ggobkk

Cremation services for late King to be at end of December

Anyone panning to travel to Bangkok and Thailand in December should be aware of the ceremonies surrounding the late King's cremation.  This article summarizes the current plans.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1208069/royal-funeral-planned-for-late-december

I was planning a trip between Christmas and New Year's.  May reconsider...

I saw this news yesterday. I will be there in November so I am hoping the crematorium will be open to the public. I saw the one for his sister several years ago and it was really beautiful. This should be even grander.

It will certainly be a historic event

One newspaper article suggested the dates would be December 25-29.  Other articles have said the actual dates have not been finalized.

Like Fedssocr, I am planning on going to Bangkok (for the first time in more than a decade) solely to see the completed structure prior to the formal ceremonies.  One government spokesman more than a month ago (it was reported in the press) said that the area would be open to the public to see by early fall.  And this thing is going to be huge....apparently 60 meters square and 50 some meters high.

While I'd like to see the cremation ceremony itself, there's no way I'm going anywhere near that place then as I suspect there will be millions of people attending and the most massive gridlock that Bangkok has ever seen (I also wonder if tourists will be able to find hotel rooms during the dates of the actual ceremonies).  But given it's massive size (I've been following the regular news reports about construction....the underground foundation, massive steel girders, etc.), I'd like to see it ahead of time.

Yes we will have to reconsider as well.  we usually end up in LOS during xmas week.  maybe bangkok will be off the list this year. 

We were in the country when his sister was cremated.  We were in Samui, and saw some of the ceremonies on tv that ran all day.  It was a lights out, alcohol under the table night.  Minor interruptions to us, but i suspect the kings ceremonies to be more of an impact far from the nations capital. 

Having said above, yes, went to see the cremation pyre though upon return to BKK.  and yes very worth the sightseeing diversion. 

These dates have to be chosen to be auspicious, I'm sure the enjoyment of tourists isn't a major concern. And really, it shouldn't be.

But yes, for someone who will come for just a few weeks and is looking for entertainment in the first place, this event will put a damper on their plans. It's pretty much a given that these days will be declared dry days and that entertainment will have to be toned down. Rescheduling such a trip, if possible, sounds like a wise decision.

Now reported to be end of October.

The funeral of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej will be in late October, according to the government spokesman. A government committee overseeing the funeral arrangements had agreed at a meeting on March...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1210949/funeral-of-king-bhumibol-planned-for-late-october. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

not so much a fluid situation ... instead i suggest the stiatuation is that is when they wanted to hold it ... but the tourism board or whomever, said you cant shut down the one of the most visited countries in the world during the busiest week of the year for a funeral! 

it will save the economy millions by moving it to october. 

i suggest the stiatuation is that is when they wanted to hold it ... but the tourism board or whomever, said you cant shut down the one of the most visited countries in the world during the busiest week of the year for a funeral! 

it will save the economy millions by moving it to october. 

yet another example of an outsider not understanding Thai attitudes and Thai ways - I am sure I join the grieving millions in being shocked that even a crude misguided foreigner would believe that any Thai official could have such crass considerations about such an important event

bkkguy

I am sure I join the grieving millions in being shocked that even a crude misguided foreigner would believe that any Thai official could have such crass considerations about such an important event

bkkguy

now  i see where " Intolarant crap shooter" is coming from

I have posted much more deserving comments to earn the label "intolerant crap shooter", and anyway being shocked by such things has a long history, for example a scene from Casablanca (1942):

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/quotes?item=qt0429972

bkkguy

Today while walking around the outside of the Grand Palace and up to the National Museum, I noticed that there is much activity going in Sanam Luang which is totally fenced off in preparation for the upcoming event.  Thousands of people, almost all in black, are entering Sanam Luang to observe the preparations and show their respect by slowly walking around a very tall platform that is being erected.  I approached the entry gate respectfully but was turned away very politely by a well spoken uniformed official who said that entry was limited to Thai citizens.   

The best plan for those interested in seeing the ceremony live may be to find a good TV in the country and observe what they may televise for the many people in Thailand who will not be able to come in person. Perhaps if you are close friends to a high ranking government official or member of the royal household or a foreign diplomat stationed in Bangkok ,you may be able to attend or maybe not.

The people in black were most likely Thais lining up in very long queues to see the Kings catafalque in the Throne Hall in the Royal Palace. There are still huge queues every day. I really do not think many will go to see the cremation structures until they are much nearer completion in a few months.

An article from the Associated Press in our US Newspaper said the cremation would be on October 25.

And it mentioned that will be the second 5 day mourning period to honor the King.

So I am not clear if the 5 days is from October 20-25 or October 25-30.

Anyone have better information from there in Thailand??

Today while walking around the outside of the Grand Palace and up to the National Museum, I noticed that there is much activity going in Sanam Luang which is totally fenced off in preparation for the upcoming event. Thousands of people, almost all in black, are entering Sanam Luang to observe the preparations and show their respect by slowly walking around a very tall platform that is being erected. I approached the entry gate respectfully but was turned away very politely by a well spoken uniformed official who said that entry was limited to Thai citizens.

The best plan for those interested in seeing the ceremony live may be to find a good TV in the country and observe what they may televise for the many people in Thailand who will not be able to come in person. Perhaps if you are close friends to a high ranking government official or member of the royal household or a foreign diplomat stationed in Bangkok ,you may be able to attend or maybe not.

I attend to make a visit at the grand palace in August ,Is the whole place is closed for foreigners or only this particular gate ?