reader

14-day quarantine mandatory for all arrivals in Thailand from May

From The Nation

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) announced on Thursday that all arrivals from overseas will be required to complete their 14-day mandatory quarantine regardless of their vaccination status or nationality.

The CCSA said the 14-day mandatory quarantine will also apply to all those who hold a certificate of entry (COE) issued on or after May 1. Travellers who hold a COE that was issued before May 1 and who arrive before May 6 will be quarantined for seven to 10 days depending on their inoculation status. People arriving after May 6 will be quarantined for 14 days.

Travellers checking into alternative state quarantine venues will be required to stay inside their rooms at all times. They will not be allowed to use any facilities the hotel may offer and are required to undergo three Covid tests during the quarantine period.

===========================================================
From The Thaiger

All foreigners eligible for Covid-19 vaccine under Thailand’s vaccination plan

All expats living in Thailand are eligible to receive the Covid-19 vaccine, according to deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Natapanu Nopakun. He says Thailand plans to roll out a “massive vaccination plan” to vaccinate all people who are living in Thailand, including foreign residents.

“All people residing in Thailand, regardless of nationality, are eligible to receive the vaccine under the plan.”He made the announcement during the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration’s daily briefing today. Natapanu says more information on the vaccination plan for foreigners residing in Thailand will be released at a later date.

Health officials in Phuket and Koh Samui, tourist destinations that have been said to be of “economic significance,” have already been rolling out mass vaccination campaigns in an effort to reach herd immunity and reopen the islands to foreign tourists by July.

An expat who works as an English teacher at a school in Koh Samui says he received both doses of the Chinese-made Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine this month. He says the school helped with the registration process and both doses of Covid-19 vaccine were free.
===========================================================
From The Thaiger

Restrictions tighten nationwide, Bangkok and 5 other provinces now “dark red” zones

Disease control restrictions are tightening nationwide. Bangkok and 5 other provinces with a high number of Covid-19 infections are now classified as “dark red” zones under the highest control to combat the spread of the coronavirus, according to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

Under the new zoning measures, the dark red provinces include Bangkok, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, and Samut Prakan. Those provinces have reported more than 100 Covid-19 cases per day. Regulations in those areas include:

• Events or gatherings of more than 20 people are prohibited.
  • Dine-in services at restaurants and cafes are prohibited, but takeaway services until 9pm are allowed.
  • Stadiums, gyms, fitness centres are closed except for sports facilities that are in open areas. Those facilities must close by 9pm.
  • Shopping centres can stay open until 9pm. Arcades and entertainment activities must close until the Covid-19 situation improves.

Alcohol is not allowed to be sold at restaurants nationwide. There is now a nationwide order requiring face masks to be worn in public places. Most provinces have already set local orders requiring masks to be worn.

The new zoning goes into effect at midnight Saturday.

Restrictions tighten nationwide, Bangkok and 5 other provinces now "dark red" zones | News by Thaiger

Restrictions tighten nationwide, Bangkok and 5 other provinces now "dark red" zones | News by Thaiger

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/restrictions-tighten-nationwide-bangkok-and-5-other-provinces-now-dark-red-zones

4 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Yep, that sucks! and, truly makes zero sense.

I presume you're referring to the 14 day quarantine, irrespective of vaccination status and so on ?

As far as I can tell, the only reason it could make sense to have 14 day quarantine is to stop the import of mutations.  

Except, that makes no sense at all if they don't also seal the land borders or make a proper attempt to do so. For example, with the use of the very large army.

I doubt it makes sense to apply that quarantine to all nations and irrespective of vaccine status.  

Also, if it's a knee jerk reaction to rising infection rates at home, it's a "be seen to be doing something" reaction.

Although stupid, considering personal travel, I'm not concerned.   Along with 89% of board members answering the poll, I'm not planning to return to Thailand until October or later and the rules will probably have changed again by then. 

I'm more disappointed for all the people who have had their jobs and businesses ruined by this and get minimal support off the Thai government.

3 hours ago, Tomas1576 said:

It is presently also down to ten days without vaccine (7days with vaccine)

Not anymore in Bangkok and Pattaya.  As of May 1, a 14 day quarantine is required of all arrivals whether you have been vaccinated or not and you are not permitted to leave your room.  I don't know whether going to the hotel restaurant is an exception or if you would be required to use either room service or food delivery service.

In my opinion a trip to Thailand is not exactly a bright idea under present circumstances.

Based on experience of doing quarantine in December, all the food is delivered to your room.    Quarantine is all about isolation.

You stay in the room until your first test, then if that's a pass, you might be allowed out to the exercise yard for 45 minutes per day from day 7 onwards. 

Doing 15 nights of quarantine is only worthwhile in my view if followed by a nice long holiday.   

If it's the only option, I'll repeat the quarantine exercise next winter and make sure it's a 3~4 month holiday.   

26 minutes ago, paulsf said:

Your fresh bedding and towels will be left outside your door and you get to clean your own room.

Gee whiz - Let's see - unable to leave your quarantine room for 14 days (even prisoners often get 1 hour per day outside), having to clean your room yourself, having to change the bedding yourself, having to eat in your room, and then when released you still can't eat in a restaurant, the bars and all entertainment venues are closed, stores and shopping malls are open under restricted hours, you can't stop in anywhere for a cup of coffee unless you take it away, there's nowhere to go to have a nice breakfast, you can't enjoy a glass of wine with your dinner unless you buy a bottle of wine in a shop and eat and drink in your hotel room, if you are not wearing your face mask every time you set foot outside your room you are subject to a 20,000 baht fine, you can't swim in your hotel's pool because the pools are all closed, it is difficult to travel out of the province where you are staying and then return, you can't visit any museums or historical sites, everything closes by 9:00pm - and some even earlier.

