Every forum needs new blood. Good to see this forum attracting new members and not scaring them off but rather

welcoming them. We endlessly rehash the same material and forget that for some, it's all new and the start of their

journey as older (40 y.o +) ignored invisible gay men into a world of youthful smiling boys who actually want to have sex with you.

Sure, it's all about the money but you can save the money for your nieces and nephews or have the time of your life.

Up to you, as many Thai boys say.

Note: Thai boys are aged up to 35 y.o. or so, especially if unmarried. Boys means young men (18+). Young boys are under 18 y.o. It can get confusing.

I  have noticed a number of new members who recently (past year)  have joined this forum.

Out of curiosity was wondering if they would share their reasons for this particular forum. Maybe they were lurkers and now want to be participants? Or did they stumble across it? Or realize that  it is the the best forum on gay life in Thailand?

answering the original post's question:

I realized I have been registered for quite a long time (since 8/2011), guess I did that because I thought it might be something like an Asian version of Romeo or something like that. Or an information website like travelgayasia.com. For sure it was not because this it "the best forum on gay life in Thailand", as this is not really about "gay life in Thailand" at all, but about commercial gay life, which is not the focus of my interest. I have participated (and still do) in non-commercial gay life in Thailand for 15 years, but still have some interest in the commercial side, too (out of horniness or convenience or whatever), so after I moved here I somehow started to read more often, sometimes post and then that became more regular. I have seen those bars ad shows on my first visits to BKK, but never been back, and in fact have never offed a boy form a bar or massage parlor (which is not to say I have never paid for sex hehe). But it is interesting to read reports and get updates on this scene, which is sometimes useful if I show curious friends around who are first-timers here.

"the best forum on gay life in Thailand", as this is not really about "gay life in Thailand" at all, but about commercial gay life, which is not the focus of my interest. I have participated (and still do) in non-commercial gay life in Thailand for 15 years, but still have some interest in the commercial side, too (out of horniness or convenience or whatever), 

Ha, ha, that was just my sense of humor at work hyping this forum. 

It seems this forum has been attracting more newbies than usual. It's difficult to ask questions seen as naive by old timers.

Troll detectors go off easily and I'm glad to see naive questions answered. The eternal questions, like how much to tip, will

always be asked by newbies as well as all the 'how to' questions.

Sure, one can do searches but easier and more direct to simply ask. Good to see patience and general welcoming feeling here.

Guest FatRichard

sometimes trolls ask questions answers to which can be useful for others and sometimes they trigger  useful and vivid discussion.

In short, let them be or ignore depending on preferences.

Agreed.  Usually the ones who shout "troll" the loudest are the same old farts who don't like newbies (or anyone else) with a point of view that's different from their own.  Thankfully we haven't had too much of that going on here.

I post on this forum because one that I used to post on has been overrun by hydras/sock puppets with few real people actually posting and another has a moderator who's such a control freak that he would delete thoughtful posts or manufacture facts just so he could be right.

Since about ten years I made several visits to Thailand (Bkk, Ptya and CM), commonly in combination with visits to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar or Indonesia. Several years I got the necessary information from sites like Dreadednet and Nicky. Now I'm reading this forum about two years and it gives me a lot of useful information, mainly because members report from their own experience. Next November I will come to Thailand again for three weeks, then I hope to meet some members. And at least I will use what I have read here. I'm from the Netherlands. I like to read this forum almost every day.

Yes Vessey we will look forward to your trip reports, but spare us the details of your activities with ladyboys and girls.

I have met bisexual guys in Pattaya who first discovered gay sex via ladyboys, but in one case it took a long time for him to enter a gay bar and even longer for him to off a boy.

Some ladyboys advertise on GR. They cover the full spectrum from boys with makeup and female clothes to having large breasts, long hair etc, and I suppose it would be to the latter that previously hetro guys would be attracted.

More questions from a "newbie"

-From other threads it is said a phone needs to be brought to a store to register the SIM card. A mobile from the West does not work in Thailand and a new SIM card needs to be bought? Or it is a question of cost of using a North American SIM card?

