PeterRS

The World's Safest Cities

It seems the number of world's "best" lists just keeps growing. and whether or not you agree with them is partly up to personal experience.

Every year since 2015 the Economist Intelligence Unit has compiled its world's Safest Cities list. This ranks 60 world cities on the basis of health security, infrastructure, personal security, digital security and, new this year, environmental security.

I guess with international travel so limited over the last year,  there were unlikely to be many changes. After all, six of the cities - Amsterdam, Tokyo, Melbourne, Toronto, Singapore and Sydney have featured in every list since it started.  Tokyo, Singapore and Osaka have regularly featured in the top three. The surprise this year, though, is the city heading the list which is as follows-

Copenhagen (up from 8th last year)

Toronto

Singapore

Sydney

Tokyo

Amsterdam

Wellington, New Zealand

Hong Kong and Melbourne (joint 8th)

Stockholm

Eleventh place was also a tie between Stockholm and New York.

"One key factor that makes Copenhagen such a safe city is its low crime rate, currently at its lowest level in more than a decade," Lars Weiss, lord mayor of Copenhagen, says in the report.

"Copenhagen is also characterized by great social cohesion and a relatively narrow wealth gap. It is a mixed city where both the cleaning assistant and the CEO meet each other at the local supermarket and have their kids in the same school. 

"This is one of the very cornerstones of Danish culture, and it contributes greatly to the high levels of trust and safety that we benefit from."

4 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

DC the 14th safest city in the world? Ha! This is bull shit.

now when Trump left perhaps it is ?

On serious note probably those surprised like you are legion or three but that's the 'beauty ' of all those rankings.

My social circle with well travelled strongly over represented still laughs at memory of mid-90ties ranking of US travel destinations by one of travel magazines for well -heeled (Conde Nast?, not sure ) when Palms Springs came on top

20 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

No doubt because it was where Liberace had his home 😲

no idea but how many foreigners  thinking USA thinks Palms Springs? 0.00017896% ? if that much 

And how many Americans planning 'local' vacations  starts from there ? even less I guess

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

no idea but how many foreigners  thinking USA thinks Palms Springs? 0.00017896% ? if that much 

And how many Americans planning 'local' vacations  starts from there ? even less I guess

I know a lot of gays who love Palm Springs and spend a lot of time there. I know a couple who have a home there. But yeah, the general population doesn't think about PS at all.

5 hours ago, fedssocr said:

I know a lot of gays who love Palm Springs and spend a lot of time there. I know a couple who have a home there.

On my only visit I also stayed with a couple of gay friends with a home there. But i have another unrelated reason for liking the city. As part of a round the world ticket I had flown in from LAX and then on to SFO. The airline code for Palm Springs is PPS. When I got my monthly mileage statement I was amazed to discover that I had many thousands of miles for what is just a 100 mile trip. Checking in more detail, I found that American Airlines had credited me with mileage to DPS. DPS is Denpasar Bali! I'm the first to complain when mileage is under credited. Did I call American about the over credit? I'm not stupid! LOL

Like @TotallyOz, I have visited all the top ten cities. Much as I love New Zealand which I visited twice for extensive trips, Wellington is too windy and too wet for my liking. I'd need to be in Auckland. Thanks to friends, I have spent many happy visits to Sydney which a few years ago would have been my first choice. But the climate issues and the dreadful annual bush fires would put me off now. So I'd opt now for the lovely city of Stockholm. 

Scandinavia_mr66.jpg

Scandinavia_mr80.jpg

Scandinavia_mr94.jpg