Latbear4blk

Buenos Aires, Argentina. June/July 2021

Id go crazy if i have to extend my stay for few days, let alone an entire month! I guess if i were to stuck anywhere, the best is with your family. And with working from home becoming a new norm now, i guess it might be bearable. Good to know you are able to be positive for those extra month! While you still have access to money and boys, having to work now will lessen the repetitive routine during your previous month of holiday hehe.

Ive never took a prolonged holiday before as ill get homesick right around 2 weeks, less if part of the holiday is on the island with beach/snorkling activities. Mainly due to my work and limited vacation days, so i used to cramp a lot of things to do when i travel. My last trip to thailand was the opposite as my 2 weeks were spent only between bangkok and pattaya, and it was unforgettable to say the least. I wouldnt mind having to extend that vacation if money wasnt an issue. Lol

• Members
7 hours ago, spoon said:

Id go crazy if i have to extend my stay for few days, let alone an entire month!

I just got stressed and disoriented for 3 days, but you list very well the circumstances that make my experience radically different than most travelers' right now.

Anyways, I think I will be able to be back before August 4th, although I already rented an airbnb until then. American cancelled their flight to Fort Worth until Aug 4th, but they are still flying to Miami. Those flights are full until September, but because of the restrictions some Argentines are cancelling their tickets. I have the right to one more change in my reservation without paying any fees, and I cam calling every day to check the situation. Today they offered me a flight to Miami on July 29th, but I did not take it hoping for an earlier day available soon. I just need a few days notice to arrange the mandatory PCR test, and can pack anytime.

On 7/3/2021 at 1:59 AM, Latbear4blk said:

I love that the city landscape designers are abandoning the use of foreign species and planting the city outdoors with indigenous ones.

If you would ask me where some of these photos were taken I would say somewhere in Europe. I'm very interested in visiting.

• Members
17 minutes ago, iendo said:

I'm very interested in visiting.

Buenos Aires is a huge city. There are some lovely districts and buildings. And it has a distinct culture that is quite different in many ways. I hugely enjoyed the many long vacations I took there. I’d recommend it to anyone.

But please note that crime on the streets is a big problem (muggings, bag snatches, phones being taken even in daylight) and caution is needed - do not wear an expensive watch or jewellery and carry only a little money and one credit card on your person. 

• Members

For years I have been hearing these stories about street crime in Argentina and Brazil. I have never seen anything or suffer any threads. Of course, I do not go to dangerous areas, but the touristic zones of Buenos Aires are safer than most American cities. At least here you are not afraid of a crazy pulling out his fusil and killing you and everyone around.

• Members
24 minutes ago, floridarob said:

All it takes is one time to make you a believer.

No. I have been robbed more than once in Washington DC, and I am not going around warning the rest of the world about street crime in the USA.

Bull shit.

Sorry, this topic triggers me.

• Members
2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Sorry, this topic triggers me.

It’s clear that it does @Latbear4blk but that was not my intention.

I noticed that you had not mentioned what locals term “the insecurity” and I felt that your reports might mislead foreign visitors to Buenos Aires. I understand that you are enjoying your stay in the city and that naturally you are proud of your heritage and culture. 

So let me be factual (since these crimes are not reported in the media unless there is a fatality) and state my own experience
1. I visited Buenos Aires/Argentina 12x in the years 2005-2012; each visit was at least 4 weeks but did not exceed 8 weeks. I had a few Argentine friends and when in the city, I stayed in Recoleta. 

2. I witnessed the immediate aftermath of 3 robberies in busy, well-lit streets in Recoleta (2x morning, 1x afternoon).

3. I intervened in a further robbery at lunchtime on what’s generally regarded as one of the best blocks in Recoleta. The thug got away with the woman’s gold necklace but not her bag. I was astounded that no local intervened to help me, tho many people (on the street, and security staff in the buildings) observed the thug robbing her. The woman said she knew instantly I was a foreigner because I had intervened.