-From "Back again in Pattaya thread; Anonone writes; 3 manly Thais behind screen anxious to be caressed, and of course I obliged. One had already cume 2 times that night, but still had an impressive finish."

You can touch and jerk guys when they are sitting at your table in a gogo bar??.

-When using Hornet, GayRomeo from your homeland in the "exploring" mode to prepare yourself for your trip. Have a lot of you been asked by first time contacts for money (to be sent by Western Union or Moneygram) because they fell sick, cannot pay for a doctor, etc.....?

Thanks!

-From other threads it is said a phone needs to be brought to a store to register the SIM card. A mobile from the West does not work in Thailand and a new SIM card needs to be bought? Or it is a question of cost of using a North American SIM card?

-From "Back again in Pattaya thread; Anonone writes; 3 manly Thais behind screen anxious to be caressed, and of course I obliged. One had already cume 2 times that night, but still had an impressive finish."

You can touch and jerk guys when they are sitting at your table in a gogo bar??.

-When using Hornet, GayRomeo from your homeland in the "exploring" mode to prepare yourself for your trip. Have a lot of you been asked by first time contacts for money (to be sent by Western Union or Moneygram) because they fell sick, cannot pay for a doctor, etc.....?

Thanks!

You can use your mobile in Thailand but the roaming charges for data and call charges may well be excessive. Take it to a store and get a local SIM. Cheap and easy and you can give your number freely knowing you won't get unexpected calls when you get home.

What you can get away with varies from go-go bar to go-go bar.

I've not been conned that way, but I'm sure some will try it on. Don't fall for it either before you go, on Grindr or GR, or when you are there in person. The vast majority of boys I have encountered have not tried anything like this but you always hear stories.

Guest anonone

You can touch and jerk guys when they are sitting at your table in a gogo bar??.

-When using Hornet, GayRomeo from your homeland in the "exploring" mode to prepare yourself for your trip. Have a lot of you been asked by first time contacts for money (to be sent by Western Union or Moneygram) because they fell sick, cannot pay for a doctor, etc.....?

Thanks!

Hi worldatlarge.

Your western phone will work fine in Thailand if that is what you need.  As forky123 has mentioned, be sure to understand how much you will be charged for using it (roaming charges can be crazy high). 

The part about registering a Thai phone number is a recent change.  With an "unlocked" mobile phone, you can easily get a SIM card for your phone that gives you a Thai phone number and access to cheap data plans, etc.  Thailand has just recently started requiring users to register their SIM card so they can identify who is using what SIM card. Before, it was all very anonymous.  

Regarding your gogo bar question, it really is dependent on each individual place.  In most gogo bars, some mild, discrete groping (with clothes on) is about all you would expect.  A brief opportunity to size things up before committing, so to speak.  There are some notable exceptions.

Good Boys in Sunee Plaza has a screened in area at the back of the bar where things get really "hands-on".

Eros is also a hands-on place, though there is no screened off area.  Action is sometimes semi-concealed by holding a pillow in front of things...sometimes there is no concealment at all.

Nice Boys has a lot of staff playing with themselves...and you can have a feel for a small tip...but usually they don't go all the way there.

If you are unsure, it is best not to just assume that groping...and especially jerking off...is acceptable there.  Take a look around and see what others are doing.  If it is that type of place, the staff are going to instigate something pretty quick anyway. 

Regarding Gay Romeo (et all), don't be so worried about being pestered for money.  It is not all that common and you have the ultimate power...you can say "no".  On the other hand, don't make promises about hooking up with them during your trip or such.  I understand the desire to make some friends while waiting for the trip, but it is most likely that plans will not hold up and feelings will get hurt anyway. 

Hope that is helpful.  Cheers.

