reader

Thai Airways to resume int’l and domestic flight operations

From Pattaya Mail

Thai Airways International (THAI) announced to resume international and domestic flight operations during the August – October period.

In response to demand for air travel, the airline will operate flights to international and domestic destinations under the Covid-19 prevention measures, said Nond Kalinta, THAI’s chief commercial officer.

The domestic route is:

1. Bangkok – Phuket: two flights per week every Thursday and Friday, starting from September to October.

The routes to support the Phuket Sandbox project are:

1. Bangkok- Phuket- Frankfurt: one weekly flight on Thursdays.
  2. Bangkok- Phuket – London: one weekly flight on Fridays.
  3. Bangkok-Paris-Phuket-Bangkok: one weekly flight on Thursdays.
  4. Bangkok-Zurich-Phuket- Bangkok: one weekly flight every Friday.

The routes to Europe and Australia

1. Bangkok – London: two flights per week, Wednesdays and Sundays.
  2. Bangkok – Frankfurt: two flights per week, Saturdays and Sundays.
  3. Bangkok – Copenhagen: two flights per week, Tuesdays and Saturdays (only on Saturdays in September).
  4. Bangkok – Sydney: two flights per week, Wednesdays and Sundays.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thai-airways-to-resume-intl-and-domestic-flight-operations-for-august-october-368592

12 hours ago, gerefan said:

Don’t rush and book months in advance. Airline ‘street cred’ is at an all time low and they cancel on a whim.

If interested suggest look at their reliability over several months to see how many “cancellations” happen.

I agree totally.

Do bear in mind that with the requirement for testing before traveling, COE's, advance hotel bookings etc, a flight cancellation would be far more inconvenient than normal.

For the last trip, we were checking which flights actually operated using FLIGHTRADAR24.    That gives up to 7 days data for free, so the options are to either pay the sub or monitor them over a period of time.  

Swiss Air seemed to operate reliably, whereas the number of flights operated by EVA and Thai did not seem to match what was advertised earlier.   Even Swiss moved our return flights, but that was announced weeks in advance, so was not a problem.

4 hours ago, z909 said:

I agree totally.

a flight cancellation would be far more inconvenient than normal.

inconvenient yes but at least airlines seem to be very accommodating. I already  re-schedule twice my last year ticket  to BKK with no questions asked. Now that told me to keep reservation code opened and book again whenever I will feel like flying. 

9 hours ago, gerefan said:

Another important point raised by that post.

DO NOT book with a retailer. Nowadays pay the little extra and book direct with the airline.

It save a lot of hassle if you need to change flight schedules and what happens if that retailer goes out of business? 

Yes I totally agree and better to book at the last minute.

While Thailand is still struggling with shot nr. 1, in Q4/2021 or beginning 2022 for some of us who want to go to Thailand a new uncertainty will arise: The 6-month-validity of the 2nd vaccination will expire. So we could try to get a third shot before departure (while I think most western countries will extend validity to 9 months, so might be difficult to obtain?), but will that be accepted by Thai authorities? Or we travel before expiry and the vaccination will expire during the stay in Thailand which could again raise some problens like limiting the travel options within Thailand.

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

While Thailand is still struggling with shot nr. 1, in Q4/2021 or beginning 2022 for some of us who want to go to Thailand a new uncertainty will arise: The 6-month-validity of the 2nd vaccination will expire. So we could try to get a third shot before departure (while I think most western countries will extend validity to 9 months, so might be difficult to obtain?), but will that be accepted by Thai authorities? Or we travel before expiry and the vaccination will expire during the stay in Thailand which could again raise some problems like limiting the travel options within Thailand.

your concerns are valid but I wouldn't worry until very close to decision about travel  . Rules are inconsistent from nation to nation and are changing more often than some people underwear. I don't even start about sense some of them make.

So while we mentally may be prepared for scenario A in fact version D.1.7 will apply at time of our travel.

Only thing we can do is to be prepared to jump at first feasible opportunity.

• Members

Nothing really shocking here (IMO), in spite of the click-bait title of the video.  With mediocre food & service, Thai Airways continues to be an OK but not very competitive international air travel option.  Maybe it used to be different & maybe that was the point of the video, but not recently.