4. An old lady (a friend of my mother) had her handbag snatched from her in broad daylight as she walked on Avenida Alvear by the shops.

5. A young friend (male, 24) had his iPhone snatched as he talked on it in the afternoon. A moped had left the road and come up behind him so that a passenger could grab the phone while the driver roared away. My friend was annoyed - he felt he should have known better as a similar robbery had happened to a friend of his the week before. 

6. A notary (male, late 30s) I was using in a property transaction told me he’d  been “foolish” the night before. He’d got out of a taxi before 10pm by La Biela cafe and decided to take a shortcut to his apartment across the small park near Recoleta Cemetery - when a man robbed him of his wallet at gunpoint. 

7. Another young friend (male, 30) was robbed on the train home after an early dinner with me. It was before 9pm and again at gunpoint; this time, it was 2 young teenagers with an old handgun.

8. A Spanish boyfriend with 2 American friends (all male, 30s) were robbed at gunpoint when they foolishly got into a taxi on the street in Palermo Soho (they had eaten dinner in Casa Cruz, but it was before midnight)

I do know of several other “incidents” (one is a violent killing) but I think the above make my point. Of course, crime happens everywhere and Buenos Aires is a lovely city. I was never robbed but I was always alert and knew exactly where I was walking to, especially at night; also I mainly was in the best areas and I made sure to be accompanied by a local when I went anywhere less good. 

• Members
2 hours ago, msclelovr said:

It’s clear that it does @Latbear4blk but that was not my intention.

I noticed that you had not mentioned what locals term “the insecurity” and I felt that your reports might mislead foreign visitors to Buenos Aires. I understand that you are enjoying your stay in the city and that naturally you are proud of your heritage and culture. 

So let me be factual (since these crimes are not reported in the media unless there is a fatality) and state my own experience
1. I visited Buenos Aires/Argentina 12x in the years 2005-2012; each visit was at least 4 weeks but did not exceed 8 weeks. I had a few Argentine friends and when in the city, I stayed in Recoleta. 

2. I witnessed the immediate aftermath of 3 robberies in busy, well-lit streets in Recoleta (2x morning, 1x afternoon).

3. I intervened in a further robbery at lunchtime on what’s generally regarded as one of the best blocks in Recoleta. The thug got away with the woman’s gold necklace but not her bag. I was astounded that no local intervened to help me, tho many people (on the street, and security staff in the buildings) observed the thug robbing her. The woman said she knew instantly I was a foreigner because I had intervened.

4. An old lady (a friend of my mother) had her handbag snatched from her in broad daylight as she walked on Avenida Alvear by the shops.

5. A young friend (male, 24) had his iPhone snatched as he talked on it in the afternoon. A moped had left the road and come up behind him so that a passenger could grab the phone while the driver roared away. My friend was annoyed - he felt he should have known better as a similar robbery had happened to a friend of his the week before. 

6. A notary (male, late 30s) I was using in a property transaction told me he’d  been “foolish” the night before. He’d got out of a taxi before 10pm by La Biela cafe and decided to take a shortcut to his apartment across the small park near Recoleta Cemetery - when a man robbed him of his wallet at gunpoint. 

7. Another young friend (male, 30) was robbed on the train home after an early dinner with me. It was before 9pm and again at gunpoint; this time, it was 2 young teenagers with an old handgun.

8. A Spanish boyfriend with 2 American friends (all male, 30s) were robbed at gunpoint when they foolishly got into a taxi on the street in Palermo Soho (they had eaten dinner in Casa Cruz, but it was before midnight)

I do know of several other “incidents” (one is a violent killing) but I think the above make my point. Of course, crime happens everywhere and Buenos Aires is a lovely city. I was never robbed but I was always alert and knew exactly where I was walking to, especially at night; also I mainly was in the best areas and I made sure to be accompanied by a local when I went anywhere less good. 