**Added.  I recalled a more detailed report I put together earlier this year during a Pattaya visit.  You may find it adds some more detail of some of the Sunee bars.  http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9979-pattaya-thoughts-july-2015-visit/

Thanks Anonone for the above answer and for the other one on your June visit. It answers a lot to any question I have!! And from that one to the other posts asking about Bangkok. In fact thanks to everyone posting as it gives a real great overview of where, when and hows-to's around Bangkok and Pattaya.

Naturally, it does bring up more questions!! I read about the massage places with happy ending; are they real good massages in those places or to get a "real" Thai massage (meaning to get to relieve muscle tension of stress) one should head-up to Babylon or which other one either in Bangkok and Pattaya?

There are good and bad massages both in the places you may get a happy ending and the more traditional places. It more depends on what you class as a good massage and luck on who gives it to you. I have had both bad and good massages in both. As a generality, the younger you like your masseur to be, the less experience he is likely to have and the worse the massage. Don't assume that happy endings are limited to the none traditional places either. You may be offered one at a traditional massage place, though don't assume you will.

For myself, sex is all part of the massage experience, so I kind of go with the flow and let the masseur take the lead. As I'm mostly bottom that works well for me and I've had some truly great massage experiences in LOS. One thing you may find is that in some of the massage places closer to Soi Twilight that less time may be spent on the massage than you might like and the boy may rush to the ending. I think that may be due to the types of customers they see there and the experiences of the boys.

I have lots more massage places to try next visit. At the moment my favourite places are Hero and Adonis. I've not had a bad massage, or bad happy ending for that matter, in either.

If you want better descriptions of a lot of the massage places, search for some of Vinapu's posts. He has wide experience of the various massage places and you can't go far wrong following his advice. One tip I learned from one of his posts was that when faced with a load of masseurs and you are trying to choose one, go for the one that is smiling at you. I've not gone wrong with that bit of advice so far

For myself, sex is all part of the massage experience, so I kind of go with the flow and let the masseur take the lead. ..... One thing you may find is that in some of the massage places closer to Soi Twilight that less time may be spent on the massage than you might like and the boy may rush to the ending. I think that may be due to the types of customers they see there ...................

I believe your last sentence reflects goings there - it 's not a boys who are rushing things but rather horny clients with wandering hands which boys are taking as a signal that client is  up to different kind of mutilation than massage.

I never felt rushed in soi Twilight places but as everywhere I try to behave for a while. It's why 1 1/2 hr massage is better for me than 1 hr one. Longer term gives ample  time for both massage and afters.

Yes I confirm  your advice- when in doubt go for one who is showing an interest in you  / smiles , gestures / .Don't dismiss diminutive twinks, sometimes they provide surprisingly strong massage / and sport surprisingly big attributes/.

But general rule I observe in respect of massage is : more mature and experienced boy, better massage is.

I never felt rushed in soi Twilight places but as everywhere I try to behave for a while. It's why 1 1/2 hr massage is better for me than 1 hr one. Longer term gives ample time for both massage and afters.

I almost never choose less than 90 minutes. 90 or 120 is the perfect length for massage and afters for me. The sole exception on my last trip was a 60 minute traditional massage when I really didn't expect hanky panky. The boy was clothed throughout but with about 20 minutes to go he dropped his pants and asked if I wanted to chuck-wow him for 1000 baht tip.

Don't dismiss diminutive twinks, sometimes they provide surprisingly strong massage / and sport surprisingly big attributes/.

I have a mental image of 40 boys behind the glass at Hero all with their dicks out waving them around trying to get your attention. I've got to say I never ask ask, or care, about dick size when going for a massage. I do prefer guys that aren't really skinny rakes but to be honest I rarely look beyond smiles and eyes when picking out a masseur. Having said that, I do love the feel of a hardening big dick during a massage, especially when the boy uses it to raise the anticipation for the 2nd part of the massage.

I have a mental image of 40 boys behind the glass at Hero all with their dicks out waving them around trying to get your attention

for all reading that who never went to HERO - this is just mental image. I never saw Hero or in fact any other massage boy actually to pull out dick to get an attention, smiling , flexing muscles , yes , but showing wares - only at go-go.