brall3

DID HE REALLY SAY THAT?!?!!!

The other night while enjoying drinks at Serene, several Russians came in and squeezed into the already crowded bar. Two of the Russian guys were quite handsome. The Russians smiled and said something to me. I smiled back with no idea what was said. Apparently they thought I was Russian; this happens a lot especially on the buses going to Jomtien, but no Russian blood here. O.k. I digress.

Sitting at the table immediately to my right was a much older man and his young Thai companion. The young Thai boy was really carried away by two of the cute Russians because he was constantly starring at them.

The older man said something to the Thai boy and he replied: "I like, beautiful". A few minutes later the older man said something else to his young Thai companion, who was still starring and smiling at the two Russians. The Thai boy said aloud: "very beautiful, you not so beautiful but have beautiful heart, I like you". Oh my gosh, did he really say that?????

Almost immediately the older man paid the bill and got up to leave with the young Thai boy in tow. As they left, the Thai boy laid his right hand on the shoulder of one of the Russians and kept looking back and smiling at him. The Russian did not respond one way or another. As he walked off, the Thai boy continued looking back and smiling at the Russians who never responded. That kid had some balls on him. Oops, I need another expression because the Thai boy was quite effeminate - lol. Life in Thailand can be quite interesting, to say the least.

I think the older man chose the wrong feelings.

He should have let his Thai boy flirt with the Russians with a sense of amusement.

If the Russians responded, he should have invited them to their table in hopes that he could get them to join together on some bed around him.

And if the Russians didn't respond, he could then console the Thai boy even more impressed by his beautiful heart with his own cock. 

If the older guy in the OP accepts that it is his 'Good Heart' (and open wallet) that his boy loves then perhaps all is well.

I am older, overweight and decidedly not a 'hansum man'

My little cherub is primarily interested in my wallet, I know that.

I am primarily interested in using and abusing his body, he knows that.

As long as we can each accept that it may yet prove a mutually convenient 'match made in heaven' LOL

The gay Russians are only interested in other gay Russians. Only rarely do they show interest in the Thai boys.

hmhm, WillieWillie, you are hurting my feelings of belonging to the nation :)

Actually, the cheapest way to go abroad would be to buy a packed tour - and a "double packed tour" is cheaper than two "single"; so sometimes they are really a couple. And I could assure you, there are many Thai love stories reported at Russian forums

Just for the record, the post is about the way the Thai guy was obviously rude and disrespectful to his older companion and NOT ABOUT RUSSIAN/THAI relationships. But then again, that is typical of many posts on this site.

How often have we seen a simple post turn into a monumental expose of any and everything under the sun? O.k. the door is wide open, let the irrelevant comments begin!!!!

Brall3, that is typical for any conversation, I believe :)

And I agree with some previous comments - rudeness is quite cultural thing: as I see it Thais really have different ideas what is rude and what is polite. I suppose, you are not from Russia, so we both have different ideas about it as well (but the case you described would be impolite from standard Russian point of view too).

Just for the record, the post is about the way the Thai guy was obviously rude and disrespectful to his older companion and NOT ABOUT RUSSIAN/THAI relationships. But then again, that is typical of many posts on this site.

How often have we seen a simple post turn into a monumental expose of any and everything under the sun? O.k. the door is wide open, let the irrelevant comments begin!!!!

I don't find  "very beautiful, you not so beautiful but have beautiful heart, I like you" something so rude or disrespectful.

An older man with plenty of self-confidence should  be able to take the "you not so beautiful"  Taken in comparison with two gorgeous young guys this is nothing.  Taken as an absolute it is harder, but why take it that way, since beauty is relative anyway? 

"the door is wide open, let the irrelevant comments begin!!!" ->  this IS rude and disrespectful to the posters here.

But you deserve praise for having begun the irrelevant comments.

I like  this  " I like you " part in original post, I guess boy was sincere. If he professes 'i LOVE YOU ' that would be BS thogh.

I agree that Thai are sometime quite frank  in their opinions by our standards but that comes with THEIR territory. Particularlky fondly I recall one of Hero boys who told me 'you have  hair like monkey" Lol, I'm not that hairy though

I was with my Thai bf once and one of his Thai female friends who is rather a plain looking girl. She showed a pic of herself with a ladyboy and my bf said ' You look so ugly next to the ladyboy' ......I cringed. When I questioned him about it later, he said 'Oh she is a friend she understands.

