ChristianPFC

To Brazil in September?

I'm planning to travel for holiday to Brazil (Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, total two weeks) in September.  Thanks to everyone who shared their observations since the opening to tourists on 30jul2020.

Some questions:

As far as I know, the current opening to tourists is for 30 days. When and where will an extension or cancellation be announced?

Those who have been, how strict is the check for health insurance at Brazilian immigration? There is travel health insurance available in Germany that covers Covid, which I haven't booked yet, so I don't know if the confirmation letter does state so in English.

My background: I have never been to the Americas before and did take all my holiday and boy business to SEAsia, mainly Thailand. But currently they are all closed to tourist, and no end in sight. Brazil was not on my radar for a holiday and boy destination, but research now looks promising: travel time and cost similar to Thailand, 90 days visa free stay for Germans is great. I don't speak any Portuguese, but can read French fluently which will allow me to understand most signs (whereas in Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam: absolutely no idea!).

Edited by christianpfc

Hi Christian,

Although you are a bit of a legend on Thai-focused boards, you were one name that I never expected to see on this board!

I thought you were so devoted to Thailand and environs that you would never switch.

I have been lurking on it for quite a while as I am thinking of going to Brazil also, in fact I may have gone this year every wasn’t for the virus.

So welcome to the board and I look forward to reading a trip report in your inimitable style in due course.

ForrestReid (Ronan)

I am happy with what Thailand and other countries in SEAsia have to offer boy-wise. Under normal circumstances there was no need for me to look elsewhere.

But now that all of SEAsia is closed to tourists, I read about Brazil and conditions are favorable (distance, time and cost of flight similar to Thailand, and 90 days visa free stay for Germans is great!). How it works out in detail, how I will get along with Brazilians in bed, I can only find out by going there.

Still nothing on internet or from embassy if the current opening will be extended beyond 28aug2020.

Edited by christianpfc

Some questions for my upcoming trip.

When taking a taxi, can you sit in front? (In Thailand, I always sit in front for better view and comfort, but most people sit in the back.)

Does anyone here drink tap water in Brazil? (I do so everywhere in SEAsia without negative effect.)

Are hotels cheaper when booked on hotel booking websites online or walk-in? (Strangely, in SEAsia generally cheaper online, but I had a few that were cheaper in walk-in.)

I will get a Brazilian SIM-card, not so much for calling and SMS, but mainly for data, at least 2 GB for my two week trip. I hope my experiences will entice me to come back to Brazil, for that case I want to to extend the validity. Which operator is particularly easy/cheap for long validity?

Any hotel recommendations for SP and Rio? I like public transport, so it should be in walking distance to metro station and no problems to bring back boys. Price up to 20 USD per night.

Internet says you can bring one mobile phone, but with two you might get questioned at immigration/customs. Any experiences?

I will fly with hand luggage only (hold luggage would cost 80 EUR more for round trip). Is laundry service widely available? I will need to buy a full set of clothes in SP, recommendation where? (And afterwards leave them in Brazil, or try to sneak them into the plane as overweight/oversize hand luggage.)

Most popular app for online dating is grindr, most popular messenger is whatsapp, most popular taxi is grab?

• Members
3 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

When taking a taxi, can you sit in front? (In Thailand, I always sit in front for better view and comfort, but most people sit in the back.)

Does anyone here drink tap water in Brazil? (I do so everywhere in SEAsia without negative effect.)

Are hotels cheaper when booked on hotel booking websites online or walk-in? (Strangely, in SEAsia generally cheaper online, but I had a few that were cheaper in walk-in.)

I will get a Brazilian SIM-card, not so much for calling and SMS, but mainly for data, at least 2 GB for my two week trip. I hope my experiences will entice me to come back to Brazil, for that case I want to to extend the validity. Which operator is particularly easy/cheap for long validity?

Any hotel recommendations for SP and Rio? I like public transport, so it should be in walking distance to metro station and no problems to bring back boys. Price up to 20 USD per night.

Internet says you can bring one mobile phone, but with two you might get questioned at immigration/customs. Any experiences?

