ggobkk

Seredipity - January visit - Bangkok, Pattaya, and back

Thanks so much for  your sincere and wonderful report. Your background is extremely similar to mine in most ways (except for the dancers!).  I am looking forward to being back in Bangkok after over ten years away and your report plus many of the postings have been most helpful in building my confidence that I can still have a good time!

Also look forward to meeting some of the members of this group so I can learn and grow in Bangkok and Pattaya.  This is a most useful and supportive site.

Vietnamese treat their tet rather serious, as they will pay respect to their ancesters during that time. The country give their citizen 7-9 working days holiday just for this. Ive live in saigon for a year and during tet everything and i mean everything is closed. We have to buy groceries for 2 week in advance just sonwe have enough food to eat lol. There are some foreign own restaurants that is still open after a week or so though

Really, expecting a Vietnamese to forego Tet with their family is asking a bit much. And considering that someone like Van is probably away most of the year, that's really a time when he should travel back home.

I actually was aware of this and have in past years sent gifts to the families for the celebration.  

In my report I  was attempting, and failing at, using irony to show that some farangs, maybe me, disregard / overlook what's important traditionally and culturaaly to others.  

It's now 6:30 and Van,not having eaten since midnight, is hungry.  I tell him to pick the place.  We wander around Surawong, I mention Madrid, cited by Vinapu for its cashew chicken,

no, vinapu cites Madrid Tavern for the best pizza , his favourite place for  chicken with cashew nuts is Oasis

Ggobkk, as you know, I know Van quite well and he is good friends with my friend. So I chuckle at the similarities of the boys.

In bed, I have the same problem, he needs to touch every inch of it and I like my 1 spot. Fortunately I have a sofa bed for the real bad nights. The a/c is mine. We have plenty of blankets and he gets them all.

We go to Madrid. My friend wasn't so sure the first time. He had some Thai seafood and was happy. But he got to try pizza for the first time and now likes it a lot. About the only western food he will eat.

Great to hear your story

no, vinapu cites Madrid Tavern for the best pizza , his favourite place for  chicken with cashew nuts is Oasis

I stand corrected, I knew Madrid was pizza not chicken with cashew nuts.  I'll plead jet lag...I woke up at 3am this morning and decided to write another post. I wanted to credit why I was walking around looking for a restaurant. This was a slip up...I did finally find Madrid...easier to look for and find when the night market isn't in full swing.  Had two meals there during the trip...

----

---  My body has also moved on, thanks to medical practice and the consequences of listening to doctors.  On the whole I am, for my age, remarkably healthy.  Other than a Pepto Bismol for upset stomach, I take no medications.  According to my doctor, I have the cholesterol of a teenager.  Yet, that same doctor told me that I had a high reading on the test that indicates the possibility of prostate cancer.  Two years back, I heeded her advice and submitted to a prostate biopsy.  

In retrospect, this was not a good idea.  Other than a high reading on the PSA test, I had no other symptoms.  The outcome of the biopsy was two fold: one, I simply have a large prostate thus the high reading; two, the cuts and sample removals from the prostate for the biopsy reduced my ability to ejaculate.  It also lessened somewhat my ability to keep my personal flagpole at attention. 

----

Reading your posts I realize that we have much in common, but this excerpt called my attention for the relevance this has for the not so young gentlemen like me and others.

I had also moved on even before retirement thanks to a dedication to exercise and healthy eating. And I take zero medications. And like you, my only encounter with somewhat serious medicine has been... the prostate.   Some time ago my PSA number doubled, crossed the infamous threshold, and I was not urinating well.  So I visited an urologist for a thorough test, and all the minor results came up negative.  But... the high PSA... only a biopsy could answer that !  I decided to wait, and in the meantime I started taking the herbs recommended for the prostate:  saw palmetto, psyllium, beta sitosterol, etc. and my enlarged prostate got better. Six months later and another visit to the urologist, with the same recommendation: Biopsy!  By then I was under pressure by my GP doctor, my urologist, and my MD son.  What if it is a malignant cancer that could metastasize, blah blah blah.  One full year passed in my indecision. At the next visit, the urologist was convincing and I scheduled a biopsy.  A weak before the time I called off the biopsy... indefinitely.  Now two years after the first move, my BPH is well under control by the inexpensive natural herbs, the PSA stopped climbing, and except for the urologist my two other doctors are satisfied and tell me that I made a wise decision.  It is a pity that one has to be put under so much pressure, and I hope one day there will be a much better answer than that from a prostate biopsy.  In the meantime, I am resolved to Use it before I Lose it.   :)

Guest abang1961

Honestly Asians don't seem to pick the right words to express our feelings.

We, and I included, at times have a moment of retardation and cannot sprout the right words at the special moment.

Van meant that you have a special place in his heart, regardless how many years later.

He really appreciates you for taking care of him and gave him that object of his dream - that leather jacket.

Do keep in close contact with him even after your current trip.

Honestly Asians don't seem to pick the right words to express our feelings.

We, and I included, at times have a moment of retardation and cannot sprout the right words at the special moment.

Van meant that you have a special place in his heart, regardless how many years later.

He really appreciates you for taking care of him and gave him that object of his dream - that leather jacket.

Do keep in close contact with him even after your current trip.

Thanks, abang1961.  I think everyone has a tendency to struggle to find the right words and sometimes fail.  I really knew what Van was saying and appreciated him for it.  On reflection, I realized his cultural approach to life and death is different than mine...and that for him there is continuity of spirit and that my spirit wold be with him.

I hope not to lose touch with him.

Using his map app, Oh navigates us under the highway and across a couple of roads into a calm military area, which have being identified and photographed, we cross, pass through some homes, turn a corner, and another corner, we get to the land entrance of The Royal Barge Museum.

Oh goes back to the original gate to the military complex to retrieve our identifications

I have been to the Royal Barge museum, and arriving on foot (many turns, through slum-like area) it's all open access. Was there any reason other than parking the car that you went into the military area?

Recently when passing by bus, I noticed there are barges visible on the western side of the main road (the museum I went to is east). So there might be more than I thought.

This is the one I went to:

post-9763-0-08773700-1486352673_thumb.jpg

Update: satellite view on google reveals indeed boats in the open on the western side!

post-9763-0-73678200-1486352976_thumb.jpg

I have been to the Royal Barge museum, and arriving on foot (many turns, through slum-like area) it's all open access. Was there any reason other than parking the car that you went into the military area?

Recently when passing by bus, I noticed there are barges visible on the western side of the main road (the museum I went to is east). So there might be more than I thought.

ChristianPFC - thanks for posting the photo - I'm only having limited success in posting photos - and wanted to show one of the Museum.  

We only went through the military area as that was the first  entry point from  where the taxi dropped us off.  I also noticed the barges on the western side and mentioned it to the guide as I thought he was heading in the wrong direction.  He told me it was a training area for the barge masters (???)

I have been to the Royal Barge museum, and arriving on foot (many turns, through slum-like area) it's all open access.

Looks like a nice place to visit.  I will look for it in my next trip, maybe an occasion to visit again the National Museum and then take a stroll across the Phraya river to see the barges.  I like the glitz and ornaments, an opportunity to take some new pictures...