Guest Hutchison

I would give the Thai boy credit for being honest. 

If I was the older farang I wouldn't be offended by the truth and grateful that the boy recognised that I had a good heart. We all know (sorry, I cannot speak for everyone) we are not as handsome as the young Russians, so at the end of the day no-one should be hurt.

PS Yes, some Russians do like to stick together however some Russians do like Thais, I have had many reports of this.

Particularlky fondly I recall one of Hero boys who told me 'you have hair like monkey" Lol, I'm not that hairy though

Trust me I am quite slim by Western standard but according to a "very frank" bar boy that I offed I have a belly like a pig and taughed me how to pronounce PIG correctly in Thai. Thanks but no thanks.

Guest Prakanong

Sitting at the table immediately to my right was a much older man and his young Thai companion. The young Thai boy was really carried away by two of the cute Russians because he was constantly starring at them.

The older man said something to the Thai boy and he replied: "I like, beautiful". A few minutes later the older man said something else to his young Thai companion, who was still starring and smiling at the two Russians. The Thai boy said aloud: "very beautiful, you not so beautiful but have beautiful heart, I like you". Oh my gosh, did he really say that?????

I'm not so sure what is so unusual here.  The young guy was obviously provoked into making a comment - twice - by his old companion. What was he supposed to say?  He saw two  young, hot, non-Thai guys in an area where young, hot, non-Thai  guys are in short supply and couldn't help staring - that's not so unnatural, is it?  And when ticked off/caught out, he gave a typically diplomatic answer: "You may not be good-looking but I like you because (a) you like me and (b) you spend money on me without asking too many questions."  Surely you didn't expect him to say: "You're an ugly old man but I'm here with you because you're my walking atm."  Now THAT would be very rude and very un-Thai. 

In my opinion the boy was not only being disrespectful to the older farang but also disloyal.

I cannot abide disloyalty so my reaction would be far more dramatic than what actually occurred.

His words were typical Thai.......total lack of tact, and not I think deliberately disrespectful, but I agree his actions were awful and totally disrespectful as well as disloyal. His words were normal for Thais as that is how they address friends/family and strangers alike. They state the facts good and bad, whereas we in the West are quick to state the good and are tactful with the negative.

When I visit bf family in Thailand, because it's 3 months between visits, they always firstly declare if I am thinner, have put on weight or no change, all stated in matter-of-fact way. Often before they inform me of my changes they are quick to point out their own, especially any negative aspects, like they will quickly say...'am more black skin! working farmer!' or during holiday periods of less work when they are sitting around eating more and consider that they have put on weight will state they are, 'Ou-an (fat)', even though they look the same to me. Bf's friends will always talk together and discuss their various pluses and negatives. Especially if someone has more face spots (achne) but will also compliment if nice haircut or cute aspects. A typical comment last visit was a female friend of bf who had clearly (even to me) put on weight, it was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms she was fatter than my last visit, but that it was ok because her husband preferred something to 'hold onto to' as it were. She just nodded and laughed along with everyone, she didn't seem one bit fazed.  

As for the boys conduct, it was disgraceful. Whether he was paid company for his farang or worse, an actual bf, his actions of making his feelings known by staring, looking back and smiling at the Russians, were very disrespectful, especially as the boy made it so obvious that others looking on could clearly see that he was trying to interact with these Russian while in the company of his companion. A Thai would be very unhappy if the other way around, purely for the massive 'loss of face' aspect. He made his companion look a complete fool, and was totally disrespectful. It is no excuse just because they happened to be in a gay area with attractive young guys there. What was the boy expecting to come out of that situation, other than something negative given he was completely blanked by the Russians, yet still had to be in the company of the companion he made to look foolish?   

I'm not so sure what is so unusual here.  The young guy was obviously provoked into making a comment - twice - by his old companion. What was he supposed to say?  He saw two  young, hot, non-Thai guys in an area where young, hot, non-Thai  guys are in short supply and couldn't help staring - that's not so unnatural, is it?  And when ticked off/caught out, he gave a typically diplomatic answer: "You may not be good-looking but I like you because (a) you like me and (b) you spend money on me without asking too many questions."  Surely you didn't expect him to say: "You're an ugly old man but I'm here with you because you're my walking atm."  Now THAT would be very rude and very un-Thai. 

