reader

King’s son ‘Than On’ hints at return as he boards plane

From The Nation

His Majesty the King’s second-oldest son, Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, headed back to New York on Monday after his two week trip in Thailand.

Vacharaesorn posted photos of himself and his followers at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan province with the message, “See you again #ThailandI❤️you #ileaveonlytoreturn". A bit later, Bangkok Post reporter Wassana Nanuam posted a short video clip on her Facebook bidding farewell to Vacharaesorn with the message, “Till we meet again”.

Wassana hopes the King’s son makes a third visit to the kingdom.

King’s son ‘Than On’ hints at return as he boards plane

Vacharaesorn, 42, who works as a lawyer in New York, travelled to Thailand earlier this month to attend Father’s Day celebrations on December 5, at which he commemorated his grandfather’s birthday by laying flowers at his statue in King Rama IX Memorial Park in Bangkok’s Dusit district.

He had visited many places in Thailand during his second trip, including sampling dishes at a famous roadside eatery in Bangkok ‘Jay Fai’, applying for his first Thai ID card and a new Thai passport, and planting mangrove trees at the Klongkhlon Mangrove Reforestation Project in Samut Songkhram province. He also witnessed the traditional Thai way of life near the Bangkok Noi canal.

• Members

I looked this man up on Wikipedia, and it had the curious notation that he was simply "exiled to the United States." How does that happen? Does Thailand get to dictate the visa policies of the US? How do Thai officials simply get  to decide that one of their citizens will be allowed to live in the US indefinitely? Or did they simply get him an EB-5 (investors') visa? This man's website implies he became a US citizen, but didn't make clear how that happened. I suppose the EB-5 would be the only way I could think of that happening, off-hand. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa

9 hours ago, unicorn said:

I looked this man up on Wikipedia, and it had the curious notation that he was simply "exiled to the United States." How does that happen? Does Thailand get to dictate the visa policies of the US? How do Thai officials simply get  to decide that one of their citizens will be allowed to live in the US indefinitely? Or did they simply get him an EB-5 (investors') visa? This man's website implies he became a US citizen, but didn't make clear how that happened. I suppose the EB-5 would be the only way I could think of that happening, off-hand. 

at that level different set of rules may , officially or not , apply.

Since his paternal grandfather was born in USA he may have right to US citizenship (not sure if that works that way though)

10 hours ago, unicorn said:

I believe it was through a political asylum after his mom and siblings fled Thailand for the UK and his sister was abducted and brought back to Thailand. If you follow the links for children at his mom’s Wikipedia page you can piece together the story of their “exile”: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sujarinee_Vivacharawongse

• Members
4 hours ago, vinapu said:

at that level different set of rules may , officially or not , apply.

I doubt that's the case in the US. One has to have a valid visa to legally live in the US. Asylum is definitely one of those mechanisms, and does allow the asylee to eventually obtain US citizenship. Being the son of a US citizen would be another way, of course. Even His Royal Highness Prince Harry is only allowed permanent residency in the US because he's married to a US citizen. The prince may be allowed to live in any of his father's realms (I don't know what those rules are), but the US is certainly not one of Charles III's realms. I suspect Prince Harry won't take up US citizenship because in doing so, by law, he'd have to give up any title of nobility he holds. Apparently there is some sort of grandfather rule in the US as well, though in that case the grandchild must take the oath of allegiance before he turns 18:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_United_States#Naturalized_citizenship

Grandparent rule. Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 (INA), added in 1994, enabled children of a United States citizen who did not become citizens at birth, to use the physical presence period in the United States of a grandparent who was a citizen to qualify for United States citizenship.[68] Under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, Section 322 was amended to extend also to children who generally reside outside the United States with a United States citizen parent, whether biological or adopted.[69] The child must be in the legal and physical custody of the United States citizen parent, the child and parent must be lawfully present in the United States for the interview, and the child must take the oath of allegiance before the age of 18 years (for those 14 years or older). The application (Form N-600K) may only be submitted by the United States citizen parent, or by the grandparent or legal guardian within 5 years of the parent's death

From The Nation

‘Than On’ back in Thailand for third visit in 7 months

His Majesty the King’s second-eldest son, Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, on Wednesday posted a photo of himself at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan province on his Facebook wall with the caption “I have returned home, as promised”.

The post has attracted over 25,000 likes and welcoming comments from netizens.

This is his third trip to his homeland in less than a year.

After living abroad for 27 years, Vacharaesorn and his younger brother, Chakriwat made their first visit to Thailand on August 7, 2023. Vacharaesorn is fondly called “Than On” by Thais, while Chakriwat is known as “Than Ong”.

Vacharaesorn, 42, who works as a lawyer in New York, travelled to Thailand again on December 4 to attend Father's Day celebrations on December 5 in Bangkok.

He also visited several provinces, including Nong Khai, Ayutthaya, Samut Songkhram and Chachoengsao, before returning to the United States on December 18, when he posted: See you again. #ThailandIloveyou #ileaveonlytoreturn

A news source revealed that Than On’s could stay in Thailand until April during this third visit to celebrate the Songkran Festival, also known as the Thai traditional new year, from April 13-15.

It added that on his next visit to Thailand, which is yet to be scheduled, the King’s other three sons who live in the US will join Vacharaesorn. They are: Juthavachara, Chakriwat, and Vatchrawee.

I read an article a couple of days ago, saying that he was married to an American women, which automatically excludes him from the succession.  It said that he is trying to say that he is divorced, but it all looked rather interesting. The article also said that another son is also married to an American.  Anyone else read this?

• Members
4 hours ago, fedssocr said:

I would imagine that these rules can easily be changed by the guy in charge

I'm going to show my ignorance. Who's in charge in Thailand, the King or his Prime Minister?

The fact that the father of the current monarch was born in the United States in 1927 didn't prevent him from assuming the throne in 1946. King Rama IX went on to become one of the country's most revered monarchs, reigning for the next 70 years.

From Bloomberg News

A son of Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn has secured a government-issued identification card and a Thai passport, and now intends to move back to the Southeast Asian country after living abroad for nearly three decades, according to the Bangkok Post.

Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse used the new passport for his third visit to the country in seven months, the Post reported Thursday. Vacharaesorn told the newspaper in an interview that his trips were personal and that he had no particular agenda.

3 hours ago, reader said:

Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse used the new passport for his third visit to the country in seven months, the Post reported Thursday. Vacharaesorn told the newspaper in an interview that his trips were personal and that he had no particular agenda.......

other then securing his spot in the future  race for Rama XI ?

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

other then securing his spot in the future  race for Rama XI ?

I'm surprised  that he needed a passport!

From The Nation

His Majesty the King’s second eldest son, Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, was appointed by Wichien Chubthaisong, president of the Lawyers Council of Thailand, to be his honorary adviser until 2025.

The appointment was announced in a meeting at the council’s headquarters in Bangkok on Friday. The session was also attended by the council’s board of directors and councillors.

Vacharaesorn, who works as a lawyer in New York, expressed his gratitude to the council president in entrusting him with this esteemed position.

“I promise to dedicate my physical and mental efforts as well as my knowledge to the people’s benefit,” said Vacharaesorn, who is fondly called “Than On” by Thais.

“I pledge to perform my duties to the best of my ability to ensure equality and fairness in the justice system.”