barcelona92

money boys

Live in Thailand and you still have the enjoyment of returning. @10tazione has already mentioned the border runs which make it easy to travel to neighbouring countries with the joy of returning to look forward to. I live here and frequently travel to Taiwan, Vietnam and occasionally Japan. Airfares are a great deal less expensive than from Europe or the USA, I love those travels and I love returning. Best of both worlds! Plus it's much cheaper living here than in the UK.

9 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Do a border run and consider it travelling to Thailand from Thailand :)

all countries bordering Thailand are too tempting for longer visit to do just border run, specially Cambodia,

but you are on something , when I go to Thailand and then to say, Laos for a few days and then return to Thailand  I count it for myself as two Thai trips, not just one.   

8 hours ago, scott456 said:

All being said, to live in Thailand, the person needs to actually enjoy being a resident in Thailand (dealing with......weather...etc). 

Valid point at last for me. I doubt I'd like to live in place where is almost always hot. I like my 4 seasons although with age I can see that I tolerate heat a bit better than 10-15 years ago

On 9/2/2023 at 1:42 AM, vinapu said:

Valid point at last for me. I doubt I'd like to live in place where is almost always hot. I like my 4 seasons although with age I can see that I tolerate heat a bit better than 10-15 years ago

Same with me , Sydney has been nothing but cold the last 8 months average like 16 degrees ,.my old bones doesn't like it 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:42 PM, vinapu said:

I doubt I'd like to live in place where is almost always hot. I like my 4 seasons although with age I can see that I tolerate heat a bit better than 10-15 years ago

I remember my first year in Hong Kong. Having arrived from the UK in early March, the weather was pleasant although the humdity did start to rise quite quickly. By May the temperature was rising daily and by early June I was not sure I could take an entire summer of it, the more so as it was allied to a level of humidity I had never before experienced! But the body adjusted relatively quickly - or is that much more a young body? I can understand those much more used to a variety of seasons finding constant heat more difficult to bear year round.

• Members
36 minutes ago, gerefan said:

Definitely. I too lived in Hong Kong for three years.

As a fifteen year old the heat and humidity never bothered me, however my parents always complained about it. I remember telling them it was all in the mind….how wrong I was! 

The AC in HK is nice and cold.

6 hours ago, scott456 said:

The last time I visited HK was in the summer of 2019.  The AC in the hotel was super strong and cold, I had to wear a sweatshirt.  

I always found that a problem in Hong Kong: air con in hotels and most shopping malls way too high.

6 hours ago, gerefan said:

I forgot to say we lived there in the early 1960’s.
No aircon!!

I was surprised when I learned that Government House, the large home of the Hong Kong Governor, did not have air con installed until the start of 1979. Had it been located on The Peak, the breeze would have kept the rooms cool. But it is a 2-storey structure situated very close to the harbour virtually behind the HSBC building.