numazu

My Fourth Time in Brazil - Sao Paulo, Santos, Rio de Janeiro

• Members
13 hours ago, numazu1 said:

I guess I shouldn’t spend money like a drunken sailor on leave, especially in front of people forgoing their wages to stay with me on my holiday.

I very much enjoy your reports @numazu1 but I thought this was a particularly telling observation on your part. 

To locals (working guys and others), European and North American visitors must seem very strange: spending thousands of $ on flights and vacation costs yet haggling over a few $ when it comes to personal services.

When I travel in less developed countries, I try to act with restraint while being generous in inviting guys to dinner or to accompany me on trips. But it is difficult: what we see as moderate expenditure, they may view as a fortune.

Edited by msclelovr

• Members
50 minutes ago, numazu1 said:

Just a quick check-in. Starting my 6th! trip to Brazil today. São Paulo, Salavador, Rio. Currently at Guarulhos waiting for my Uber. The airport is full of families waiting for their loved ones to arrive.

Have a great time @numazu1! Feliz Natal to you, Leo and Alex. Looking forward to read your adventure to Salvador as that would be my next trip destination.

• Members
2 hours ago, numazu1 said:

Just a quick check-in. Starting my 6th! trip to Brazil today. São Paulo, Salavador, Rio. Currently at Guarulhos waiting for my Uber. The airport is full of families waiting for their loved ones to arrive.

And the place is pandemonium. I’ve had 6 Uber cancellations. My friend whose place I’m staying for a few days tried to call a driver for me using the 99 ride share app (never heard of it) and even he got cancelled on.

Finally got an Uber on my 7th try and he still got stuck in traffic. Muito cheio aqui:

C29EF1FC-A3FC-4AAB-9B6E-276268F98D3D.thumb.jpeg.47d4024207cfae56a112e84b96e524c5.jpeg

There’s rain forecasted for throughout the holiday weeks ahead for SP and Rio. Hopefully it’s not too much of a buzzkill.

The airport express bus is a good alternative if uber and taxi fail.

Edited by Walker

• Members
On 12/9/2018 at 10:18 PM, numazu1 said:

The selection was not very impressive. “I hope it is not always like this,” Alex said. “It’s Monday, maybe they’re slow on Mondays,” Diego comments. “But we’ve been to a sauna in Rio on a Monday night, and the place was packed!” Alex then says. I remember that night in Pointe 202 with Alex and Leo. It was kind of disappointing that it was a slow night, even this late.

Monday is the slowest night, and 8 pm is late for most nights, but it's still usually good for a boy or two. The week goes like this: Sunday - Fragata (starts mid-afternoon), Monday - slow either place, Tues. - Fragata, Wed. - Lagoa (used to be their biggest night, but I haven't been in a while), Thu. - Lagoa, Fri & Sat. - Lagoa, very busy. Peak time is 6-7 pm., but some hot guys are at Lagoa by 4 to lift weights.

I'm enjoying your reports.

11 hours ago, davet said:

Monday is the slowest night, and 8 pm is late for most nights, but it's still usually good for a boy or two. The week goes like this: Sunday - Fragata (starts mid-afternoon), Monday - slow either place, Tues. - Fragata, Wed. - Lagoa (used to be their biggest night, but I haven't been in a while), Thu. - Lagoa, Fri & Sat. - Lagoa, very busy. Peak time is 6-7 pm., but some hot guys are at Lagoa by 4 to lift weights.

I'm enjoying your reports.

Thanks for the post...I can NEVER remember what nights are good where....

• Members

Numazu's epic, wonderful reports have inspired me to book a flight to Rio for late Feb next year. I haven't been down to Brazil since 2005! So I'm so excited to re-explore the incredible sauna scene (and try out Grindr and Instagram for some more local talent).

I've been more focused on Eastern European and Russian fitness models the last decade. But nothing compares to Brazilians when it comes to sensuality and sexuality.

Quick question - Does anyone know if the United flight from Houston to Rio is outfitted with the new Polaris business class seats?

5 hours ago, pylonguy71 said:

Quick question - Does anyone know if the United flight from Houston to Rio is outfitted with the new Polaris business class seats?

Flight 129 sometimes has Polaris....looking at the seat map on United.com for the days you want , will tell you. It looks different than their standard Business First layout

• Members
On 12/24/2018 at 2:27 AM, pylonguy71 said:

United offers more than a dozen flights a day from Houston (IAD) to Rio (GIG). 

