reader

Prayut sets October reopening target for Thailand

From the Thai Enquirer

Thailand will reopen its borders by October, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said in a nationally televised address on Wednesday. 

Prayut said that it was a “calculated risk” that the government must take to protect livelihoods and the economy. 

Thailand is in the middle of the third wave of Covid-19 with daily infection rates hovering 2,000 cases and 30 deaths per day. Over 1,400 people have died since April 1. 

Prayut, whose government has been blamed for incorrect decisions that have exacerbated the current wave, said that his government has been prioritizing saving lives but now reopen the country to help the economy. 

”The time has now come for us to look ahead and set a date for when we can fully open our country and start receiving visitors because re-opening the country is one of the important ways to start reducing the enormous suffering of people who have lost their ability to earn an income,” he said. 

“I know this decision comes with some risk because when we open the country there will be an increase in infections, no matter how good our precautions.  But, I think, when we take into consideration the economic needs of people, the time has now come for us to take that calculated risk.“ 

The premier alluded to the July reopening of Phuket as well, saying that other tourist areas that were ready would be allowed to reopen even sooner. Thailand plans to adopt the Phuket reopening for other resort islands including Koh Samui and Koh Tao. 

Vaccines program

Prayut said that he expected the country to vaccinate 50 million people with at least one dose of the vaccine by October. 

Due to delays to the local production of AstraZeneca vaccines, Prayut said his government has signed deals with Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer and Moderna to deliver doses to the country. By the end of the year, the country should have had 100 million vaccines distributed or ready for distribution. 

The prime minister did not address why his government chose to rely on local production in the first half of the year to meet the needs of the population – a decision that has spectacularly backfired. 

It is also unclear if vaccinating 50 million people with one dose of vaccine will be enough for the country to reopen given the severity and rapidity with which the new Delta variant of Covid-19 is transmitted. A new study from the UK suggests that two doses are necessary to fight off the effect of the new variant.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28635/prayut-sets-october-reopening-target-for-thailand/

Anyone seen a vaccination programme in Pattaya that actually accepts farang? Over 60's with underlying conditions are still being denied access the the very small supply of vaccines in Thailand. Utterly disgraceful. But then the "Health Minister" will be delighted to see the bodies of dead "smelly farang" piling high. 

7 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

Anyone seen a vaccination programme in Pattaya that actually accepts farang? Over 60's with underlying conditions are still being denied access the the very small supply of vaccines in Thailand. Utterly disgraceful. But then the "Health Minister" will be delighted to see the bodies of dead "smelly farang" piling high. 

give him some credit, in every country, not just Thailand it would be loud grumbling if foreigners got any priority  over local population itching to be vaccinated

33 minutes ago, vinapu said:

give him some credit, in every country, not just Thailand it would be loud grumbling if foreigners got any priority  over local population itching to be vaccinated

I think the expectation is all people resident in a country are given access to the vaccine on the same basis.  That's how it works in the UK.   Even overseas students in the UK just for a year get the vaccine the same as anyone else.  

If that's not happening in Thailand, well it's up to those affected to bring the problem to the attention of national and international media.

3 minutes ago, Vessey said:

I find it encouraging that he is now accepting that Thailand (as elsewhere) will have to learn to live with the virus.

yup, that and only that is really the key takeaway from that speech and offers some hope for future developments. 

Specific promises, such as "will open in October" are pretty meaning- and worthless. As you correctly point out, timetables have to be flexible, not by  choice but by necessity. A million things could derail that promised opening, plus it might be just as fraught with red tape and uncertainties as the Phuket Sandbox. Therefore, I am personally unable to bank on it for my return to Thailand from a tentatively considered trip to Germany over the summer :( 

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

Sorry but I give him zero credit. All over 60s, especially with one of the other underlying health issues, should be next in line following health workers and other front line staff. What I don't understand is that I and an expat friend here in Bangkok have been given dates and times for our first jabs next month. Although both were made via a private hospital, we have been told we are part of the government scheme and will not have to pay.

I understood that private hospitals are (or will be) offering both doses  at 2500-3000 bht.

Like others, I was pleased to hear the announcement about re-opening. I checked EVA's flights from London, and yes, they are available in October. I also contacted Agate Hotel (Jomtien) but they are still closed, waiting and hoping.  

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but it was good to speak to P this morning and agree with him that we may be together in four months.

From The Thai Enquirer

Opposition demands more clarity over reopening risks

Opposition parties are seeking explanations over exactly what risks the country might have to face under the plan for reopening by October.

“If the premier is going to state that we ‘accept the risks of opening up’, then the people are going to need transparent information of what those risks are,” said Move Forward Party spokesman Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha stated in a televised national address that the country would reopen in 120 days, aimed at October 14, with 50 million people inoculated with a first dose by then.

“If I am to ask you to invest in my business, I need documentation of what kind of risks you are getting into,” he told Thai Enquirer. “In this case, there is no clear number of how many vaccines are arriving per month, and still [Prayut is] asking the people to accept the risk of opening up”.

