sanddunes

The Sao Paulo diaries

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomasian said:

I'm currently suffering from the same depression. Or maybe because I'm still jetlagged. But I fell in love with the city and its people. Did you find it easy to find a job there? I assumed you speak Portuguese fluently. It'd be nice to migrate there, I think.

Brazil's economy is in the pits.

Many Brazilans cannot find a job. 

Most foreigners are prohibited by Brazilian law from working in Brazil.

However, if a foreigner wants to work in Brazil, and if that same foreigner has an occupation considered vital to Brazil, the foreigner can usually and legally work in brazil.

There are unusual instances around the vital requirement but exceptions are rare.

Several years ago, Brazil allowed approximately 4,500 doctors from Cuba to work in Brazil.  In fact, the Cuban doctors were encouraged to work in Brazil.  Brazil was short on physicians.   

The Braziian government actually paid Cuba for the doctors to immigrate to Brazil to perform medical services.

Bottom line - The poster who left Italy to work in Brazil must have a vital occupation in order for him to legally work in Brazil.

• Members
On 5/24/2018 at 6:03 PM, Tomasian said:

I'm currently suffering from the same depression. Or maybe because I'm still jetlagged. But I fell in love with the city and its people. Did you find it easy to find a job there? I assumed you speak Portuguese fluently. It'd be nice to migrate there, I think.

Sorry about the delay.

I did find my job quite easily. Being able to speak an at least average portuguese helped quite a bit. To people asking about what kind of job I am doing....I work in the IT field.

What mvan said is correct...it you wanna go to Brazil to work as a waiter, it's not going to happen. Visa policies are pretty strict.

But if you have a good background and your profile is interesting and you work in a field where there's a lack of highly demanded specialized professionals. The job will find you.

I should also say that I do have a nationality which legally helps a lot in Brazil due to the historical friendship between the 2 countries.

• Members

The problem is that even if you can find a good job in Brazil, the pay is awful and far less than you would be making in the US.

I was surprised how little accountants, pilots, etc. make there.  I was told a junior accountant at Ernst and Young in Sao Paulo makes just 4200 reals a month (1,141 USD). I know an anesthesiologist in Rio who gets paid a lot by Brazilian standards - 300k reals a year.  But in the US they make 3 to 4 times times that.

The ideal would be to find a job with a US corporation that pays you in dollars and assigns you to work in Brazil (most Fortune 500 companies operate in Brazil).

Or, another possibility might be to get a job with a US company that allows “remote” working. 

I know an American who moved to Rio and teaches English online to Chinese students for $20 USD an hour. He couldn’t make enough teaching Brazilians and getting paid in reals.

• Members
1 hour ago, sanddunes said:

I know an American who moved to Rio and teaches English online to Chinese students for $20 USD an hour. He couldn’t make enough teaching Brazilians and getting paid in reals.

Facebook and Dell computers both have offices in Sao Paulo, with lots of openings when I checked recently (Dell currently has over 90 jobs posted in the Sao Paulo office). I have a friend who works for Dell, and he is stationed in Costa Rica, so it's definitely possible to work for an American company and make US wages while living elsewhere.

• Members
On 5/24/2018 at 1:03 PM, Tomasian said:

One way to cope with post Brazil syndrome is to start planning your next trip to Brazil.  This is what I did many years ago on my initial trip to Rio.  At the end of the trip I booked another trip for 2 weeks later.  But of course one would have to be flexible with time and money for this to happen.

• Members

It’s amazing the Portuguese you gradually pick up after talking with garotos on whatsapp. :hyper:  Today’s lesson:

Tá ligado?

When the garoto asked me this I was puzzled.  Although I was able to interpret the abbreviation as being short for “você esta ligado,” google translated it literally as “are you connected?” which still made no sense in the context of the conversation.

I eventually asked an English -speaking Brazilian friend who explained that it is slang for “ya know what I mean?” and is very popular in Brazilian rap songs.

Cool.  2 words down...and still a lot more left to translate!

“Eu perdi meu ursinho de pelucia. Vc vai pra cama comigo?”

Google translates this as “I lost my teddy bear. Are you going to bed me?”

Sigh.  This doesn’t really make sense either...translating these messages could take all day.  But I have to admit it is kind of fun..

