dscrtsldnbi

A quick trip report (Bali, December 2023 - January 2024)

14 hours ago, floridarob said:

That's always my problem....I've never been to Elegantz, was wondering how it was...decent reviews online though.

Likewise (online offers beat any institutional arrangements fairly and squarely these days, as far as I am concerned). I've been there once many years ago. This time, I passed by only once and the place looked empty from the outside.

A quick aside about the restaurant scene.

In my opinion, Bambu (https://bambubali.com/) is still the best option, as far as local fine dining is concerned. You don't have to make a reservation (I never do) though it might still be advisable in high season. A perfect 'local flavours' meal should cost you about £35/head without the cost of drinks. Drinks are reasonably priced and their wine list is both good and adequate, as far as the cost is concerned (you'll pay a standard European price for a bottle of Burgundy, for example). A dinner for one with one bottle of French wine will cost you just about US$100, a dinner for two will be circa US$150.

Interestingly, 95% of their waiting staff are young males (20-35 y.o.) with surprisingly good English and, judging by the conversations I've had with several of them when dining there, they have some genuine interest in middle-aged male Westerners, which is not academic. For the record, I haven't sampled any of them (I was rather busy sampling others) but I have a strong feeling that it was an option.

7 hours ago, dscrtsldnbi said:

In my opinion, Bambu (https://bambubali.com/) is still the best option, as far as local fine dining is concerned. You don't have to make a reservation (I never do) though it might still be advisable in high season. A perfect 'local flavours' meal should cost you about £35/head without the cost of drinks. 

I guess if you think you're actually tasting 'local flavours' for £35, then you'll probably not mind sampling 'local boys' for £35 an hour. Sing to?

Makes perfect sense to me! ☺️

16 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

I guess if you think you're actually tasting 'local flavours' for £35, then you'll probably not mind sampling 'local boys' for £35 an hour. Sing to?

Makes perfect sense to me! ☺️

You did not notice quotation marks around 'local flavours' in the original, did you?

According to you, it's actually the smallest of those 'warung' that really need your business -- not the elite luxury places.

And, again, I hope you're paying the boys much more than you used to pay -- even above what they're now asking. Devastation is devastation, and you're megawealthy compared to them. 

The pandemic has had a devastating effect on them. Pretty much every single restaurant and place of business I remember from before the pandemic is not there anymore. Up-market places (e.g. Bambu, Mauri - these are restaurants if you wonder) are still going strong but they are more an exception to the rule than the rule. 

25 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

According to you, it's actually the smallest of those 'warung' that really need your business -- not the elite luxury places.

And, again, I hope you're paying the boys much more than you used to pay -- even above what they're now asking. Devastation is devastation, and you're megawealthy compared to them. 

The pandemic has had a devastating effect on them. Pretty much every single restaurant and place of business I remember from before the pandemic is not there anymore. Up-market places (e.g. Bambu, Mauri - these are restaurants if you wonder) are still going strong but they are more an exception to the rule than the rule. 

They all need my business, regardless of their size, price range or finesse of their cuisine  which was the point I was trying to make: the restaurants that are not there anymore used to represent the full range o eateries - from small warungs to, say, the upmarket and expensive Salazar. A loss of business is a loss of business and I am equally sad to see a posh restaurant going under and a small eatery. Bambu doesn't deserve it. I hope it is clear now and am sorry I failed to express it in a easier digestible way earlier.

6 hours ago, dscrtsldnbi said:

They all need my business, regardless of their size, price range or finesse of their cuisine...

Yet you said that the "up-market places are still going strong."

So they really don't "need" your business at this moment compared to places that are currently struggling. I know it's fun to splurge and treat yourself, but you have a limited amount of time on the island.

Give where it's essential!  🙏