numazu

Is Phuket Worth It?

Thanks guys for the great tips. After thinking about my options I decided to book my flight via Bangkok Airways directly. Travelocity had AirAsia (with luggage allowance) $40 cheaper per ticket than Bangkok Airways for the flight times I wanted, but booking on AirAsia and Bangkok Airways websites directly was cheaper than going thru the 3rd party website. With booking directly, since AirAsia was only $15 cheaper than Bangkok Airways for the flight times I wanted (mid-day), I opted for Bangkok Airways, which has stellar reviews on TripAdvisor. Any experience here on the quality of Bangkok Airways?

I still have to decide on a hotel in Patong, and looking at Phuket town also for a night or two.

I learn something new everyday: my Myanmar boy companion sent me a photo of his passport (to help me with booking the flights) and explained to me that the Burmese do not have Last Names (he has three first names). AirAsia website anticipates this and had instructions to fill in both First and Last Name fields even if you do not have a last name. Bangkok Airways did not have this direction, but I followed AirAsia's instructions. Hopefully it is not a problem.

Bangkok Air is a good choice. I've flown with them a few times in the last couple of years. They've been Skytrax Best Regional Airline 6 or 7 times in the last decade or so. They call themselves "Boutique Airline" and it shows in their service that they want to be diferent from other carriers. And of course I prefer BKK over DMK when flying from Bangkok

Guest abang1961

During my last Phuket trip in Nov 2015, I visited Phuket Town  throughout the day.

Yes it was a 9 am to 5 pm task.. lots of walking around the older area with Chinese signboardsa and several temples along the way.

On another trip, I went to Central Festival for my fix of Ka Moo (pork with rice) and bought some nick-nacks before heading towards town.  More walking, photo-taking on that day.  However, I met a few backpackers and they told me that it was extremely quiet and dark in the evening.  The nightlife in Patong is more happening.

So, an overnight in the town area may not be a good idea.  Just wake up early and take the baht bus (30 THB) to Phuket Town.  The unofficial bus stop is some 50 metres from Soi Bangla, walk against traffic from the police station.  I waited for 20 mins to hop into one.

During my last Phuket trip in Nov 2015, I visited Phuket Town  throughout the day.

Yes it was a 9 am to 5 pm task.. lots of walking around the older area with Chinese signboardsa and several temples along the way.

On another trip, I went to Central Festival for my fix of Ka Moo (pork with rice) and bought some nick-nacks before heading towards town.  More walking, photo-taking on that day.  However, I met a few backpackers and they told me that it was extremely quiet and dark in the evening.  The nightlife in Patong is more happening.

So, an overnight in the town area may not be a good idea.  Just wake up early and take the baht bus (30 THB) to Phuket Town.  The unofficial bus stop is some 50 metres from Soi Bangla, walk against traffic from the police station.  I waited for 20 mins to hop into one.

Thanks. I'm definitely staying in Patong. I've made a reservation at the Holiday Inn Phuket - Patong Beach, and it looks walkable to the gay area, as well as the beach. Anyone had experience staying at the hotel? Looks OK on TripAdvisor, and I emailed the hotel and they are no joiner fees.  I can definitely cancel if there are issues with it, or if anyone has a great alternative that is accessible to both nightlife and the beach.

As far as activities, I'm looking at a Canoe ride on Phang Nga Bay and do caving:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Phuket/Canoe-Cave-Explorer-Phang-Nga-Bay-Tour-from-Phuket/d349-3685HKT09C

And maybe sign up for this city tour:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Phuket/Private-Tour-Phuket-Introduction-City-Sightseeing-Tour/d349-3685HKT05P

Anyone have experience with organized tours in Phuket like the Cave exploring one and the city tour one?

It's definitely worth a day trip to the Phi Phi islands, if you're comfortable withb long bumpy speed boat rides

Are the speed boat rides especially bumpy? I imagine April to not have inclement weather but still not a fan of bumpy boat rides. Maybe Phi Phi is worth the uncomfortable ride? Great pics of the island online. Between Phang Nga Bay or Phi Phi which one is better?

