brall3

Airport to Hotel

Seeking information on alternate transportation from the International airport to the hotel.

The last two trips I stayed at the Tarntawan Place and their limo service met me at the airport; a cost of 1500-1800. This trip I will be staying at another hotel in the Silom/Sathorn area.

What is the approximate cost of taking a taxi from the International airport to the Silom area? Any suggestions on taxi companies and their location at the airport?

The flight arrives at 11:00 that night. Does the Metro run that late? Is it easy to find the Metro at the airport and ride it to the Silo area?

Normal taxi will cost you about 400 Baht. Take it at first floor.

Skytrain airport link works till midnight. Location next floor - basement B.

To get to Silom area you have to make 2 transfers btw lines, but looks like you arrive too late to make transfers, better take skytrain to Makasan station and then take taxi for short trip to Silom, or just to take taxi to Silom from Suvarnabumi: that time no traffic jams on roads.

Be ready to pay toll on roads 2 times (as I recall 60+25 baht) if you will take taxi from airport.

Depending on line at immigration and waiting time for your luggage you may be able to catch last train departing at midnight or even second last train, then follow Moses advice as it will be to late for connection at Phaya Thai for BTS or at Makkasan for MRT / subway/.

This is option if you need an adrenaline rush at that time. Bite the bullet , go to 1st floor and take  taxi, remember you need to pay driver 50 baht over the meter / airport surcharge /.

I'd rather give that 1000 baht to the boy on the first night than pay that extra for limo service but it's just me maybe  

I don't see any value in a limo service to/from BKK airport(s) with taxis being so cheap and just as well airconditioned. From Suvarnabhumi to SIlom the meter should run to no somewhere between 250-300, plus airport surcharge of 50, plus highway toll of 75 (25+50) for a total of around 400 as Moses correctly estimated. The only small obstacle might be to get the driver to turn on the meter. Though I have had drivers who wanted to negotiate a fixed price (usually 500-700) I never had trouble getting them to turn on the meter when I insisted on it. Just act like you not a novice tourist but know your way around (which is obviously true for the OP) and things will be fine. Drivers turning on the meter right away without even trying to negotiate a flat fare ususally get a tip from me. 

You can also use a shared shuttle, available on Expedia. Costs £8-43 (just over 400 baht). They also do shared shuttles between many other places too such as Bangkok to Pattaya for under 1000 baht. Not as cheap as public transport but air conditioned, comfortable and safe.

Well I guess but I have made that trip 50 times at least and never have a problem.  I get in the Taxi and tell him 400 baht, tollway included.

I have never had anyone say no and even though I know I might do meter and tolls for 330, I eliminate the possibility of circuitous routing etc and with tip I would always be very close to 400. 

No hassle , no arguments and as fast as he can make it .

Why would anyone pay for a shared shuttle when they can have taxi for same price?

Common illusion is that we humans always make a rational financial decisions.

I can see at least 4 reasons for doing the above although I haste to say , I'm  none of those types.

1. Technology freaks, those are people who use internet do do almost everything, they order pizza over internet instead of calling  so why not a  shuttle

2. Big name lovers, who wouldn't sleep in hotel  without Holiday Inn or Hilton  name, eat at McDonald or Sizzler, drink only Starbucks cofee etc  so they feel home  with Expedia but not Lek's Taxi Service

3. Unsecure types, afraid of unknown who don't leave home without all reservations made , tickets purchased, maps uploaded and so on

4.Points freaks collecting reward points on every purchase including 1.50 coca-cola so why not on shared shuttle. 

Last thing on my mind after spending 24 hours in a Aluminum Tube is try to save 50- 60 baht if I'm going to BKK or more if I am going to Pattaya where there are no other options then having a car pick u up and take me to my destination.

Since my shortest trip is 30 days , worrying about some small amount of money when I will spend hundreds of thousands of baht, makes no sense to me.

I get to my room faster and have my first boy and that is what the trip is about.

I recognize that some on a short trip with limited funds have to be careful but honestly, I feel that applies to very few people who frequent this Forum.

firecat I'm last to question your reasoning but I was trying to show that different people have different calculations in mind for different reasons.

After you land past midnight if you were to wait for first train to Phaya Thai at 6.00  you'd be surprised how many faces familiar from  flight are on the train,  rationale of waiting  being savings not only on taxi but also on first, very short  night in the hotel.

