Guest bijbg

mae sot

Are there any guys for fun in Mae Sot (or Mae Sod variant spelling)??

This is a town I visited last year and I found it very humdrum. Nothing special at all. It's right on the Thailand:Burma border so is of interest if you fancy a quick jaunt into Burma for the day, but you have to report back to the border post to retrieve your passport - you cannot stay overnight.

Quite frankly there's not much to see on the other side, but you may of course hit lucky and meet a guy, but you probably stand a better chance in Mae Sot. I don't think there are any gay bars but like everywhere else in Thailand, a smile and a friendly word or two may get a favourable response. The friend I was staying with had recently found himself a really nice young man from the local area who was happy to move in with him and help around the house.

Guest RichLB

My boyfriend is from Mae Sot and I have visited often. I'm afraid I have to agree with Rogie - the place is not the tourist Mecca of Thailand for good reason. As far as i know there are no gay dedicated establishments there, although the young men on the streets are as friendly and, perhaps, available as in any other small town.

On the positive side, if you venture there, the town does have some things to recommend it. If you are knowledgeable about gems, there are major bargains to be had. Jewelry dealers from around the world go to Mae Sot to take advantage of this. The reason is that many Burmese illegal aliens flee across the river and bring with them gems to sell. There is a large open market right next to the bridge where jewelry is sold and some of the gems are actually real. But, if you don't know real from fake, you're taking a chance. If you want guaranteed stones go to the jewelry shops in town. There are a ton of them and you get a guarantee enforced by the government. More expensive than off the street gems, but still very inexpensive if you know what you are looking at.

Mae Sot is also well known for it's waterfalls. There are a lot of them and the Thais love them. You have to venture up into the mountains, but the trek is only about 1/2 hour to most of them and if you are a waterfall lover, it's a fun excursion.

Mae Sot, in spite of its lack of gay things, is actually pretty interesting if you are a people person. It hosts an odd mix. You will find lots of Thais, of course, Burmese expats eking out a living somehow, quite a few ex Vietnam vets vigilantes working as advisers to the Burmese insurgents, and an equal number of expats who help in the refugee camps. They all have fascinating stories to share.

Mae Sot also has a restaurant that has no business being there. I've forgotten the name and my boyfriend isn't here right now to ask (I think it's Kao Ma Kao Phan, but not sure). Recognizing that Mae Sot is a pretty (as Rogie said) humdrum place, I'm at a loss what this rstaurant is doing there. It's beautiful with waterfalls, swans gliding by the tables, all hand carved furniture, delicious food at dirt cheap prices, flowers and ferns everywhere, etc. It's really spectacular. If you go to Mae Sot, be sure to at least see it.

I should also warn you that Mae Sot can be a bit dangerous. Be careful of the Burmese in groups. Given their problems in their home country they have little to lose and robbery is not an unknown crime in Mae Sot.

Hope this gives you some insight what to expect if you visit. It is worth a trip.

Guest taylorsquare

I have been to Mae Sot several times,crossing into Tachilek.

By memory the hired bar boy and myself took a baht bus from Chiang Rai up to there,last time i went was about July 2007.

When we crossed into Tachilek,were hounded by street sellers.

Chiang Rai had several boy go go bars by memory.I remember actually two boy go go bars in Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai had several boy go go bars by memory.I remember actually two boy go go bars in Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai is not exactly noted for its gay scene. The only two web sites I know of that even include the two gay bars in Chiang Rai on their lists anymore are:

http://www.utopia-asia.com/thaicr.htm

and

http://www.thailandscene.com/other.shtml

I have no idea whether the information is current.

Also, Chiang Rai is nowhere near Mae Sot. It's hundreds of miles between the two and about a 9-hour bus ride.

Yes, I think it is safe to assume Taylorsquare was confusing Mae Sot with Mae Sai. Certainly, as I was coming to Mae Sot from Chiang Mai, my friend cautioned me not to get on the wrong bus!

Before I arrived in Mae Sot I had read the following in Lonely Planet 11th edition published 2005:

"Walking down the streets of Mae Sot, you'll see an interesting ethnic mixture - Burmese men in their longyi (sarongs), Hmong and Karen women in traditional hill-tribe dress, bearded Indo-Burmese men and Thai army rangers". I saw nothing of the sort. Maybe I wasn't looking! Or maybe the description was written in 1982 when the 1st edition came out, and hasn't been updated! :huh:

Does anyone know of any towns in Thailand where you can see an interesting ethnic mix, people going about their daily business, somewhat along the lines of the above? I mean women (seeing a man in ethnic dress is never seen nowadays), genuinely dressed (i.e. not for tourists) in ethnic fashion, maybe at the market or walking into town from their village to sell their wares.

My sad observation is the days of jeans and T-shirt for men/boys and young girls/women are with us for the foreseeable future. Older women still wear nice colourful skirts and Fred Perry-type tops. However, Thai traditional or national dress, if that is the right term, is still seen at festivals, parades, feast days, beauty contests, etc. so all is not lost! :D

Guest taylorsquare

Rogie,I remember driving back from Mae Hong Son, to Chiang Mai,about two years ago in a rent a car.

I stopped at most villages on the way back,one that intrigued me which was just past PAI,was a little muslim village complete with all muslim street stalls and the people were friendly.

I think it was called Mai Sa or similar,somewhere past PAI on the road back to Chiang Mai.

Mind you PAI was also a interesting stop,a lot of backpackers etc,but no matter how hard i tried i couldnt pick up any local guys.

Then again a lot of young blonde Swedish backpackers were walking around showing their tanned bods for all to see.

Then again a lot of young blonde Swedish backpackers were walking around showing their tanned bods for all to see.

Close your eyes Taylorsquare and you could open them to find yourself in the Khao San Road. What a pleasant surprise!

You've hit the nail on the head - a few years ago towns like Mae Hong Son were touted as 'frontier towns' where you might see some interesting sights. I haven't been to that part of Thailand - I was keen to go a few years ago but I think I'll pass on that now, rather than share staring room only with blond Swedes and hunky Kiwis.

Sorry to hear you had no luck with the local guys - what were you doing wrong?!! :D

Guest taylorsquare

Well PAI had some handsome thai guys,just they all seemed to be too busy or with girls.

I did smile at a few in the market area,saw a few soldier uniforms and made some small talk,but i suppose i had a fear of going beyond that.

Mind you,driving along those windy roads from Pai back to Chiang Mai,I will never forget slowing down and gawking at all those young thai lads working shirtless on the road gangs.

Surely there must be a easier......and more enjoyable way for them to earn a dime.?

Those thoughts did cross my mind ,especially after receiving smiles from most of them.

I apologise for taking the original topic away from the OP.

The small towns can be difficult for a farang trying to find someone gay. Like any other small town, just about everyone knows everyone else. For that reason, often gays in Thai small towns won't be responsive. That doesn't mean you can't find anyone, but the odds are not that great.

Guest bijbg

Thank you all for this information. It is more than i could get anywhere online.

How about expats in Mae Sot? I don't mind a good top Farang

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

I know at least two  former members who departed but still are reading us regularly. I keep in touch through other channels, it's how I know

13 years seems very long period @Guest bijbg might be passed away,  elderly or just lost interest with the forum