reader

Govt mulls resuming 'Test & Go"

That would be nice if they do return it, I will certainly use that over the sandbox if available. I have lost a bit of confidence in it though, not necessarily because they revoked it at such short notice but because the comms were so horrible and if I were traveling around the 15th of this month it would have been very stressful to navigate what was happening.

Chonburi may get Sandbox nod

From Bangkok Post

The government will lower the Covid-19 alert level and is considering easing more restrictions to boost the economy, the health minister said on Tuesday, in response to a slower infection rate.

Among measures being considered are establishing more "sandbox" areas for tourists, who can skip quarantine if they stay in specified areas for seven days and undergo two Covid-19 tests.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters new sandbox areas could include Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Khon Kaen and Samut Prakan provinces.

The scheme, a calibrated move to rebuild the decimated tourism sector, currently operates in Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi and Koh Samui.

Mr Anutin added that the 'Test and Go' scheme that allows free movement to tourists who pass one Covid test on arrival could be revived as soon as February.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2249539/govt-to-lower-covid-alert-ease-curbs-as-infections-slow

From Bangkok Post

Test & Go for overseas arrivals to be restored, fine-tuned

The Test & Go programme will be reintroduced soon while entry rules under the scheme will be tweaked to allow close monitoring of overseas arrivals' health, said Gen Supoj Malaniyom, head of operations at the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

Gen Supoj, also secretary-general of the National Security Council, added that Test & Go rules need to be tightened. The CCSA is looking into ways to monitor the health of overseas arrivals during the first seven days of entry.

It appears that under the tightening of the programme, arrivals will undergo two RT-PCR tests during their initial seven days, the first upon arrival and the second on the fifth or sixth day.

Before the programme was suspended earlier this month due to the emergence of the Omicron variant, overseas visitors only had to spend one night at a hotel. If their Covid-19 test was negative, they were free to leave their accommodation and enjoy their holidays. Gen Supoj said the CCSA on Wednesday assessed the pandemic situation in the kingdom and found that daily caseloads, which had shot up previously, were now stabilising.

The centre is considering adjusting areas with varying degrees of Covid-19 prevalence and easing some restrictions to allow greater mobility. Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has insisted measures should be modified where necessary to help revive the economy.

Also on Wednesday, the Public Health Ministry suggested that overseas visitors take out comprehensive health insurance that covers all Covid-19 treatment cases. Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the public health permanent secretary, said visitors must ensure they are fully covered for all types of Covid-19 treatments.

Partial insurance coverage leaves the government to pick up the rest of the bill. So far, 100 million baht of state funds have been disbursed. "We will no longer subsidise. The visitors must buy insurance that covers all treatments or purchase additional health insurance when they arrive here," Dr Kiattiphum said. "The measure will take effect when Test & Go is reintroduced."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2250235/test-go-for-overseas-arrivals-to-be-restored-fine-tuned

1 hour ago, vaughn said:

The way they are describing the desire to increase testing and make sure everyone has lots of insurance coverage, with some of the Health Minister's previous comments about farangs, maybe I'm cynical but it gives me a bad impression of the motives.

+1

The government are whinging about a pitiful 100 million Baht.

There were about 400,000 tourist arrivals in 2021, so this is about 250 Baht per tourist.  They will recover that many times over from visa fees and taxes.

A more intelligent approach would involve 2 steps:

1 Play the long term game and accept there may be some costs to encourage the return of tourists. 

2 Stop sending people to hospital when they don't need treatment.  As long as that's the policy, they are going to get pushback.  Also, some officials have suggested the policy must be to treat COVID as endemic, which is the only rational policy, since it is endemic and looks likely to remain so.  In which case, they should be completely abolishing any form of forced quarantine or hospitalisation. 

On the subject of COVID, back in late November I walked into a very quiet vaccine centre in Bangkok and got a free Pfizer booster.   Now, despite extra vaccine centres being set up, a Laos lad told me there was a long waiting list at the free centres. So he paid 1800 baht for Moderna at Makkasan.  He'd been vaccinated earlier that day and had the plaster on his upper arm.  His main reason was to get the vaccines so that he's allowed on flights.  Moderna is a good vaccine, but if I were his age, I'd prefer Pfizer due to the far smaller dose and lower myocarditis risk.