I was presented with this logic on at least three occasions by random travelling companions over the years

Not long ago Christian reported meeting on the flight to BKK guy whose goal was to get from Swampy to Cambodian border at Poipet for under 3$. Achievable by the way, logic of such self flagellation escaping me but obviously not  a guy in question.

Bottom line is trying to rationalize spending habits of others is an exercise in futility. We can help with advice  but trying to understand motives of others when comes to spending  is wasting energy.

Which is what I said:

"Last thing on my mind after spending 24 hours in a Aluminum Tube is try to save 50- 60 baht if I'm going to BKK or more if I am going to Pattaya where there are no other options then having a car pick u up and take me to my destination" That is what works for me.

The key sentence "That is what works for me"

​And by the way waiting until 6am for the train makes no sense to me because last time I checked no Hotels I know of have a 7 am check in time.  I suppose it is possible but certainly not a guarantee!

And I did say it is possible but just as likely to be impossible certainly during High Season.  And then you are looking at another 12 -17  hours on Top of maybe 24 hours of traveling.

To me just something I would never consider.  Someone who needs to save $20 --$30 when they just in most cases spent upwards of $1000 for airfare and will certainly spend more thousands.

And by the way not just midnight arrivals. What is the difference if you arrive at 10pm.  What would someone do then?  Yes maybe the train is running and then still no Hotel  available in most cases. unless you pay for that night. You sleep in the airport to save 300 baht taxi fare?  Not me!!!

Not long ago Christian reported meeting on the flight to BKK guy whose goal was to get from Swampy to Cambodian border at Poipet for under 3$. Achievable by the way, logic of such self flagellation escaping me but obviously not  a guy in question.

And he did! We met again on his return and he gave me details.

Some travelers are trying  to economize and nothing wrong with it as long as they prefer to sleep on the airport bench till morning in order to save.

I did when I was living in Paris. Flight was in the morning before public transport started, so I took last bus to airport and spend night there instead of taking taxi in the morning.

To me just something I would never consider.  Someone who needs to save $20 --$30 when they just in most cases spent upwards of $1000 for airfare and will certainly spend more thousands.

I do. The point is there is no other option than flying (boat or train/bus/car would be too slow), but there are options to get from the airport to your hotel.

Well I guess but I have made that trip 50 times at least and never have a problem.  I get in the Taxi and tell him 400 baht, tollway included.

I have never had anyone say no and even though I know I might do meter and tolls for 330, I eliminate the possibility of circuitous routing etc and with tip I would always be very close to 400. 

No hassle , no arguments and as fast as he can make it .

You should get a medal for your support of taxi mafia!

Guest LoveThailand

Taxi from the airport to downtown BKK is frigging $12.

I come on vacation. Last ting I want is wasting my time in transit - I come to enjoy myself. It is easy for me not to spend too much on food - I do not eat or need to eat at expensive restaurants. I do not stay at expensive hotels - but not the cheapest either - mid-range, because they provide environment and level of comfort where I can enjoy myself.

But what works for me would not for others - everybody makes their own choices.

I see both sides on the Taxi Mafia argument.  The ones who refuse to use the meter in Silom deserve that title. As do the ones in cahoots with the people who are supposed to keep them in order at BKK airport.

I try and avoid them as much as possible.  The airport rail link into Bangkok works well enough for me.  I doubt a taxi is any faster.

The term Taxi Mafia seems fair & I would use it.  However, any taxi following the rules is certainly not making a fortune.  My view is they should either play by the rules, or move into a different line of business.

The one time I always use a taxi is when returning from Pattaya to the airport.  That's about 1000 baht via Mr Toom, which is spectacularly good value for a 1hour 20 minute ride and I'm just not going to get up 60~90 minutes earlier to catch the bus.

The service has been good for me so far, however other people's recent reports of unreliable service are disturbing.  I do not want to miss a 50,000 baht* flight because of a 1000 baht taxi.

[* Flight costs me less than 50,000 baht both ways, however if I miss it and need to rebook at short notice, in peak season it's going to be about 50,000 baht]

Guest anonone

The one time I always use a taxi is when returning from Pattaya to the airport.  That's about 1000 baht via Mr Toom, which is spectacularly good value for a 1hour 20 minute ride and I'm just not going to get up 60~90 minutes earlier to catch the bus.