I will fly with hand luggage only (hold luggage would cost 80 EUR more for round trip). Is laundry service widely available? I will need to buy a full set of clothes in SP, recommendation where? (And afterwards leave them in Brazil, or try to sneak them into the plane as overweight/oversize hand luggage.)

Most popular app for online dating is grindr, most popular messenger is whatsapp, most popular taxi is grab?

Hey Christian, 

I am in SP right now landed yesterday. I can't tell you about metro because I won't use it. I uber everywhere, it's just easier with the language barrier for me. Plus Uber is cheap here, 4-5 USD most rides.

Taxis and ubers sort of have discretion right now, I set in the front of my first Uber but all others had a plastic barricade and didn't allow you to sit up front. I would just plan on sitting in the back most of the time.

I am currently using Google Fi, international Sim that lets you turn phone into hot spot ($35 USD for two lines talk, text, data 15-20 GB). It's been  a life saver because the hotel internet is not working.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend my hotel because of internet. But most of the places here have tight security access so I would do a private airbnb (some of these places look like embassy entrances they have so much barb wire, fencing, and security staff on premises). Where I am at I just had a guy sleep over but it didn't look like a paid encounter because I am the same age as the guy and can pass as Brazilian. I really would recommend taking the guys to a cheaper hook-up option unless you trust him. Sauna boys are more trustworthy because they have ID for them at their job, and reputation is everything in this type of community, guests talk.

They don't actually have you declare anything at the airport (Immigration is super chill as long as you have the health insurance and a ticket home, they don't even ask where you're staying like most countries).  You won't even be asked about it.

From what I see here most places have laundry onsite, either in the complex or in your individual room/airbnb. I haven't been here long enough to know about how hard it is to find a laundry service or exactly the best place for clothes.

Grindr is most popular, messenger app WhatsApp (all of Latin America it's most popular), in Brazil I think Uber is by far the most popular, every local was using it non-stop. I was able to even use UberEats for late night beer and food.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer about SP.

Because of Covid, back seat on my last trip.

No, bottled water or some apt's have a water filter type system.

I think you need a CPF to get a sim card, so you'll need a local to buy one for you.

I'm pretty frugal, but even I can't help you in this price range.

It's like BKK, when have you ever been stopped to check your luggage? I don't see any problems with 2 phones.

Laundry services are pretty expensive in Brasil, stupidly expensive to me. If you're looking to spend $20 a day, I doubt they'll have laundry facilities....sink washing?

Most popular taxi is Uber I think, prices are stupid cheap.

You are going to see a BIG difference between SE Asia and Brasil.... Sex. is sooo much better. The free hookups are plenty if you're in shape or have a magnetic personality or something to attract the other guys. Not like in Thailand or Cambodia where someone will go with a Farang with the hope of a savior taking them to Europe.

With the exchange rate, you will find lots of great food, especially in SP...but no 40  baht dishes and street food really isn't a thing there, Luncheonette's are where many grab a quick bite to eat at the counter or take it to go.

23 minutes ago, floridarob said:

I think you need a CPF to get a sim card, so you'll need a local to buy one for you.

In Brazil, foreigners can get a sim card with their passport and use it with any GSM unlocked phone.  It is easiest to go into a Tim or Vivo store to buy one and they can register it with your actual passport (I tried using a copy once and they would not accept it).  You can also buy a sim card from a street vendor, but then you have to call and getting someone who speaks English or a language other than Portuguese can be very challenging. 

• Members

You can try this hotel, I paid about $125 Brazilian reals for a one-day room that included breakfast.  It's not the best place and I only booked it to have a secure place to put my luggage while I waited for my flight later that night. It reminded me of a cinder block School room converted to a motel room.

It was about a 10 minute walk to the beach and it was right around the corner from a fravala

https://www.booking.com/hotel/br/pousada-colina-de-copacabana-ltda.html?aid=358300;label=postbooking_confemail;sid=b582898a861a951f115e37672ce8aa11;dest_id=-666610;dest_type=city;dist=0;from_beach_non_key_ufi_sr=1;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;ref_is_wl=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1599075568;srpvid=30e38a37f07d021f;type=total;ucfs=1&

But I would suggest giving an Airbnb a try

Edited by Bucknaway

• Members
1 hour ago, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

You can try this hotel, I paid about $125 Brazilian reals for a one-day room that included breakfast. 

