PeterRS

London's Pride Parade

15 hours ago, PeterRS said:

The UK newspapers are full of photos and comments on yesterday's Pride Parade. It certainly seems to have been a fun event. Many comment that as many as 30,000 took part. 30,000? How is it that London has such a small number when Taipei has around 200,000 and gets little mention in the UK newspapers?

Depends how you define "taking part".  According to the BBC more than a million people took to the streets to celebrate Pride which seems a significant and proportionate number. The 30,000 you refer to is actual participants in the official "procession of floats, performers and dancers".  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66074940

6 hours ago, forky123 said:

Why would Taipei's pride festival get mentioned in UK newspapers?

You can also ask: why would London's Pride Parade be mentioned in Thai newspapers?

7 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Depends how you define "taking part".  According to the BBC more than a million people took to the streets to celebrate Pride which seems a significant and proportionate number. The 30,000 you refer to is actual participants in the official "procession of floats, performers and dancers".

Agree. On the other hand, Taipei's Parade number reflects only the marchers and does not mention the hundreds of thousands watching along the Parade route, many visitors. I do think the Parade itself is the most important element. If there were no Parade participants, there would be no watchers!

14 minutes ago, forky123 said:

Why would Taipei's pride festival get mentioned in UK newspapers?

I never would ask that, I wouldn't expect it to be & wouldn't find it noteworthy if it wasn't.

So I wonder why you think London's Pride Parade is worthy of mention in any South East Asian newspaper? I may have missed it but I don't recall Sydney's Pride Parade being mentioned in the Bangkok Post this year.

What I said:

image.thumb.png.bd45642f202e1035d863259efc25b88b.png

What you claimed I said:

image.thumb.png.f9c7de109a9b0978456ba054643e465d.png

It's not a quote when you take the answer to one question and put it to a completely different question to make it seem I said something other than I did. In future, paste accurate quotes and not your fabrications.

It's quite obvious from my previous posts, fake quotes from you aside, that I don't believe either are newsworthy in the others domain. 

it was a very fun event. The parade stretched from Hyde Park to Trafalgar square. Lots of eyes candies among the people parading and the spectators. There was no one fully or partly naked though, so in a way Taipei pride is more transgressive than the London one.

Hard to give an estimate of the audience as people would just look for a while and then go their way. Definitely more than 30K people. Enjoyed the after party events. 

2 hours ago, forky123 said:

It's not a quote when you take the answer to one question and put it to a completely different question to make it seem I said something other than I did. In future, paste accurate quotes and not your fabrications.

Apologies! Yes, I took one quote and responded to it. I then thought it useful (to some, perhaps) to edit and add part of your second quote. Unfortunately, it is less easy to add in a second original quote, so I merely added the extra sentence. I did not mean to upset you or imply something you did not say. I acknowledge you made two separate statements.

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

not that I mind but I wonder what kind of statement about gays and gay life are trying to drive  those who would be parading naked 

What kind of statement they trying to make? No idea. I would never do it, so can't really imagine what's going on someone's mind that they decide to go out naked on the streets. I would also be a liar If I say that I wouldn't like watching if that person going around naked is a young smooth twink, preferably Asian.

I'm not shy or prude but if we want to be treated as part of mainstream we should behave and present ourselves  like that part. And parading naked is not (yet?) part of mainstream.

Sure I'm for exception for fit , smooth young Asians but reality is , at least in overweight and hairy Western world we can't hope much for such esthetics  

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'm not shy or prude but if we want to be treated as part of mainstream we should behave and present ourselves  like that part. And parading naked is not (yet?) part of mainstream.

Sure I'm for exception for fit , smooth young Asians but reality is , at least in overweight and hairy Western world we can't hope much for such esthetics  

Well, maybe it's pointless going around naked at SF, NYC, Berlin or Madrid pride cause even if you do it another another day, people won't really get shocked and you wouldn't be much intro trouble anyway. however, I think it's different for Taipei pride. As the Latins used to say: semel in anno licet insanire ("once in a year one is allowed to go crazy") and for the gay population of the biggest continent that place and that day is Taipei pride. It's the day when guys can do stuff, even the wildest one, without having to worry about what others think or being punished for it. Many of my friends in other Asian countries get surprised from the pics I show them of Taipei pride.

It's pretty much a relief valve and me and some other people in this forum are happy spectators of it

5 hours ago, hojacat said:

It's pretty much a relief valve and me and some other people in this forum are happy spectators of it

Both spectators and marchers! But let's be clear that there is no full nudity in the Taipei Pride Parade - at least not that I have ever seen in the many Parades in which I have taken part. A small number of young and fit guys wearing their latest skimpy swimwear are often to be seen. But then the weather at the end of October will almost aways be very warm so that marching in briefs must be very pleasant.

16 hours ago, hojacat said:

What kind of statement they trying to make? No idea. I would never do it, so can't really imagine what's going on someone's mind that they decide to go out naked on the streets.

Search for "world naked bike ride" in a city near you.

According to their wiki:

"The ride demonstrates the vulnerability of cyclists on the road and is a protest against car culture."

29 minutes ago, thaiophilus said:

Search for "world naked bike ride" in a city near you.

According to their wiki:

"The ride demonstrates the vulnerability of cyclists on the road and is a protest against car culture."

shortly we will hear that walking dressed on the beach is protest against global warming.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:46 PM, PeterRS said:

Both spectators and marchers! But let's be clear that there is no full nudity in the Taipei Pride Parade - at least not that I have ever seen in the many Parades in which I have taken part. A small number of young and fit guys wearing their latest skimpy swimwear are often to be seen. But then the weather at the end of October will almost aways be very warm so that marching in briefs must be very pleasant.

Well, I actually saw once a few years ago a guy going fully naked at Taipei pride. I have a posted a pic of him in another post under the "Taiwan" topic.

Beside guys wearing mini swimwear, in the 2019 parade saw also  quite a few guys wearing open butt pants, something similar to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353618185001