There is a lot to be said for fixing the roof when the sun is shining.

5 hours ago, vaughn said:

I'm not sure that this is a good announcement for me, while I would want to know if I did get covid so I can keep away from bars/crowds, the added PCR test raises the risk of asymptomatic hospitel/hospital.

I understand the day 1 test, but what does a day 7 test accomplish when there is already so much community transmission. It seems like the health ministry might still be stuck in the mindset that they can isolate away cases and reach covid zero again, or it is a cash grab.

The way they are describing the desire to increase testing and make sure everyone has lots of insurance coverage, with some of the Health Minister's previous comments about farangs, maybe I'm cynical but it gives me a bad impression of the motives.

I agree. it's the typical Thai way to not restore the test & go program they may enounce they will revive the program but might add so many restrictions so making it actually non test & go program.

A step forward,  but the 2nd PCR makes this a non starter for me.  I'm by nature a worrier and I'd have a week of torment thinking about the 2nd test.  I still don't understand why asymptomatic people would need to attend hospital.

As one poster said,  I'll just keep waiting until the rules change again. 

There is much confusion in the Thai media at the moment  about the resumption of Test and Go. Articles appear to contain incomplete details or in at lest one case inaccurate details. Everything remains very fluid.

From Richard Barrow's website:

FACT CHECK: Someone asked me about the story in The Nation regarding the updated rules for Test & Go. I can confirm that it isn’t true that you must book at least five nights in a hotel and show receipts to get a Thailand Pass. You only have to book for Day 1 and Day 5.

=========================

The language about changes in insurance requirements is ambiguous.

The official Thai Pass website contains no new information.

==========================

From Pattaya Mail

The CCSA also agreed to reimplement the “Test&Go” scheme for vaccinated international arrivals under nearly quarantine-free conditions. Two RT-PCR tests are required on Day 1 and Day 5 of the arrival. Travelers must stay at SHA+ hotels while waiting for the PCR results. These must be paid for in advance and there will be a system in place to ensure that tourists check into hotels, especially on Day 5. One will need to only stay at the hotel until the results of their test arrive. There does not appear to be a country restriction on the Test and Go program based on the preliminary information.

Upon arrival in Thailand, travelers must present receipt or booking records of the SHA+ hotels on the nights after the PCR tests. The registrations of “Thailand Pass” for entering the program under Test and Go would reopen on February 1st. You will not be able to register for Test and Go prior to this date. There was not a specific time announced for when this will open on this day.

The Test and Go program will need to be officially released as law in the Royal Gazette, like all major laws, before becoming “official”.  Specific regulations will also be clarified when this happens, although there is not a “promised” date or time for the release of the changes and could be anytime before February 1st. 

For individuals interested in Sandboxes versus Test and Go, Chonburi (Banglamung, Pattaya, Sri Racha, Koh Sichang, Sattahip(only Na Jomtien and Bang Saray) will be added. Additionally, so will Trat (Koh Chang only), and additional travel links will be opened between Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Surat Thani(Koh Samui, Phangan, Koh Tao). This is effective February 1st in terms of registration, but will also need to be published in the Royal Gazette. TPN notes that with Test and Go reopening there is not a significant difference between sandbox and test and go plans, although one needs to stay at a qualified hotel for their entire sandbox stay.

In other changes, high-risk contacts will now be isolated/quarantined for only 7 days versus previously having to be quarantined for up to fourteen days. They will need to have several negative rapid Covid-19 tests both before their release from isolation (Day 5/6) and after being released (Day 10). The guidelines for what entails a high-risk contact are also much more clear than before, specifying that to be considered a high-risk close contact one must have been with the positive case in question on the day of the onset of the illness or 2-3 days before the onset of symptoms in a closed place for more than 30 minutes. Not wearing masks during contact or close moments is also considered high-risk.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/20/thailand-covid-19-center-announces-major-covid-19-preventive-measures-changes-including-resumption-of-testgo-scheme/