The prime minister also stated that the country will have 105 million vaccines distributed within the year, after signing deals with Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer, and Moderna (read more here).

Wiroj conceded that vaccines require sophisticated production, but it should at least be possible to estimate a minimum delivery capacity, he said, citing health experts.

“If we aim to vaccinate 50 million people, but there is no information of minimum number of doses arriving per week, how can this be a reasonable plan?”

Wiroj further stated that, as of the Prime Minister’s address, he has not seen any cabinet resolution on how to acquire or produce the required number of vaccine doses.

“I would like the Prime Minister to address in further detail how many contracts the government has made [with vaccine manufacturers],” he said. “The number of 105 million doses will have to a combination of various contracts.”

Wiroj told the Thai Enquirer that he is not alleging that the contracts do not exist, just saying that he has not seen them, and would like some clarification on this from the premier.

“What Prayut said last night is just empty promises”, said Pichai Naripthaphan, deputy leader of the Pheu Thai Party. He expressed skepticism that the country would be able to reopen in just four months, when it has been unable to do for more than a year since the outbreak began.

To prove its commitment, the government should promise to resign if it fails to reach the goals set by Prayut on Wednesday, Pichai said, adding that people have lost patience with the government and its string of broken promises.

“If Prayut cannot open up within 120 days or procure or distribute 100 million vaccines, he should pack his bags and resign in order to show commitment to the people.”

Pichai said Prayut’s national address was also a response to criticism from Thaksin Shinawatra, a former premier currently in self-exile to avoid a range of charges.  

Pichai said Prayut’s national address was also a response to criticism from Thaksin Shinawatra, a former premier currently in self-exile to avoid a range of charges.  

“Tony’s comments have had a great impact on people,” he said, using a popular nickname for the ex-leader. “The national address aimed to counter that.”

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28691/opposition-demands-more-clarity-over-reopening-risks/

“Tony’s comments have had a great impact on people,” he said, using a popular nickname for the ex-leader. “The national address aimed to counter that.”

COVID-19

Government releases guideline for Phuket sandbox

Erich Parpart - June 18, 2021
The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) released, on Friday, a step-by-step guide for entering and exiting the "Phuket...

20 hours ago, reader said:

Opposition demands more clarity over reopening risks

There you go, everything already thrown into question, surprise surprise. Prayuth's "announcement" was not an "announcement" of actual measures at all, just of more wishful thinking & pipe dreams. :( :sad:

On 6/18/2021 at 1:09 PM, PeterRS said:

What I don't understand is that I and an expat friend here in Bangkok have been given dates and times for our first jabs next month. Although both were made via a private hospital, we have been told we are part of the government scheme and will not have to pay.

I believe I am friends with that friend as well.... if that is so, I can explain how he, as a farang, got the appointment. It was not "via the private hospital" but through the THAI registration app MorPhrom, done by a Thai person who simply labeled him as a "family member". I think what probably helped in that was that the farang friend has a pink card, but not sure it that was entered into the app. The appointment was originally scheduled for the vaccination site at Siam Paragon, but later could be moved to that private hospital within the app itself. Upon inquiring in person at the hospital about a week or so ago, the appointment was confirmed to the farang friend.

Now, I went to that same private hospital this week to inquire, and was told NO registration was possible, neither for the government program nor any eventual private and paid one by the hospital. All I was offered was filling out yet another questionnaire (they already had one or two such surveys in the past) where I was forced to chose which route I wanted, the government program (free) or the private one (paid). If selecting the private option one could select a favorite vaccine brand out of the ones approved here. However, one could select only ONE, which is stupid because there may be several I'd be ok with. So what I did was select the private option and put multiple vaccine brands in a "remarks" field as well as that I'd also be happy to accept the free govt. vaccine, whichever comes first. 

So, nothing concrete at all thus no chance of getting it here in Thailand any time soon.

As Anddy says above, the PM's plan to reopen the country is more idea than actionable plan.

From Bangkok Post

New conditions set for reopening

The plan to reopen the country comes with conditions, with a major requirement that only provinces that have vaccinated 70% of their population will be allowed to open completely, according to a Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting.

In addition, the Phuket sandbox tourism model could be paused on short notice if infections spike to 90 cases per week.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday announced a 120-day deadline for the country to reopen to international tourists and the return of normal business conditions.

However, at a CCSA meeting on Friday, the body noted the mid-October goal for reopening might not be achieved nationwide.

"We learned from our first failed attempt to reopen Phuket to tourists last year that such a plan should have mutual agreement from the local community. The provincial government should make the evaluation on whether the province is ready to open to international tourists," said Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

Mr Yuthasak said 18 airlines are ready to fly to Phuket, offering roughly 200 flights. The number of booked seats stands at 6,789, but the TAT estimates it will rise to 9,000-10,000.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2134799/new-conditions-set-for-reopening