Milk78

Chiang Mai Joiners

Back in 2020, I did not have any issues.      Someone else I met there was also having no issues.     So far I've never had a problem anywhere.

Note: When I book a room on booking.com or hotels.com, I always book the room for 2 people and check the terms and conditions for the hotel, to make sure there are no restrictions on joiners.    Therefore, if a hotel has not declared such restrictions, I would be perfectly prepared to point this out if they attempted to apply restrictions.   I've never needed to do that.

Your other option is to e-mail the hotel and ask.  

Thanks. 

Having a look at options the Airbnb scene there is better and cheaper than Bangkok so may very well do that and avoid the issue completely. 

There is a boy I met when I was there in early 2020, just before it got pandemic. He is local student I met from an app, not a bar boy. I am hoping we'll spend the week together.....

The Montien Hotel near the old Soi Twilight in Bangkok didn't allow joiners at all, if memory serves me correctly.

In CM I stayed at the Lotus opposite Adams Apple and there wasn't any problem as it was a "gay" hotel.

The Meridien Hotel is close to the gay bars inside the night market area so it's very convenient but it's a little bit more expensive than most so you would need to check with them to see if they allow joiners. Obviously some hotels don't want customers bringing prostitutes onto the premises.

4 hours ago, a-447 said:

Obviously some hotels don't want customers bringing prostitutes onto the premises.

I'd say " curiously some hotels don't want customers bringing prostitutes onto the premises."

Siam Heritage on Surawong was known for not allowing joiners   but not long before whole  covid debacle there was report by one of members that it doesn't apply anymore.

When thongs will get back to normal quite possibly it may be new normal for a while so all old rules may not apply. Perhaps even bars will    expand their offer to milk and every hotel will sport big sign ' joiners welcomed " .

On 7/12/2021 at 7:53 AM, a-447 said:

The Montien Hotel near the old Soi Twilight in Bangkok didn't allow joiners at all, if memory serves me correctly.

In CM I stayed at the Lotus opposite Adams Apple and there wasn't any problem as it was a "gay" hotel.

The Meridien Hotel is close to the gay bars inside the night market area so it's very convenient but it's a little bit more expensive than most so you would need to check with them to see if they allow joiners. Obviously some hotels don't want customers bringing prostitutes onto the premises.

I stayed at the Meridien Hotel several times in 2018 and 2018, after the Dusit closed. I never had any trouble with joiners, even at 1am, if I came back with a catch from the bars! No one said anything, other than 'good evening'!

I remember my first gay guide ("Thai Scene" circa 1996) suggesting that "well-dressed" joiners at The Oriental should have no problem.  Isn't there at "jacket only " policy at their famous La Normandie restaurant? It'd be fun to take a money-boy  there and see the result. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, a-447 said:

Your memory is spot on. I had a problem there a long time ago and never stayed again. I remember also when the Tawana Hotel on Suriwong was a Holiday inn. Every evening it had a table by the lifts manned with a member of staff and a list of guests. After a certain time, you would not be allowed into the lifts until you had shown your key card and proved that your guest had been properly registered. If not, you were charged for the second guest. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, a-447 said:

I once had a chat with an old friend who happened to be the Executive Assistant Manager at the Oriental before it became the Mandarin Oriental. We were having a drink and a chat in the lobby when a youngish guy (30 or thereabouts) walked in with quite obviously a bar girl (obvious from the way she was dressed - or undressed in tight skimpy T-shirt, mini pants and flip-flops!). My friend noticed them, waved to the concierge who promptly went up to the young man, had some words with him whereafter they both left.

I asked my friend what the criteria were for joiners at what was then probably the best hotel in the city. He told me they were not permitted and that this was clearly listed on the regulations on the back of each bedroom door. Hotels have a legal requirement to notify the authorities of the names of all guests staying overnight. So those who bring anonymous joiners would mean the hotel was breaking the law.

He admitted, though, that it was not always possible to tell. So the hotel's policy, he explained, was that if anyone came in with someone who looked very obviously like a bar boy or girl, they would not be permitted to enter the lifts. If they believed someone's companion might be a joiner, the concierge or each floor manager (yes, the hotel had a staff member on each floor) was instructed to approach the guest, politely ask for their room number and then run a quick unobtrusive check. On the other hand, if the guest and the joiner were dressed in accordance with the hotel's dress code, there was nothing they could do. Moral of that story is: in many of the top hotels, make sure your guest looks like a guest and not your boy du jour - or nuit.

As for the question raised in the OP, I'm sorry I don't know. I suspect if you are staying in somewhere like the luxury Dhara Devi (formerly the Mandarin Oriental) or the Shangri La you night consider the point I have just made. If it's somewhere like the Dust Princess or the Mercure, I 'm sure you will have no trouble.

I suspect the policies in the Mandarin Oriental are very much the exception.   

However, for those who don't want to take the risk of having guests turned away, there are already various ways of making sure.

1  e-mail the hotel and ask

2 Stay at a hotel recommended by someone else (including searching the forums)

3 Find a hotel where you don't have to walk past reception on the way in

4 Read the T&C on booking.com etc.   If you book a room for 2 people and the hotel wants to charge 500 baht for the second person, that's the sort of thing that really ought to be mentioned in the "House Rules" section.  I don't guarantee this is as reliable as the previous methods, but it must tip the odds in your favour.   

5 Google for lists of joiner friendly or girl friendly hotels, but exclude the purely commercial ones.   (Lists of boy friendly hotels appear to not exist)

I did not have any problems at The Odyssey or The Noble Tarntong Boutique in Chiang Mai (both near the one remaining gogo bar).

Thanks for all the comments. 

I think I am going to Airbnb it in Chiang Mai. I met a local university student when i was there in January 2020 and plan to hook up with him again for the week. 

I am going to spend a week there and then back to down to Bangkok for another week. I have secured a great deal at the Banyan Tree at something like 35% of their usual price so hope it will be alright to have joiners there. I have taken advice previously given and booked the room for two adults. I might send them a separate enquiry about joiners. I can cancel up 24hrs before the first night with no penalty so nothing lost if they have an issue. I can just cancel and book somewhere else when i see a good deal. The deal i got was too good not to get onboard with.