TotallyOz

Colton Underwood Was Forced to come Out

Colton Underwood says he was blackmailed after going to a gay spa and someone emailed him and said they had nude photos of him. This is what he said led to his coming out. I hate anyone being forced out when they are not ready.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/colton-underwood-the-bachelor-netflix-1234970331/

• Members
5 hours ago, caeron said:

I think outing is only appropriate to the Larry Craigs of the world.

I agree. For politicians, law enforcement, and perhaps sexual abusers, outing should be open season. For everyone else, it's none of our business. However, in this age of the internet, especially with the profiteering of social media, I don't see how anyone can reasonably expect to keep sexual secrets anymore. The marketplace is way too hungry for information, especially if the scent of scandal exists. If anyone has dreams of being famous, they need to consider every aspect of their life being scrutinized, possibly to the day they die. I don't see this changing moving forward.

So, this now leads nicely on to that other seemingly hot potato topic in Hollywood these days - so, if apparently it isn't cool or acceptable for straight actors to play gay roles, is it then no longer cool or acceptable for Colton Underwood ( being that he has played the "role" of the epitome of a hot "straight" guy in The Bachelor) to continue on playing THAT "role", or should he now be fired as it being "not acceptable for a " gay guy to continue on in that show" ?? .....I think not !

• Members
7 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

apparently it isn't cool or acceptable for straight actors to play gay roles

The group that finds such hiring not cool may be loud, but I suspect they are small in number. Actors are hired to "act."

IMO, an actor's talent to perform a role should have no correlation to their personal sexual identity. If a gay guy can win a gay character part, more power to him. Otherwise, most directors are going to be looking at other things, and those "things" may have absolutely nothing to do with one's sexual preferences.

I think some people think that since Gay actors get discriminated against that straight actors shouldn't take gay roles.

I think that's nonsense.  The solution to homophobia in hollywood isn't to ghettoize gay actors into gay roles. It's to recognize what the fuck acting actually is.

• Members
17 hours ago, caeron said:

I think some people think that since Gay actors get discriminated against that straight actors shouldn't take gay roles.

If an openly gay actor presents himself as queeny or fem, and the gay role calls for butch and masculine, is the I-didn't-get-the-job really discrimination? If the part calls for a blond and the gay actor is brunette, same thing. The word discrimination is often used as a scapegoat and a red herring. So many actors who audition are simply not right for the part. Only one actor gets the job.

17 hours ago, caeron said:

The solution to homophobia in hollywood isn't to ghettoize gay actors into gay roles. It's to recognize what the fuck acting actually is.

I've never understood homophobia in Hollywood, except for the fact that straight men do dominate the industry. However, gays are everywhere in this industry, too, and they've been here since the beginning. There are many gay men (and women) who wield a lot of power in show business. Being accepted and supported by the gatekeepers is another story. And we all know, sometimes acting talent does not matter, especially if you have that certain look.

Casting is a business that most people outside of show business don't understand. Great casting directors and great A&R talents share a similar sensibility and sensitivity that is very difficult to explain. I'm not sure these special talents are teachable. 

Generally speaking; chemistry, appearance, and actual "acting" talent play the most dominant role when casting an actor, but appearance usually sits at the top of the list. Most creators have a specific vision of what a character should look like. If the writer has not spelled those details out, the producer/director most likely will have the strongest opinion and input.

15 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

you have no idea what an actor...does in his private life

Unless you present yourself as an "OUT actor," no one is going to actually know what an actor does in his private life. Even in the presence of rumors, no one will know for sure unless you have personal, intimate experience with the actor. Or the actor speaks his truth to you privately. Everything else is assumption. And you could very easily be dead WRONG.

• Members
On 5/14/2021 at 5:25 AM, RockHardNYC said:

The word discrimination is often used as a scapegoat and a red herring. So many actors who audition are simply not right for the part.

scapegoat.png?w=296&h=327

SoOyJdDakzQ1shC-tsgu-hez3GPFIOiLQ9HW5SPc

345417.png

True enough, Doc, just ask my agent

I watched the Netflix documentary Coming out Colton and really enjoyed it. It was heartfelt and sweet. I had a HARD time coming out and about the same age as Colton and I know how hard religion and family expectations can play on the mind of people. I was very moved watching his story.

And, he likes Daddies!   YES!!!

• Members
4 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I watched the Netflix documentary Coming out Colton and really enjoyed it. It was heartfelt and sweet. I had a HARD time coming out and about the same age as Colton and I know how hard religion and family expectations can play on the mind of people. I was very moved watching his story.

And, he likes Daddies!   YES!!!

I broke my Squid Game viewing to watch the first episode and ended up binging it practically in one sitting as was interesting. Who gets laid always trumps who loses their marbles. 

• Members
On 5/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, BiBottomBoy said:

It's never cool to out someone.

I wouldn't say never. I'd go for usually. It's OK to out someone who profits from anti-gay activities and promotes an anti-gay agenda (for example the late Senator Daniel Craig and Senator Lindsay Graham).