• Members

What frustrates me doing all the translation is that the guys SEEM to acknowledge they understand that it is easier for me to volley back and forth from Translate to 'Zap if they load more sentences into a single dialogue box, but they persist in breaking up perfectly viable paragraphs into: short sentence SEND, brief phrase SEND, word SEND, word SEND, etc etc.

After a few trys I figure it is up to them to do the translating if they want to stay connected. I try not to fuck them up with slanglish and I do integrate a few lines into one msg pass, hoping they catch on. I have broken potential dates when reaching diminishing returns on the onerous Whatsapp aspect. 

All in good fun. I do, however, accept naughty photos one at a time. 

7 hours ago, sanddunes said:

Sigh.  This doesn’t really make sense either...translating these messages could take all day.  But I have to admit it is kind of fun..

I take that as he's going to lonely in bed, no teddy bear to hug...he needs you to hug and sleep together, no?

• Members
On 5/31/2018 at 5:07 PM, sanddunes said:

It’s amazing the Portuguese you gradually pick up after talking with garotos on whatsapp. :hyper:  Today’s lesson:

Tá ligado?

When the garoto asked me this I was puzzled.  Although I was able to interpret the abbreviation as being short for “você esta ligado,” google translated it literally as “are you connected?” which still made no sense in the context of the conversation.

I eventually asked an English -speaking Brazilian friend who explained that it is slang for “ya know what I mean?” and is very popular in Brazilian rap songs.

Cool.  2 words down...and still a lot more left to translate!

Estou precisando pagar aluguel da minha casa e nao consegui o dinheiro todo. Me desculpa te pedir isso. Voce poder enviar algum dinheiro pra me ajudar? Por favor.

I received the above message from my garoto. I speak very little Spanish and no Portuguese but when I saw the keyword 'dinheiro' mentioned twice, I immediately knew he is after some dinero.

I'm sure that some members received similar request from their garoto(s), have you guys actually send the money? I replied that I'd like to help him but it turned me off a bit.

• Members

Paying rent isn’t really a good reason to ask for money, in my opinion.  So in that case I wouldn’t.  

Personally I would only consider sending money for a true emergency that directly effected the gaoroto  (not his grandma or relatives, etc).  And I would have to verify it..

• Members

Various threads here record how working guys invent these stories to get money from you.

I feel that @Tomcal has the best answer: I paraphrase but it’s more or less that “you don’t provide sex for free, I don’t provide money for free”.

I used to travel frequently for long periods in Argentina, and I had similar requests from non-working guys I’d met there. I used to respond that I didn’t have money to send them but that I’d be happy to see them on my next visit and take them to dinner. Everyone was happy to meet me for further dates and they never referred to my refusal to send cash to them. 

As a foreign tourist in Latin America, you are seen as rich by many people there. I think they take the view that you have money to spare so they might as well ask you for some. Refusal does not offend; you are simply seen as not a fool.

• Members

The closest thing to giving money I have done is brought some salon supplies for a friend. He is a stylist and it’s cheaper to get the stuff here in the us than Brazil. I only did if after my second trip and he payed me back. I did this only because I had met him once and knew he wasn’t going to cheat me.

Otherwise I’m simply not doing it. I’ll pay for fun and a meal/date but that’s it.

• Members

This subject AGAIN?

Pay for what you want. Give what you feel comfortable doing. If you think it’ll make you a fool for doing so, then just don’t do it. If it makes you happy and you can afford to lose it, then do it if you want. 

People ask me for shit for all different ridiculous reasons all the time in the States and I don’t kvetch over the decision over whether to give or not to give as much as I see people doing here for guys that are thousands of miles away. It isn’t that serious.

• Members
6 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

This subject AGAIN?

You sound upset that the subject comes up, i don’t think you should be:  every newbie in Brasil is going to have this question, it happens every time with some (most?) of the garotos. 

So each newbie in Brasil will report it to us, and wonder what to do. 

Your answer is appropriate, but don’t be surprised: it will be asked again and again. 

• Members
2 hours ago, sanddunes said:

I wonder why they do the parade during the winter?  It would make more sense to do it when it’s warm 

Your avatar is one of the hottest Brazilian TV actors right? Mario Testino knows about him too, I've seen him on Italian Vogue and Testino has shoot him totally naked (except for the dick), some time ago was possible to Google it, maybe still is, always to die for...