Do you have an idea of the kind of report I could put together about safety in the USA, picking individual testimonies (and even adding statistics) as you did? It is true that the local press report helps the scarring narrative for the first world visitors who think they are more civilized, but local reports are politically manipulate according to the local government. When the administration is conservative, the crime reports stay in the police section of newspapers, when the government is Peronist, the reports move to first page.

But I am not going to give this battle, I know that I would lose. These prejudices are too deeply rooted. Specially if your circle is people from Recoleta. These are the worst kind of people, in my opinion, you can mingle with in Buenos Aires. I lived 20 years in that neighborhood and I know how racist, classist, and conservative they are. Sure, they are very gay friendly, if you look like you have a bank account.

@Latbear4blk

It's fascinating how you are able to take pictures of the guys. The second and the third picture of Tony are outstanding. Definitely model material. Shave off a couple of years and I'd be in love :-)

In Mexico city you can often just film guys or take photos when they are stripping in a club. Something unthinkable in most of the world.

Do you pay them for a photo session or is it all inclusive.

Forgive me if you have already answered this.

• Members
30 minutes ago, iendo said:

@Latbear4blk

It's fascinating how you are able to take pictures of the guys. The second and the third picture of Tony are outstanding. Definitely model material. Shave off a couple of years and I'd be in love :-)

In Mexico city you can often just film guys or take photos when they are stripping in a club. Something unthinkable in most of the world.

Do you pay them for a photo session or is it all inclusive.

Forgive me if you have already answered this.

I pay them. They sign a release form and allow me to document they are in legal age. I am learning a craft. 

• Members

@msclelovr, I was going out, and sat back in this computer to write these last lines. As I said, this topic triggers me and I may have been rude. Rather than editing anything, I choose to take ownership of my rage. :)  But I do apologize because my intention was not to be offensive or insult you, I was just spitting my rage.

I happen to think that there is a well established mindset or narrative, where "first world" countries look down to the rest of the world. Within this mindset, crimes committed in the first world are an anomaly. Crimes committed in the rest of the world are expected and just another proof of our inferiority. This is an hegemonic mindset. We in the third world also interpret crime that way. 

I hope that makes clearer my point of view. It is just a moment of rationality and I do not know how long it is going to last before the rage takes over me again, so I stop here. 

2 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

@msclelovr, I was going out, and sat back in this computer to write these last lines. As I said, this topic triggers me and I may have been rude. .....

I happen to think that there is a well established mindset or narrative, where "first world" countries look down to the rest of the world. Within this mindset, crimes committed in the first world are an anomaly. Crimes committed in the rest of the world are expected and just another proof of our inferiority. This is an hegemonic mindset. We in the third world also interpret crime that way. 

Your rage is understandable as you are kind of local. Where I live I often complain about public transport ( not entirely warranted but I still complain  ) , when my sister who lives in other country  comes and say the bad word about the same subject I'm fast to remind her that airport is visible from my balcony if she doesn't like here.

I wouldn't go too far with that 'first world/ third world '  crime comparison mindset. There are plenty of third world countries where crime is not  a problem , even in depth of night. When I arrive in Bangkok which is often at 1-2 a.m. my first step  is to wander through completely empty and darkened Patpong, famous 'entertainment , ahem ' district and never ever had any thought it may be dangerous.

On another hand my first ever arrival in New York, no doubt very first world city was by train at 8 p.m. , hardly even night and my local friend warned me not to step outside of the Grand Central station. ( I did anyways and it was not that scary )

• Members

My first week of teleworking all time I had no sex since Tuesday. If sex is what you are looking for, you can skip this post.

I am feeling slightly batter at my airbnb. Part of my frustration is coming from a roomy loft with two balconies with plenty of natural light and open views, to this view:

I contacted my Airbnb hostess to tell her that I had nothing against her, that she was probably an employee, but that I was going to complain to airbnb for misleading advertisement. I was convinced this was an apart hotel, not a living home, and nowhere in the ad would say so. 