But I would suggest giving an Airbnb a try

Hell yes. For less than 125 a day you can find in airbnb amazing pen houses with private roof pools. You can have a much better time than in the most expensive hotel, with more privacy, and saving money to reinvest in what really matters.

1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

Hell yes. For less than 125 a day you can find in airbnb amazing pen houses with private roof pools. You can have a much better time than in the most expensive hotel, with more privacy, and saving money to reinvest in what really matters.

is 125 BRL a day...he's looking to spend about $20 usd a day.....

Maybe you have heard the phrase “Brazil is not for beginners,”and this may be true. I think it is more “The Real Brazil is not for beginners,”and it takes dedication and time to truly appreciate it. I hope you enjoy your first trip here. But remember: forget everything you assume about Thailand. This is not Thailand. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad. I’d approach Brazil with an open mind, and an eye on your belongings, and pretty soon you’ll fall in love with it (or not, and run screaming back to Guarulhos). I’d be curious how you get along, knowing your types and peculiarities. My suggestion is actually go to Mexico first, which will have the Twinks you are looking for, and perhaps Mexico has a smooth learning curve than Brazil. But if you must:

As has been said before, not recommended during COVID. Some drivers even have a plastic barrier that isolates him from you, so riding in the front defeats the purpose.  Uber has provided this plastic barrier in their Rio offices.

From my experience, I am always told to not drink the Rio tap water, recently by the BF, tho he has used Rio tap water for the coffee maker. I’ve heard this in SP as well.  In the northeast, and southern states, seems like we have used tap water without incident. Some AirBNBs that double as homes for the owners (and not career rentals), there are water purifiers that you can use. 

Who does walk-in’s anymore? Anyway, I’ve only needed to do a walk-in once, when the BF and I needed lodging in Curitiba. We did a walk in in a nice apart-hotel type property, but upon checking online, we found it was about 15% cheaper online. Small sample size, but there you go.

I will get a Brazilian SIM-card, not so much for calling and SMS, but mainly for data, at least 2 GB for my two week trip. I hope my experiences will entice me to come back to Brazil, for that case I want to to extend the validity. Which operator is particularly easy/cheap for long validity?

2GB? That’s tiny. Anyway, this is not Thailand (it’s not even Costa Rica, which has SIM cards for sale at baggage claim in San Juan), and places to buy SIM cards are not in the Brazil airports.  You may be able to find SIM cards in the Lojas Americanas or a Pharmacy in the airport, but its hit or miss.  Best place to get one is a major shopping mall in the center of the city, where the possibility of having English-speaking attendants are higher, like Shopping Paulista in SP or Rio Sul in RJ. 

I suggest TIM as cell operator, and they seem to be the most common IMHO. You can see the plans for tourists here:

https://www.tim.com.br/sp-interior/para-voce/planos/pre-pago/tim-visitor

If you encounter PT-only speaking people, show them this. Chip is SIM Card (pronounced ship):

661826E9-A8D3-4886-99A7-B09DE3C78177.jpeg.86d92a1b277c60eec3641fc54b4b15a3.jpeg

Can’t help you here. The hotels I stay in are at least $40 a night. AirBNB is your best best, and for that price you’ll get some bare-bones room in the tourist areas, or something good in outlying areas like Centro in RJ or Tatuapé etc in SP. The more posh hotels wont let you accept visitors to your room, for security reasons. That is why I choose AirBNB everything, and check their policy. Again, most of the AirBNB language in Brazilian listing are in PT, but google translate is your friend.  

Because of the draconian import taxes Brazil imposes on imported goods, customs sometimes cracks down on people who may bring extra cellphones to sell for 30% less than what it would be in Brazil, but still get a nifty profit. I’ve only been questioned once by customs, and they will scan your luggage for extra electronics, so its best if you have those extra cellphones on your person. Not that I sell cellphones or anything, wink wink.

Laundry service that is widely available is also expensive, especially in the tourist areas, like those 5 a Sec places.  Best bet is getting an AirBNB with a washer and dryer, a must for me these days, but that would probably be over your $20 a night limit.

