emiel1981

Where to get tacky souvenirs?

If you have time on the weekend, Chatuchak Weekend Market is a good place to find all kinds of souvenirs. The toy stalls would be full of tacky crap, but you might find some good scores for yourself.

The Amulet Market over by Thammasat University could have something, this might not be tacky enough and more buddha and cultural things.

I don't know how tacky you need them, the shopping in the terminals at Swampy on your departure will have a bunch of random crap like tuk-tuk models, but it is overpriced.

But If I was hunting for the tackiest possible souvenir I would look around markets close to the touristy temples, the floating market, or maybe some elephant pants from Khaosan Rd. In normal times I'd suggest just following the flag on a pole (if you know, you know) 😅

Patpong Night market may be not reinstated yet but in the evening there are still some souvenir stands along Silom between hospital and former Robinson.

Tourist Boat piers near Grand Palace and Khaosan are good hunting grounds as well as Grand Palace vicinity toward National Museum and KhaoSan herself

Sukhumvit in the evening between sois 3 and 21 too  

during daytime markets at Silom soi 8 and on opposite side in soi 5 may have some

I saw few souvenir stands on Convent in between all those food stands

Plenty souvenirs in New Twilight, Tawan, Moonlight, FreshBoys, DreamBoys, HotMale, Banana Club and Jupiter but I'd not call them tacky and are rather on expensive side compare to tuk-tuk above 

8 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

And across the street from MBK on the ground floor of the kind of new art center is a terrific specialty coffee shop that makes coffee only with beans grown in Thailand. You can buy bags of the beans, which also make terrific souvenirs. In that same building but on a higher floor is a specialty chocolate bar shop that makes world-class chocolate with beans only grown in Thailand. The bars on the expensive side but are wonderful souvenirs 

Thank you for recommendations but stay on the subject, question was about tacky, not high quality souvenirs, LOL

MBK should be first choice for this-plus that its even reasonably easy to get to on the BTS+ short walk. Then you can also admire the newly turned into yet another ´walking street´ on what are uni-grounds in Siam Centre-other side of road. About all stalls here are driven by Burmese. There are/were also 2 foodcourts-a much cheaper one for the locals and vendors a bit hidden on a high floor. If still some culture is wished for after the tackiness: perhaps that sloping round museum/exhibition building opposite has some exposition going on.

Next best -plus a dip into the other side of the s.. bisnis: Sukhumvit, the lower sois abound(ed?) with street and soi-side stalls. Also easy on the BTS+ 1 change at Siam. Walk-if you can manage-till that tower/mall with dirt cheap food court on 6th or 7th-just below the cinemaś and get MRT (=underground, gives half fare to seniors from all nations) back. Easy to spend the afternoon. You´ll just pass by soi CowBOY-except that this does not do many boys............