12 more days till Thailand :)

Are the speed boat rides especially bumpy? I imagine April to not have inclement weather but still not a fan of bumpy boat rides. Maybe Phi Phi is worth the uncomfortable ride? Great pics of the island online. Between Phang Nga Bay or Phi Phi which one is better?

12 more days till Thailand :)

Wow, you were in Thailand just about a month ago, but now are going back so soon for more fun :-) ?

I did the journey from Krabi; it took about two hours from there- I don't know about the time from Phuket. But I can say that the trip was not "bumpy" and I'm a good judge because I can be sea-sick at the sight of the first wave. I should add that it was in January and the trips don't take place unless the weather is calm.

What was very disappointing to both my boyfriend and me was the visibility for snorkelling. Not only that; the reef around the islands has been degraded to such an extent that there is little marine life to see.

If this isn't a consideration and you are content with just swimming and sight-seeing, Phi Phi is fine.

Guest abang1961

Well this was my experience in 2015.

Check out for Angel Cruise - THB 800 for a big boat cruise.

It was so cheap because the big boat can accommodate up to 200 passengers at one go.

There were 2 decks - the front part of the lower deck was air-conditioned whereas the back was not.

The upper deck was just a sun-roof .. nice for 10 mins but not longer unless you want to BBQ yourself that much.

Most of the younger lads took off their shirts while the female wore swimsuits and bikinis.

Tea, coffee, syrupy water and biscuits were free-of-charge throughout the 2 hour boat ride.

The minivan picked my travelling partner and I at the front steps of our hotel at 7.30 am and ferried us (with 8 others) to the jetty where we boarded the big boat. At 9 am the boat departed and after 1,5 hours, it was time for snorkeling at Monkey Bay.   Equipment were issued at no cost - life jacket and snorkeling mask.  It was quite a pleasant way to enjoy the marine lives under the water.

An hour later, the boat left for Phi Phi Island.  The waters at the island was so crystal clear that schools of fishes were easily spotted.  By noon, we were all seated (8 to 10) at the table where plates of food came fast and furious.  After lunch, we could relax by the beach before the returning trip at 2.15 pm.   The food was palatable enough although the cute Israeli lads at my table were more of the "eye candy" of the day.  Too bad, their English was limited!

Really for THB 800, it was a REAL STEAL. One should bear in mind that prices vary according to season and the tickets I purchased were from a tour agent near Bazaan Market, just 2 mins walk from McDonalds, Jungceylon.  Those agents at the beach front were trying to push the same tour at THB 2500. So, compare the offers and enjoy the one-day excursion.

Well this was my experience in 2015.

Check out for Angel Cruise - THB 800 for a big boat cruise.

It was so cheap because the big boat can accommodate up to 200 passengers at one go.

There were 2 decks - the front part of the lower deck was air-conditioned whereas the back was not.

The upper deck was just a sun-roof .. nice for 10 mins but not longer unless you want to BBQ yourself that much.

Most of the younger lads took off their shirts while the female wore swimsuits and bikinis.

Tea, coffee, syrupy water and biscuits were free-of-charge throughout the 2 hour boat ride.

The minivan picked my travelling partner and I at the front steps of our hotel at 7.30 am and ferried us (with 8 others) to the jetty where we boarded the big boat. At 9 am the boat departed and after 1,5 hours, it was time for snorkeling at Monkey Bay. Equipment were issued at no cost - life jacket and snorkeling mask. It was quite a pleasant way to enjoy the marine lives under the water.

An hour later, the boat left for Phi Phi Island. The waters at the island was so crystal clear that schools of fishes were easily spotted. By noon, we were all seated (8 to 10) at the table where plates of food came fast and furious. After lunch, we could relax by the beach before the returning trip at 2.15 pm. The food was palatable enough although the cute Israeli lads at my table were more of the "eye candy" of the day. Too bad, their English was limited!

Really for THB 800, it was a REAL STEAL. One should bear in mind that prices vary according to season and the tickets I purchased were from a tour agent near Bazaan Market, just 2 mins walk from McDonalds, Jungceylon. Those agents at the beach front were trying to push the same tour at THB 2500. So, compare the offers and enjoy the one-day excursion.

