firecat69

7 Days to Go

, hopefully some medication that will allow me to enjoy my trip to Australia , New Zealand, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Siem Reap.

Will be no boys on this trip . Oh maybe I can sneak one in either Hanoi or Siem Reap when my friends are sightseeing something I have already seen.

If you are in Sydney - be sure to check out Sydney City Steam on sussex St:

http://357.com.au/

Its very near Chinatown and draws a large Asian crowd... I'm sure you may find something interesting there! 

once again I have had compulsory daily reading and thoroughly enjoyed all the reports and photos. Hope you recover quickly and enjoy the rest of your journey. Thanks for wetting the appetite and I hope to put Pattaya on the trip itinerary one day soon. I and I think many others will look forward to December when you do trip reports again.

Don't know if anyone has any interest but I'll give short trip reports on my non-boy travel.  Arrived Sydney ,flew BC on Thai. They are just sub standard from the seats to the food, not even as good as USA carriers. Very disappointed!

Customs was quick and the apartment we are renting is beautiful and less the 1/2 the price of 2 rooms in a Nice Hotel.

The prices here are outrageous .  They make my trip to Ireland and Scotland look cheap.  Just a local restaurant appetizers start at $12 and Main courses  $26 and up up up.  Just ridiculous.  

If there are any Australians here that know reasonable restaurants in Darlinghurst and Paddington, let me know.

But of course the city and the waterfront are spectacular.  The Ferries are reasonable and the best way to see Sydney from the Water.  Not much else to say. If I don't go broke leave for NZ in 3 days.

Don't know if anyone has any interest but I'll give short trip reports on my non-boy travel.  Arrived Sydney ,flew BC on Thai. They are just sub standard from the seats to the food, not even as good as USA carriers. Very disappointed!

Yes please, post away.

Interesting about Thai business class, I fly with them all the time (via Indonesia) and have found their BC to be very good with good food and wine and the cabin crews service to be very good. Mind you the only other airline I have flown either business class or first class was Singapore airlines and their service I just cannot fault, my view may be biased a little.

Old 747. No staggered seating. No lie flat beds . Movies mostly very old although I don't care I watch TV shows on my Mac.

I had some sort of a pork dish. It was awful. I could barely chew the meat .  Dessert was a joke. I was hoping for something after the terrible meal.  I can't fault the service or the check in at BKK and the lounge in BKK is really good.  

But a 10 hour flight I care about the seats etc.

That explains it then about the seating (old 747), I am usually on their Airbus planes, for a 10hr flight the seating would become critical for me too. Hope it improves from here on.

I fly cattle class, together with Vinapu and Christian. 

Despite my middle class income, if I divide the fare increase into the number of hours sat in the seat, on an hourly rate business it's just not worth it.   It's much more sensible to put the money saved towards my early retirement fund.

Also, I usually get about 1.5 metres of legroom in a cattle class emergency exit row seat.

Now if I had enough assets to fund an immediate (very) early retirement on about £100,000 per year, then of course I would be in business class for every long haul flight.

For me at the moment business class is the preferred choice because of the fares, I live in a country town that has direct flights to Indonesia and that flight costs much the same as a fare down to a major city (Perth) so I go via Indonesia. From Indon onward the business class fare is much the same as an economy fare from Perth so I choose the extra bit of comfort. This next trip may well be my last in business class though as I will be retiring and living down south, from Perth business class is 3 times the cost of an economy ticket (over $3000 for bc) and from there it's not really worth it. there is a stopover in Indon on the way back but it's only about a 4 hour transit in Indon on the way over.

All flights from here to Bangkok via Indonesia Thai business class - approximately $1800

All flights from here to Bangkok via Perth Thai cattle class - approximately $1900 (based on the last time I flew that route)

With people suffering discomfort of Business class I wonder if Christian PFC and me are only people  alive who are still flying long distances  in  the comfort of cattle  class?

I do both, it depends: When my company pays, I fly business class, when I have to pay myself, I fly cattle class (but I can upgrade quite often, which I do when possible). I'm reasonably young, neither very tall nor broader than the seat, don't have any medical conditions, can sleep reasonably well even in cattle class... so whenever I cannot manage to get a "free" upgrade, I prefer spending more at my destination instead. In the good old days of visiting Thailand, I went straight to work after a night flight in cattle class and a shower. No big deal for me.

In the good old days of visiting Thailand, I went straight to work after a night flight in cattle class and a shower. No big deal for me.

what I noticed  with age I take long flights better and better even if I don't sleep on the plane but jet lag becomes problem bigger and bigger, wonder it's just me or others have the same

Flying has gotten easier for me as the years went on but then I did my back in and it can be a bit of a strain (another reason for business class), jetlag no problem here as the flights are relatively short.