Uqtyang

Brazil will again require visas from Americans, Japanese, Australians and Canadians.

• Members
1 hour ago, xpaulo said:

Tourism pretty much shut down March, 2020. and really just started perking up late last year. So the impact would have been minimal.

Tourism wasn’t in significantly greater numbers without the visa requirement. This was addressed in the Reuters article I posted.

”Brazilian government studies also showed the impact on tourism numbers was minimal, though the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic may have also limited a potential boost.

The number of tourist arrivals from the U.S. - who represent a small fraction of tourists in Brazil - in 2022 was still below 2018 figures.

• Members

If the trends in this article are correct, a piece a few years ago and presumably without any bias aimed at reclaiming the reciprocity angle, they read like a back-to-school sale eventually followed by a Black Friday sale, though obviously the analogy does not fly in terms of durations.

The e-Visa had a substantial effect over at least its first 12 months, in fact, likely over its 18 months preceding the waiver. The waiver itself spurred a large increase in Brazil travel plans made upon announcement of the waiver and arranged to follow the date of the waiver implementation. In fact, those large transient increases in travel commitment were for Brazilian winter.

These stats may have, in part, represented a “bucket list” phenomenon wherein many travellers plan to go to a destination once in their lifetime, and the ease of requirements sweetens the pot, leading to jumping in while the going is good compared to previous hurdles. If so, a sustained effect magnitude postponed to 2022/2023, owing to pandemic factors, might approximate the type of dropping off that would have occurred anyway. Hence, comparing 2022 to 2018 is somewhat like apples-oranges when the rapidly plucked low-hanging candidates had done&dusted Brazil travel for the full calendar years 2018 and 2019, checking the box then moving down the destination list. 

That said, the assumption, however accurate, that the changes now yield diminishing returns for Brazil tourism, and the reinstatement of a hurdle, likely poses a “taking candy from a baby” effect. Loss aversion usually dictates asymmetry between the pain in losing something and the pleasure in having acquired it. However, perhaps the hoped for advantages of negotiating reciprocity outweigh the loss of residual wish-list tourism. 

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/running-your-business/stats-e-visas-led-to-record-2018-for-brazil-tourism

• Members
On 3/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, Latbear4blk said:

Spring? I will be in Rio in April, the second and third week. 

You likely travel prepared, and with a mask supply, but in case you are not aware face covering this winter was, and currently continues to be, required within the more formal areas of Brazil airports such as customs and security. For my domestic trip customs was not involved but some travellers caught off guard were scrambling to obtain masks to enter security clearance and they were worn as well on the flight. 

9 minutes ago, Riobard said:

some travellers caught off guard

Noticed the same in Colombia in January. Actually needed a mask to clear customs/immigration at the Bogota airport, fortunately I had some handy. Needed masks to go through most security at airports, then inconsistent after that. Some Latam flights had to wear a mask for the entire flight and others almost nobody wearing a mask. Most secure areas in airports people not wearing them. But like you saw people running to get masks so they could board their flight.

• Members
22 minutes ago, Riobard said:

You likely travel prepared, and with a mask supply, but in case you are not aware face covering this winter was, and currently continues to be, required within the more formal areas of Brazil airports such as customs and security. For my domestic trip customs was not involved but some travellers caught off guard were scrambling to obtain masks to enter security clearance and they were worn as well on the flight. 

Thank you for the reminder. Yes, I was there last November. My flight back to the US departed a few days before mask mandates were reinstated.

• Members
21 minutes ago, vinapu said:

no , because I don't need Brazilian visa there's nothing to refund

I guess you are not American.  So I will rephrase my question: Do Americans get refund if their Brazilian visa application(prior to 2019 and starting in October this year) are rejected?

14 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I guess you are not American.  So I will rephrase my question: Do Americans get refund if their Brazilian visa application(prior to 2019 and starting in October this year) are rejected?

right

as for your question , first we need to find out what is percentage of American applicants having rejected Brazilian visas ( 1.2%) vs. Brazilian having rejected their applications by Americans (28.4 % ) and we will see that we are not talking about equal treatment thus not comparing apples to apples

• Members
13 minutes ago, vinapu said:

right

as for your question , first we need to find out what is percentage of American applicants having rejected Brazilian visas ( 1.2%) vs. Brazilian having rejected their applications by Americans (28.4 % ) and we will see that we are not talking about equal treatment thus not comparing apples to apples

Then, we need to find out what is percentage Americans overstay (or entering illegally) in Brazil, and the percentage Brazilians overstay (or entering illegally) in American. I personally know a few Brazilians in America overstayed their visa in American and have no intention to return to Brazil.  Last year I went to Germany, while exiting the country, the immigration scrutinize the Brazilian guy in line ahead of me.  The officer insisted on reviewing all his travel, school, and visa documents.  Apparently he was in Germany for a short term school course.  It took a long time to review, the officer finally asked him to step aside and talk to another officer.  When it was my turn, the officer used machine to scan my American passport, then stamped on it, didn't speak a word.    There is a reason why Brazilians are treated in this manner. 

• Members
15 hours ago, Vanbcanthony said:

I know. But it's such a hassle considering it has been visa free for a while

Getting a consular visa is hella more complicated than the e-visa was or will be when reinstated. Not the least of which is the aggravation of your passport leaving your possession temporarily.

How much replenished staffing at BRZ consulates in Canada will occur to accommodate in-person and/or postal mail consular visa application is uncertain. Staffing was slashed concomitant with e-visa and then visa waiver. Serving Canadians in a staffed environment was virtually eliminated and services were oriented to that remaining part geared to Brazilian nationals in Canada. The e-visa option is simpler and there will be resistance to funding manpower for two systems simply to accommodate a 2-choice prerogative for applicants. The e-visa likely has a globally coordinated digital processing centre as opposed to running through several regional consulate offices throughout the 4 affected nations. 

Recent CoV-related transient travel hassles (eg, testing and insurance add-ons) to Brazil far outweigh the e-visa aggravation in terms of both labour and costs. Me and travel companions required e-visas for visiting Argentine section of Iguassu Falls. Same idea; fairly simple.

——

I pulled up two old 2018 Brazil e-visa threads under LatinAmer heading, by posting brief current replies, in order to be contemporaneous in thread order with the current new Gay Brazil thread.

17 hours ago, endlessdream said:

Lol. Which country refunds visa fees in case of rejection?

you may be right  but there's  difference between non-refundable nominal fees say 20-30$ and nonrefundable 100-200 $ specially for residents of poorer countries

• Members
On 3/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, vinapu said:

right

How would Americans be in possession of rejected Brazilian visas? There is no such thing as a rejected visa, only a rejected application. Similarly, how could an American applicant for some entity be in possession of another faction’s non-entity? Why would Brazilians reject their own visa applications made by Americans on behalf of those Brazilians? And is it a single Brazilian or a collective of Brazilians? How does the apples-oranges idiom relate to this jumble, even if a hot mess of a string of thoughts does give one the giggles? How much effort should one make to search for contextual content to begin to make heads or tails of an unstructured and semantically disjointed array of expression in a sentence? Answer: not much, depends on individual forbearance. I myself can’t go the full distance of 560 content pages of this ilk. That’s just me. But I’m open to a reasonable explanation behind it. Reciprocidade.