Bras in São Paulo is the ultimate place to buy super cheap and nice clothes. I go crazy there sometimes. But like anywhere else in Brazil, it will take some getting used to haggling prices in Bras, and 25 de Marco.  

Yes, yes, and no, Uber

Edited by numazu

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Before my last post I had superficial look at agoda and was amazed at how low prices were, first impression was that hotels are cheaper than SEAsia. On closer look, some of these turned out to be hostels/dormitories. So I raise my budget for accommodation to 30 USD per night (I just need a bed, hot shower, aircon if necessary.)

I will arrive in the morning, let's say I will be at the hotel 9 am, whereas common check-in time is 12 or 13. Free early check-in was never a problem in Thailand, but how about Brazil?

The decision (to go to Brazil) is cast and the flights are booked, but I will keep Mexico in mind (was off my radar before; and before Covid Brazil was  off my radar as well).

"haggling prices in Bras, and 25 de Marco" Awful! I hate haggling to the extend that I don't buy at places that don't have the price displayed (because I hate having to ask for prices as well).

• Members
2 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Before my last post I had superficial look at agoda and was amazed at how low prices were, first impression was that hotels are cheaper than SEAsia. On closer look, some of these turned out to be hostels/dormitories. So I raise my budget for accommodation to 30 USD per night (I just need a bed, hot shower, aircon if necessary.)

I will arrive in the morning, let's say I will be at the hotel 9 am, whereas common check-in time is 12 or 13. Free early check-in was never a problem in Thailand, but how about Brazil?

The decision (to go to Brazil) is cast and the flights are booked, but I will keep Mexico in mind (was off my radar before; and before Covid Brazil was  off my radar as well).

"haggling prices in Bras, and 25 de Marco" Awful! I hate haggling to the extend that I don't buy at places that don't have the price displayed (because I hate having to ask for prices as well).

A few other thing I wish I had known before coming here as well. Visa is the only really universally accepted card here, so bring that over your Mastercard and AMEX, ect....Numazu1 is very correct in saying it is like mexico. Most of SP reminds me of Mexico city, from the architecture to the shops and even some of the personality. If you are looking for twinks they are here just few, you will find most of the "Admitted Bottoms" on apps or clubs. Being at Lagoa this whole week there are few bottoms and only one guy that could pass as a twink. (More of a twunk). NEVER take a guy home, I repeat NEVER take a guy home even a sauna boy (one stole my my vape pen, can't get that type of vape even imported to Brazil, huge bummer).

2 hours ago, bcdaron said:

Visa is the only really universally accepted card here, so bring that over your Mastercard and AMEX,

i have been going to Brazil 20 years now and only use my mastercard! i use it at all the Hotels,  restaurants, bars, saunas, etc never had a problem! It is connected to my checking so i also use it at the bank ATM. for no fee withdrawal

• Members
2 hours ago, bcdaron said:

A few other thing I wish I had known before coming here as well. Visa is the only really universally accepted card here, so bring that over your Mastercard and AMEX, ect....Numazu1 is very correct in saying it is like mexico. Most of SP reminds me of Mexico city, from the architecture to the shops and even some of the personality. If you are looking for twinks they are here just few, you will find most of the "Admitted Bottoms" on apps or clubs. Being at Lagoa this whole week there are few bottoms and only one guy that could pass as a twink. (More of a twunk). NEVER take a guy home, I repeat NEVER take a guy home even a sauna boy (one stole my my vape pen, can't get that type of vape even imported to Brazil, huge bummer).

First of all, relax. :) 

I think you started this trip with very high expectations and somehow you sound slightly disappointed or frustrated here. Give time to yourself to learn the ropes, and do not assume that your experiences and interactions in your first few days are a reflection of what the Brazilian experience can be.

As posted above, I have never had any issues with my preferred card, a MC. I reiterate this not to be redundant but to emphasize how quickly you are making judgements after a very brief time. Similarly, you are jumping too quick to doom yourself to ever have a garoto at home base. If you are a clear outsider and these are your first steps, perhaps you should not take a hook up (for free o for a fee) at your place. But do not say NEVER. 