Thanks, this is great info. I'll follow your advice and probably just decide there the day before if we want to go to Phi Phi. Since time is a premium for us this trip, an after breakfast departure, followed by lunch and then departure mid-afternoon sounds great. And 800 baht sounds like a better deal than the $80 or so I see on viator.com

Wow, you were in Thailand just about a month ago, but now are going back so soon for more fun :-) ?

Haha it just worked out that way. This is a more traditional vacation (i.e. more sightseeing, shopping, pampering, less sex tourist, sex massage, Grindr hookups). It's fun, but a different kind of fun :). Of course things happen, especially in LOS, so you never know LOL.

There is a gogo bar in the paradise complex that does not have the cabaret shows, but the boys there were pretty much hands on. Anyone know if it is still there or what its name is?

Yes I would like to know what the name of the bar is as well, if it still exists.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I probably won’t be doing a trip report to describe my three week BKK and Phuket trip during Songkran, GCircuit and days after, since I only had sex with two people (my BF – American, and my buddy – Burmese), so it’s probably boring compared to the other reports here :).

It’s my first time in Phuket, and I spent 4 days and 3 nights in Phuket with my young Burmese buddy. Some general about the city (and the trip with my buddy, in general):

1) I wasn’t prepared for the airport being as far from Patong as it was. Not as far as Pattaya is from Suvarnabhumi (I use a 900 baht car service that gets me to Boyztown), but not as close to BKK is. There is a 100 Baht surcharge on top of the metered rate if you use the taxis. I was not prepared to use public transport, and it was very hot, so was more than happy to pay the 730 Baht fate (including the surcharge), to get to the Holiday Inn Resort in Patong.

2) Patong Beach really is a much better beach than Pattaya’s, and we went there to walk all three days for the sunset. Reminded me of Waikiki beach. No desire from both of us to swim it, since the hotel pools were way more awesome.

3) The gay club scene was kind of paltry, compared to BKK’s or Pattaya’s. But at least there was one. Enjoyed ZAG and YES! Clubs. Gogo boys were much older than we were used to, but still hot nevertheless. In contrast, the girlie bars on Soi Bangla was ALIVE with activity. We even decided to have drinks at one because of all the excitement around the area. Maybe we went on off nights (non weekend, after Songkran, before Pride).

4) Grindr less commercial than Pattaya. In Pattaya, I’ll be slammed with Money Boys advertising their wares, often for really cheap. In Phuket, I got a total of one MB offering massage and “everything” sex for 1500 Baht (discounted to 1300 Baht a day later). Maybe it is a function of Songkran and boys went home for the holidays, or if it is just how Phuket is.

5) You guys were right, Phuket is better to be experienced with a friend. It is less gay, and less gay-visible, so having a buddy to explore and see the sites is better. It is also surprisingly romantic: the sunset, the vibe, the food, all lent to love being in the air. Maybe it was just me and the Burmese boy I was with, but boy, was I in trouble.

I’ll probably go back again, this time with my BF. Thanks for the advice!

5) You guys were right, Phuket is better to be experienced with a friend. It is less gay, and less gay-visible, so having a buddy to explore and see the sites is better. It is also surprisingly romantic: the sunset, the vibe, the food, all lent to love being in the air. Maybe it was just me and the Burmese boy I was with, but boy, was I in trouble.

Why were you in trouble?

Did the love in the air never precipitate?

Or was your Burmese boy too frigid?

Why were you in trouble?

Did the love in the air never precipitate?

Or was your Burmese boy too frigid?

On the contrary, everything was hot and heavy from Day 1.  Hanging out with a young and cute boy for 8 days in a romantic city doing very romantic things is not good for anyone who already has a boyfriend, so I was definitely playing with fire.  He seemed to have grown fond of me as well, and he cried on our last night together, before I had to hop on a plane.  Lesson learned: I need to just keep it within fuck buddy terms (something I have a problem doing, since I love the boyfriend experience), or just stick to gogo boys, preferably a different one a day (like a multivitamin, and equally good for my health lol).