Provoked?? into making a comment...hardly! he took it upon himself to say what he did. What he is supposed to say? how about something like 'there are a couple of attractive Russians over there, aren't they beautiful' which if they were would be perfectly normal. Having a 'look' is normal, staring and blatantly trying to attract the attention of others while in the company of a companion is not, it is damn rude.

Again...'diplomatic answer? I hardly think so!......no....it was a typical clumsy, lactless Thai answer, which given the circumstances was totally un-necessary, why did he need to point out that his companion was 'not beautiful'? or make any comparison just because the two Russians were beautiful. It was something not needed to be pointed out, most people know what they look like without the need to have it bluntly drawn to their attention.

Typical Thai, that's exactly what came to my mind as well. A few days ago, a gay Thai friend of mine looked through pictures of two of his girl friends, both present. He commented that one looked fat and black, and the other one very beautiful. You'd think that the former would be offended, but among Thai friends, it really doesn't seem to be such a big thing.

Trust me I am quite slim by Western standard but according to a "very frank" bar boy that I offed I have a belly like a pig and taughed me how to pronounce PIG correctly in Thai. Thanks but no thanks.

this only proves that Thai and western standards are different when comes to waist size, LOL

I'd not pay attention to what boy says but rather concentrate on his external attractiveness, after all this is why he was hired for although nice conversation is always a bonus .

Guest Prakanong

His words were typical Thai.......total lack of tact, and not I think deliberately disrespectful, but I agree his actions were awful and totally disrespectful as well as disloyal. His words were normal for Thais as that is how they address friends/family and strangers alike....

Provoked?? into making a comment...hardly! he took it upon himself to say what he did.

I say "provoked" as the young man's remarks were made in response to to what his older friend said.  We don't know what the older friend said and I took the young man's remarks at face value.

There's nothing "typical" or particularly Thai about what the young man said; what he said should be viewed against the social context he was in, the company he was with and his own socio-economic and educational background.  One can make all sorts of (erroneous) assumptions when one listens in to the conversation of others, whether intentionally or not.  We do not know the whole story - something might have happened between the young man and his old companion and the young man might have been trying to make the old man jealous.  Maybe their sex life was dead and he was trying to persuade his old partner to "up the game" a little and not to take him for granted.  Anything is possible!

When people start talking about "respect", and, god forbid, "loyalty" over random hearsay posted on the Internet, they are really dating themselves - and the colonial bubbles they apparently still live in.  I'm surprised no one has brought up "obey/obedience" yet.   Huffing and puffing over a perceived slight in a snapshot of a story that someone else told.  And all this because it happened in a public place in front of other westerners and the farang's ego was bruised.  If it were me, I'd be more interested in the handsome kik, pretty wife or girlfriend the young man is probably keeping on the side - courtesy of his farang's bank account - of which the farang has no clue whatsoever.

Guest calvinmac23

i think this stems from the fact that most thais only know basic english as far as construction of sentences are concern. that is perhaps why they sound tactless. if your english vocabulary is vast, you can choose the proper word to make you sentence not/less offensive. but if you only know one word, offfensive or not, then you will use that word. just my 2 cents on this subject.

If it were me, I'd be more interested in the handsome kik, pretty wife or girlfriend the young man is probably keeping on the side - courtesy of his farang's bank account - of which the farang has no clue whatsoever.

Or perhaps the farang knows the young thai friend is married with 2 kids.

i think this stems from the fact that most thais only know basic english as far as construction of sentences are concern. that is perhaps why they sound tactless. if your english vocabulary is vast, you can choose the proper word to make you sentence not/less offensive. but if you only know one word, offfensive or not, then you will use that word. just my 2 cents on this subject.

I like your kind reasoning of a non-condemning explanation of why Thais may appear to some as being tactless.  After all, they are smart people, and they would not speak in a way that they themselves perceive as ugly. Since this happens in their country, they have the right to be judged by their standards.

The only problem I have with that explanation is what Thais say to each other - in Thai. It often goes in the same direction, as I've mentioned in an example above, and would be considered tactless by Western standards while it's quite okay in Thailand.