However, there is only one non stop flight each day which is twice the cost of the other flights. 

With the other flights, the aircraft are smaller and are usually not UA but instead, a Star Alliance partner.  Most of the smaller flights transfer through Panama

The one non stop is flight number 129 - and it has Polaris.

There is sometimes a pleasant surprise if you take the non stop Polaris.  This is because UA has two different type of aircraft on that non stop route.  Both flights have the same flight number.  The difference is the type of aircraft.  I have been on that route when the aircraft was switched to a different configuration whereby everyone in business class has isle access.  This has many benefits especially for sleeping and not having someone jump over you during the night.  

Check out the below link to seatguru.com.  You can see the various type aircraft UA uses for this route.  Although the seating is difficult to see, if the business class seats are at an angle, it is because those seats are staggered thus giving everyone aisle access.  

However, most of the time you get the version that gives aisle access only to those who sit in the middle of the aircraft.  

You have to look carefully at the seat map to see the difference.  

Here is a link to UA Flight 129 (IAH - GIG)

https://seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_767_400_ER.php

Happy travels

• Members
2 hours ago, mvan1 said:

United offers more than a dozen flights a day from Houston (IAD) to Rio (GIG). 

However, there is only one non stop flight each day which is twice the cost of the other flights. 

With the other flights, the aircraft are smaller and are usually not UA but instead, a Star Alliance partner.  Most of the smaller flights transfer through Panama

The one non stop is flight number 129 - and it has Polaris.

There is sometimes a pleasant surprise if you take the non stop Polaris.  This is because UA has two different type of aircraft on that non stop route.  Both flights have the same flight number.  The difference is the type of aircraft.  I have been on that route when the aircraft was switched to a different configuration whereby everyone in business class has isle access.  This has many benefits especially for sleeping and not having someone jump over you during the night.  

Check out the below link to seatguru.com.  You can see the various type aircraft UA uses for this route.  Although the seating is difficult to see, if the business class seats are at an angle, it is because those seats are staggered thus giving everyone aisle access.  

However, most of the time you get the version that gives aisle access only to those who sit in the middle of the aircraft.  

You have to look carefully at the seat map to see the difference.  

Here is a link to UA Flight 129 (IAH - GIG)

https://seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_767_400_ER.php

Happy travels

Hi, I just noticed a typo in my post.  Since we cannot edit after a short time, I need to change the first line where it says (IAD) to IAH).

Sorry about my not being a good typist and proof reader when I click a post.  

• Members
On 12/31/2018 at 8:37 AM, Lucky said:

Happy New Year, Numazu1!

Thanks again and a very, very Happy New Year to you as well!  Your sharing has been invaluable as well as highly interesting! 

...can't wait to read about your adventures in Salvador (Bahia), Brazil.  I've managed to have visited twice.  ...liked very much but have yet to experience the "sauna scene" as it exists there!

On 12/24/2018 at 2:27 AM, pylonguy71 said:

I was just offered upgrades this morning for a trip in a few weeks with United  -Houston to Rio and return São Paulo to Houston, and both have Polaris. I’m actually excited to try these legs out as my one Polaris experience which was Boston to San Francisco was pretty positive.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, Jakethetenth said:

Loved reading about your trip! I've been interested in Brazil, but now I really want to go.

Please go, and then pay it forward by writing a trip report here!

On 12/31/2018 at 10:42 AM, floridarob said:

There's a beach in Rio..????

Well there’s one more bitch in Rio whenever you come. Lol. I can’t believe you missed out on the beaches in Bali just because the boys there are too sexy to leave your hotel room. 

Which reminds me, I need to book Bali soon and not go to the beaches there as well.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:34 PM, paborn said:

Wait, you spend all your time in the saunas! I'm slow..........

Nothing wrong with spending all time in saunas. It’s paradise after all. I just wish I had that kind of focus to get to go everyday.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:37 AM, Lucky said:

Happy New Year, Numazu1!

Thanks Lucky, hope yours and others’ celebrations were awesome! I know mine was in Copa.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, axiom2001 said:

Thanks again and a very, very Happy New Year to you as well!  Your sharing has been invaluable as well as highly interesting! 

...can't wait to read about your adventures in Salvador (Bahia), Brazil.  I've managed to have visited twice.  ...liked very much but have yet to experience the "sauna scene" as it exists there!

Thanks axiom. Debating on whether to write a new trip report or not. Didn’t go to saunas as much as I wanted to this trip, but it was a life changing experience regardless. I’m leaning towards yes.