On the contrary, everything was hot and heavy from Day 1.  Hanging out with a young and cute boy for 8 days in a romantic city doing very romantic things is not good for anyone who already has a boyfriend, so I was definitely playing with fire.  He seemed to have grown fond of me as well, and he cried on our last night together, before I had to hop on a plane.  Lesson learned: I need to just keep it within fuck buddy terms (something I have a problem doing, since I love the boyfriend experience), or just stick to gogo boys, preferably a different one a day (like a multivitamin, and equally good for my health lol).

Yes, the same old problem...

Making love, it's difficult to keep it as sex only and not get other feelings involved. 

And we cannot shut down our conscience.

Maybe there is something good to polygamy.

Each trip you bring back a new boy into your harem.

And the boys you have already there would like that too.

A win-win situation...

Maybe there is something good to polygamy.

good point. I don't know where the whole human obsession with monogamy comes from, really. In the past, polygamy existed, but that was a one sided affair only for men, women of course couldn't do that. Maybe they don't want it either, I don't know. But (some) men seem to veer in that direction - and who says you can't love more than one person????? People love at least 2 people right from the beginning of their lives, i.e. mother and father. Then, perhaps, more family members, then a lover, so why not more than one lover? As always, everyone is different, but if it works for someone, why not?

good point. I don't know where the whole human obsession with monogamy comes from, really. In the past, polygamy existed, but that was a one sided affair only for men, women of course couldn't do that. Maybe they don't want it either, I don't know. But (some) men seem to veer in that direction - and who says you can't love more than one person????? People love at least 2 people right from the beginning of their lives, i.e. mother and father. Then, perhaps, more family members, then a lover, so why not more than one lover? As always, everyone is different, but if it works for someone, why not?

I haven't been monogamous with my BF since close the beginning of our relationship, because it worked for us and we knew that the love we have is different from the sex we (mostly me) have with other people. Loving someone else, like a BF, is something I try not to do, since I already have a great thing going with my man. With my time with my Burmese buddy, my mind played games on me, and there were moments when I thought I'd like him to be my BF as well. During our time together in BKK two weeks ago, whenever we would see or meet some hot Thai guy at Fake Club or GCircuit, my BF would joke around about getting him as a Thai "houseboy" to stay with us at our house in California. I told him good thing we are not married yet, because this meant that we would have to marry the boy to get him a Green Card so he can live with us. He just laughed at this (preposterous) idea, and never thought I was serious. I'd think that it will be an unnecessary complication to put on our relationship, which has been really great since Day 1. So I may not be monogamous, but being polygamous, or having two or more BFs, is something I might not be ready for yet, or ever.

This week back has been interesting, since I've been overcompensating with the tenderness and love for my BF (and I missed him too, since I was gone a week to go to Phuket, so it was easy), at the same time been trying to limit my Line messages with Burmese boy, as to not lead him on.

Love is not an easy thing to sort out.

I have a Partner of 50 years, and we have been married for 2 years.

I am 76yo. He is 70 yo and a handsome white guy!!!

But over the years our Relationship has become more being Friends.

We have not had sex together for many years.

Still he is my true love!!

So I go to the Philippines on Holiday. Have been doing so for 12 years.

My Partner will not travel there with me and knows I will meet up with hot and sexy guys!!

I have really fallen in love with a wonderful Pinoy guy. He is 22yo and I have known him for 5 years.

HAHAHA do not count back.

I would like him to come live with us in the USA. And he would give anything to live with us.

I have suggested Houseboy, Student, Caregiver...

But my Partner refuses to consider it.

So Ms Landers, what should I do???

;-)

Guest ronnie4you

I'd pass on that idea, but that's just me. I have a similar situation, but crowding it with a "houseboy" would not work for us, although it might work for me!

For some reason I cannot seem to remember my experiences inside the bars of Phuket. I can remember everything clearly outside of the bars but inside is all a fog to me.

I can remember everything about Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya but the bars in Phuket......