Other than that, what's the problem . . . ?

From what I have been reading paulsf has it right, the attached pic was copied from elsewhere and was a letter delivered to a hotel quarantine guest. For 14 days you can't do squat and the third test has also been thrown in. After 14 days trapped with these new quarantine rules a person would sure like to be able to get out and about a bit more freely than what is currently possible. 

20210501_104830.jpg

I too did quarantine in December last year. It was really very, very little different to what is required now. One extra test maybe. No biggy.

I did the full 14 days, starting with day 0, and not released until day 14 was complete. So really 16 days.

The rules  changed half way through...not allowed in the exercise gym...because I was British. Not allowed to swim, just sit by the pool. Not nice with all the kids running around, so with the no exercise rule I spent the whole time in my room, except for one visit to the pool and one to the exercise yard. 

I got a lot of jip from some people on the boards for even bothering to come at all to Thailand, but at the time everything was open. So it was worth it. And I enjoyed my 4 month stay.

I have to say now, with everything closed, I wouldn’t bother. But when things are open again of course I will return...for an extended stay of course (minimum 3 months).

It's really crazy. I'm vaccinated but have no idea how and when to book. They keep changing the rules. The only thing that might work is to book last-minute but this will of course be more expensive. 

7 hours ago, iendo said:

The only thing that might work is to book last-minute but this will of course be more expensive. 

Last minute booking is the ONLY way. Imagine if you had booked months ago and arrived now...

Also book direct with the airline. Do not use brokers. They are going out of business and in the event you need to reschedule it makes life much much easier.

These  days you have to accept the extra cost. Although some fares are still very reasonable.

Agreed.    In 2021, travel should be booked at the last minute.   Well, start the visa about 3 weeks in advance, then perhaps start booking other stuff within 2 weeks of the travel date.  Just be organized.   Make a check list and use it.

I shouldn't worry about higher costs for last minute booking, as demand is low and it's not a problem.   My flights were at a normal price, despite last minute booking and I generally got very good hotel rates.  Like nice hotels in Bangkok for 500 baht a night, including when booked the same day:).  

The extra costs were applicable for covid tests & insurance.  Since most people here haven't traveled to Thailand for over a year, some money ought to have been saved to add to the budget for the next one.  Anyone whose income source hasn't been destroyed by the pandemic ought to be in a good position.

As for cleaning my room, well in my hotel, it was possible for cleaners to come in occasionally, but I would have to go to a waiting area.   I shooed them away, as I didn't want any infections coming in for other rooms.   I clean my house, so cleaning a little hotel room is hardly much of a hardship.

When I was quarantining back in December, I was allowed out onto the roof area for 45 minutes per day after day 7.   The Gym was closed the whole time.  With a little organization, I managed to do press ups in my room and walked 5 miles a day in the room.   

They introduced the third test back in December, about a week after we arrived, so we didn't have that.   As far as I could tell, it was a perfectly logical way to gather data to decide if shorter quarantine periods would be OK. They eventually implemented shorter quarantine, then backtracked.   I don't quite see why the third test would still be needed.

The quarantine was 15 nights.   I note there were quite a lot of Asian flights arriving in Bangkok around 23:00.  I presume that's to reduce the length of the quarantine period on the first day (day zero).   Our flight arrived at something like 9:30 am, which wasn't ideal, but it seemed to be the best option, as the later arrivals just had lots of waiting time in some middle Eastern airport. 

You're allowed to leave at 6:00 am on the last day.  I left between 8:00 am and 9:00 am. 

As stated previously, I'll repeat the quarantine process in November/December if presented with the same choices as last year.  

Of course, if some other interesting countries let me in with fewer restrictions, I may choose those instead.

The things I would change for another quarantine period:   

(i) I might just smuggle in some treats, like a bottle of spirits and some snacks.    You're not supposed to have alcohol, but they don't check inside your luggage.  Last time I made a conscious decision to detox.   I would not repeat that, but I would limit it to one bottle though !

(ii)   I'd pack a bag of Psullium Husk.

(iii) I'd have even more focus on some constructive use of the time.    Booking an online Thai course would be ideal. 

When I was in Thailand, facilities actually open included coffee shops, restaurants, shops, the beach, massage shops, barbers and eventually even the bars.  Compared with the UK, where almost none of that was open.    Right now, the boot is on the other foot, with the UK slowly opening up, whilst Thailand has more cases than ever.

There are no significant changes to the rules, except that the proposed reduction of the length of quarantine has been cancelled.

Anyone needing to go to Thailand now ( for genuine reasons....Nobody would go for a holiday) should consider themselves lucky that they haven’t shut the border completely and closed the airport again.

I can guess why they did that.

Since the day of arrival did not count towards quarantine, it makes sense to arrive as late as possible.   

Hence quite a lot of flights arriving from Asian countries between 22:00 and 24:00.    So staff at the airport, quarantine hotels etc need to be around to process people late at night or in the very early hours of the morning.     If they move the cut off to 18:00, the traffic should move to a more civilized time.