The service has been good for me so far, however other people's recent reports of unreliable service are disturbing.  I do not want to miss a 50,000 baht* flight because of a 1000 baht taxi.

[* Flight costs me less than 50,000 baht both ways, however if I miss it and need to rebook at short notice, in peak season it's going to be about 50,000 baht]

Yes. Mr Toom let me down spectacularly with a booking from Pattaya to BKK, early early morning.  No taxi showed up, no one answered my repeated phone calls.  Crap situation.  Thankfully I was able to contact a driver that usually hangs out at Tam Nam Isan for that crowd and he sped to pick me up and sped even faster to get me to BKK in time for my flight.

I now use The Limo Pattaya and have been very impressed with their communication and service.  1200 baht between Pattaya and BKK, either direction, all inclusive.  http://thelimopattaya.com/

Hopefully they stay as reliable as they have shown to be over the past 6 trips or so.

I support firecat's assertion that taxis in BKK are very good value pricewise.

Whether using them at day time saves time is debatable because of scandalic traffic jams throughout most of the day but at least one is sitting in air conditioned environment.  

Offer of medal should be withdrawn immediately though at 400 is quite reasonable, Meter from Sawmpy to BBBInn is 255, plus 70 tolls plus 50 airport surcharge for a total of 375, 400 is hardly extortion.

I use taxis to/from airport very rarely  but 2 years ago I paid 600 required without hesitation as I was hailing it at 3 a.m. during deluge  

I come on vacation. Last thing I want is wasting my time in transit

I'm of opinion that when on vacation being in transit is not wasting time -rather is an opportunity to savor and experience environment I will be spending my vacations in. In Bangkok bonus is abundance of eye candy in the train.

This , not opportunity to save money is reason I very rarely use taxis , usually only in the dead on night for lack of other options.

But as you said above - everybody in making own choices.

I admire steel nerves of those who are taking  taxis  for the final trip to the airport from PTY . I'd never put myself through what anonone just described , rather opt for final night in BKK. But I'm of high blood pressure already.   

Guest Cedric

Absolutely ridiculous to refer to them as Taxi Mafia. Vast majority of drivers are hard working, long hours and use the meter without  argument.

I sincerely wish I had the same experience quite honestly. 

It's so rare that I get a good taxi driver in Bangkok that I make a point of taking their card/phone number if they are any good. If anything they seem to get worse and worse over the years.

From the airport I've never had a problem, not the new airport. I think limos are a waste of money, unless they come with the hotel deal as mine did last week it's not worth the money.

I think there is something like the taxi Mafia operating in parts of Bangkok. They stand round at very busy taxi pick up points at night and ask you where you want to go, you tell them and they quote a fare open the door for you and off the taxi goes. If you refuse they tell you to go and stand somewhere else. Im not sure what this is all about but I refused and refused to go stand somewhere else, instead hopped in the next taxi and barked meter and closed the door sharply telling him where to go. The driver looked a bit confused for a second as did the guy standing on the street but luckily the driver put on the meter and never said another word, though it was obvious he wasn't pleased at all.

Im not sure what's up with taxi drivers, traffic seems bad all hours except late at night and that's when they want to rip you off even more. To my hotel on one destination cost +-100bht, return I was asked to pay 500bht, three times by three different drivers, no meter, more or less the same outrageous expectations! That's not 50 or so baht more its straight forward rip off. 

I don't advise this because it could get nasty but once I got into a taxi and they tried this on me and I was feeling a bit tired so just went with it. When I got to the hotel I calmly slipped out the taxi without paying a single baht. Its one of those hotels taxi drivers don't like to make a fuss. I whispered to one of the doormen (I know them very well) that the taxi was very bad so he waved him sharply away.

The look on his face was priceless.

There is a strange sense of entitlment these bad taxi drivers have. If they dont like the pay they should do something else, guaranteed it will be something where they still try and rip people off. Locals have a better sense of what to reasonable pay so often dont mind no meter. Tourists can't tell unless they've done the trip at least once and metered so are always easy targets.

Its ridiculous, when you get a good one the sense of relief is so huge you want to hero worship them, completely ridiculous.