I turned to be wrong. The unit belongs to a young couple who invested on it right before the pandemic broke in. That is what these are some unfinished details (like the lightening). Knowing that I was not dealing with a company radically changed my attitude. I am still unhappy because of the contrast, I am coming from a much better apartment in a much better location at a much lower price.

However, I am trying to enjoy the good things. The shower and the bed are great, and although Monserrat excites me much less than Palermo, it is a historic area with many beautiful views and good eateries. I am very close to San Telmo, but I did not have time to go there yet. I am working up to local 5pm, and as it is almost winter here, sun is down at 6. Perhaps this weekend I will go over there.

If the thrill of being in Palermo was feeling as exploring a new city, the thrill here comes from exploring an area I used to know very well, and see the changes. Palermo seems a flourishing area even amidst the pandemic, here is quite different. I cannot tell whether the decadence signs started before or after the pandemic, but they are evident.

IMG_4564.thumb.JPG.aaf89ec52acbf653843d5a10383f3098.JPG

These streets should be busting with people walking and working. The picture was taken around 8:30 am, before I had to check in to work. In that short walk I also found this bar, and I love it, with a young Fidel Castro human size doll in the balcony:

IMG_4565.thumb.JPG.aa3afce85a14ba694e17daeb2c15c3f0.JPG

Just as people compares Recoleta and Palermo Chico to Paris, all this area is compared to different Spanish cities. Take a look as how a Starbucks looks like here:

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.97739c91a2fc38ff53a9343122419634.JPG

The whole area is a historic neighborhood, I am just two blocks away from the famous Plaza de Mayo where many national historic events took place, starting on 1810. During this week, the Plaza was occupied by protesters demanding the liberation of a political prisoner in a northwest state. I was never able to be there during day light to take pictures, I was waiting for today to do it, but they all left yesterday July 9th, which is Independence Day here.

Echoing some of the comments made earlier in this thread, many of the people in my circle warned me about not going there. I ignored them. Last Thursday I walked alone in the middle of the protester, and I felt perfectly safe. Very humble, darker skinned people, but absolutely peaceful and friendly. They were camping, occupying the green areas of the public space, but allowing freely pedestrian circulation, and they were taking care of cleaning behind them. When yesterday I found out they were gone, the place looked spot clean as they'd had never been there. 

Yesterday night I had my first chance to take a long walk. It was at night, but I though you may enjoy a few night pictures of Buenos Aires, for a change. In this walk, the area's decadence was noticeable. After finding out that the protesters were gone from Plaza de Mayo, I walk up through Avenida de Mayo. This is the city are that everyone compares to Madrid. 20 years ago, when I left, most building had been restored and new night lights installed, a project funded by the Spanish Embassy. Las night, most stores were shut down and the buildings were dark. But now and then, you would see traces of the beauty hidden in the dark:

IMG_4578.thumb.JPG.87aeff9e1634a2db002c2ca447088125.JPGIMG_4573.thumb.JPG.7db98867aa74c95b39f999372a02f615.JPG

Those buildings stand out only because they have their lighting up. They are surrounded for similar beauties that you can only appreciate during day light. This is the corner of Avenida de Mayo and Avenida 9 de Julio:

IMG_4577.thumb.JPG.642db383a3edb235f3be409aea48f6a0.JPG

El Hotel La Argentina, closed.