I have brought many GPs and regular hook ups to my places in Salvador and Rio in Brazil and in Buenos Aires, I have never had any incidents in the last 25 years. I learned from the incidents I did have before. The last time a man stole anything from me was not in Brazil, Argentina, or Mexico, but in Washington DC. During my first year living here, when I was still getting acclimated, I made some poor decisions. 

It is not Brazil, it is not DC, it is our own temporarily lack of judgement because we think with our dicks instead of with our brains. Sometimes we do it at home, but when we are visiting an alien culture the risk is higher. Do not say never, instead learn from your mistakes and try again. You may have new "accidents", it depends on how much of a fast learner you are. 

You also seem to be a little disappointed (forgive me if I am misreading the nuance, my reading are just as poor as my writing skills) at the type of men you are meeting. Based on the descriptions I usually read here, I do not think I would find the men in Lagoa very attractive. I have not yet explored the saunas en SP, but I am making an analogy with what happens to me in Rio. Based in most of the reports shared here, 117 seems to be a heavenly paradise full of irresistible Adonises. Meeehhh. Unlike most of the friends here, it is Pointe 202 where I feel inspired by the offer.

Again. Relax and give yourself sometime. Brazil is not going to change, we must. 

• Members

I always bought bottled water. Then again, I drank juices at the hotels and luncheonettes and do I really think they blended them with purified, bottled water?

Ah, in 2001, I could get a decent room right in Consolacao (SP) or a colonial hotel in Ouro Preto for ~US$15. But now, mmmno. I haven't checked recent rates, but the very frugal hotels I went to most recently were in the US$40 range. In SP, there are the two Pantanal guesthouses near the Santa Cruz metro station (and very convenient to the former Lagoa). Consolacao/Rua Augusta area has a lot of cheap spots. Vila Mariana (metro same name) has a few decent, well-kept hostels. Note that most youth hostels also have a couple private rooms, with private or shared baths. If you really want to rough it, the dodgy Republica area downtown has many cheap hotels, or you can take your chances with the "motels" (love hotels), but bring earplugs. Other than the motels, I don't the guest policy at these places. I think in general if you pay the two-person nightly rate, you'd have a better chance of bringing a friend.

The Brazilian versions of K-Mart and Dollar General are Lojas Americanas and Pernambuco. They, and similar chain stores, are everywhere, with lots of cheap disposable clothing.

Edited by davet

My two credit cards are both Visa, and I will bring both and store in different locations (same Euro to exchange to BRL). Two mobile phones (the old one take with me, the new one keep in hotel), and money stored in two places. The only thing I don't have twice is my camera, now three years old, but it was expensive! I will have it hanging around my neck, so I can take pictures easily.

Where can I find public toilets in Brazil? In Thailand I would go to shopping malls or temples for free toilets, and bus and railway stations sometimes have free, sometimes paid toilets.

• Members
22 minutes ago, ChristianPFC said:

My two credit cards are both Visa, and I will bring both and store in different locations (same Euro to exchange to BRL). Two mobile phones (the old one take with me, the new one keep in hotel), and money stored in two places. The only thing I don't have twice is my camera, now three years old, but it was expensive! I will have it hanging around my neck, so I can take pictures easily.

Where can I find public toilets in Brazil? In Thailand I would go to shopping malls or temples for free toilets, and bus and railway stations sometimes have free, sometimes paid toilets.

If it looks expensive, I would not go around with a camera hanging from my neck. Friends are painting a country with few foreign tourists, I am not sure whether that means you will be safer or easier to be targeted. This really depends on how vulnerable you look like.

You will not need lots of cash, only to pay for the boys, mostly everything can be paid with a CC (even beach stands and some GPs). If you need cash, it is easy to get it from an ATM with your debit or credit card.

Despite other friends' advise, I only drank tap water in Salvador and Rio with no problems.

• Members
2 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Brazil is shopping mall-crazy, though their malls are not as glittering as those in SE Asia. There are usually well-kept bathrooms in the malls. Finding the malls can sometimes be hard because they are often incorporated inside big office buildings. Most restaurants have toilets (most even have paper). The SP bus station might even have showers. Be very alert in bus stations. They are (or were) huge and busy, almost like an airport, because buses are the main mode of long-distance travel. Do not turn your back for one second on any possession. The Rio main bus station is in an inconvenient, dodgy-looking area.