on another Board where one or two members have bsically suggested that anyone in the sex business has a responsibility to look after their own health and so they, as the customers, have a right to unprotected sex if that is what they want. This always makes me mad, but this is another issue that young guys should be made aware of - there are always idiots out there! That said, when you are in desperate need of money, what is the chance of these guys really saying 'no'?

Here is a post on Sawatdee Forum regarding the cremation of Sone today, August 19.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?23117-RIP-Sone

Regarding the SWING Foundation I was told they do provide free testing for HIV to Thais, Laos and Cambodians.  And they provide free PrEP and PEP to the same. They also assist in helping to get free medications for HIV from Banglamung Hospital ( there is a one time fee of about 3000 Baht).  It seems SWING can be very helpful to many of those in need. Best to go there in person as they often do not respond to telephone calls. Located on South Pattaya Road near the Vespa dealership.