IMG_4574.thumb.JPG.e0e544f623834545c27bda92e13558aa.JPG

The Avenida de Mayo starts in the homonym Plaza, where the Casa Rosada, the National Executive Branch headquarters is located. It Ends in the Plaza de los Dos Congresos and the Legislative Branch headquarters:

IMG_4579.thumb.JPG.4f6df7b04aa621eacae94cc3b5267c99.JPG

Normally, the beautiful building is fully illuminated, this darkness is another sign of the crisis. All this area is where you can find most of the best traditional Spanish cooking eateries. Take a look at this jamón serrano sandwich that was my lunch yesterday (and my breakfast today):

A75E0C02-E765-475B-BD52-D219785D5DE1.thumb.JPG.6fc8bb5ee9d5da2ae101b5e9f7a1015a.JPG

You can also find premium restaurants from other cuisines. I am not fond of fancy restaurants and prefer regular standard eateries. For those of you into expensive, one of the most reputed Peruvian restaurants of Buenos Aires is around my corner. So far I have been sharing standard regular prices. This place is considered very expensive by the locals:

IMG_4566.thumb.JPG.7ea8e13fd38a40af8a04b93ef2df45df.JPGIMG_4567.thumb.jpg.9d4dd42408a951de1712b774113207d6.jpg

Today currency: U$S 1 = $AR 98.35 at official rate; 171.5 at Blue. 

I did not hook up after Jason because I am budgeting and Grindr was too distracting and time demanding, as I am not an easy online hookup. I may turn it up today again, but I will be busy with friends and tomorrow with family and Alan. I used it last Tuesday before making the decision to hire Jason, but no one seem a good prospect. That is another disadvantage of this place the number of GFS (Gays for Feet Squared) is way lower than Palermo.

IMG_4572.thumb.JPG.dc2fdb2cecd3db4394d36884d0175d9e.JPG

Meanwhile, last night I rolled the last hint with the weed I bought when I arrived. Do toy remember those two beautiful jars filled with flowers? Gone. One of the friends I am meeting today has a brother who is cultivating, so I will get a reinforcement for free.

17 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

crimes committed in the first world are an anomaly

I wouldn't say this.....Last place I lived in was Houston, robberies, beatings, shootings....daily life. Plus we've all heard about Chicago and Miami ^_^

I can speak about Brasil....we warn people ALL THE TIME, with reason. EVERY GP I know has a story of being robbed at by gun or knife, day or night. Myself included, a couple of times. Can't use your cell phone in the street or in a car/bus with an open window without fear of it being snatched.

Brasil has the famous "Good night Cinderella" Colombia has Devil's Breath, which I was a victim of.

Anyone that knows me, knows the types of "trouble" that I've gotten into (largely my fault for not following the warnings) being in the wrong place at times I shouldn't be.

I currently live in the safest city in Mexico....however, things happen here too.

1 hour ago, Latbear4blk said:

Meanwhile, last night I rolled the last hint with the weed I bought when I arrived. Do toy remember those two beautiful jars filled with flowers? Gone. One of the friends I am meeting today has a brother who is cultivating, so I will get a reinforcement for free.

Didn't you say you bought too much in an earlier post? :-)

17 minutes ago, floridarob said:

I wouldn't say this.....Last place I lived in was Houston, robberies, beatings, shootings....daily life. Plus we've all heard about Chicago and Miami ^_^

I can speak about Brasil....we warn people ALL THE TIME, with reason. EVERY GP I know has a story of being robbed at by gun or knife, day or night. Myself included, a couple of times. Can't use your cell phone in the street or in a car/bus with an open window without fear of it being snatched.

Brasil has the famous "Good night Cinderella" Colombia has Devil's Breath, which I was a victim of.

Anyone that knows me, knows the types of "trouble" that I've gotten into (largely my fault for not following the warnings) being in the wrong place at times I shouldn't be.

I currently live in the safest city in Mexico....however, things happen here too.

Your post had me googling a couple of things. I still don't know what "GP" stands for but I'd like to share one of the possible answers I got:

GP is a norvegian abbreviation for "Gullrute-Pussy

• Members
1 hour ago, iendo said:

Didn't you say you bought too much in an earlier post? :-)

Indeed, that was when I thought I was leaving last Tuesday. I even gave away some flowers to an old friend who is 83 years old and was complaining for not having a dealer.