reader

Pattaya tourism outlook hazy

From Pattaya Mail

With the high season fast approaching, Sanphet Suphabuansathien, President of the Thai Hotel Association (Eastern Chapter), has voiced concerns over national stability and the critical issue of high airfares and seats availability. These uncertainties are impacting traveler decisions and adding complexity to preparations for the upcoming high season.

Sanphet emphasized, “To welcome visitors to Thailand and Pattaya, it is crucial that we demonstrate our readiness, particularly in terms of safety. We are well aware of the need to build confidence among both international tourists and Thai nationals.”

Yet, uncertainties remain, primarily due to the scarcity of dependable flight options. Sanphet highlighted that airlines operating below full capacity are causing challenges during price negotiations. Potential tourists often cite high airfare rates as a deterrent to their travel plans. Consequently, the outlook for hotel bookings during the high season remains unclear.

The hotel industry eagerly anticipates support from the new government, which emphasizes stimulating the economy through tourism and services. This approach is considered essential for generating substantial revenue for the country. The industry is seeking comprehensive policies and proactive promotions to enhance Thailand’s global competitiveness.

Somsong Sachaphimukh, Deputy Chairman of the Tourism Industry Council of Thailand, underscored the need to cater to the preferences of Indian tourists, particularly in terms of food and entertainment. Swift adaptation is crucial to prevent these tourists from choosing alternative destinations.

As India emerges as a potent force in Asian tourism, Thailand is witnessing a significant influx of Indian travelers. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) projects around 1.6 million Indian visitors in 2023. Chai Eamsiri, CEO of Thai Airways, highlighted the Indian market’s strength. Presently, Thai Airways operates 70 weekly flights to India, in contrast to 14 flights to China. This reduction is a result of COVID-19 challenges. With Thailand’s narrow-bodied fleet poised to expand in the coming decade, future operations might pivot more towards India.

From Pattaya Mail

Pattaya’s tourism landscape shifts as Chinese visitor numbers decline

Pattaya is facing new challenges as the flow of Chinese tourists, once a dominant force, dwindles. The President of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association (PBTA) Boonanan Pattanasin, has highlighted the evolving dynamics of this popular travel hub on August 28.

For years, Pattaya has drawn in millions of Chinese tourists, acting as a substantial economic contributor. However, recent stringent visa regulations and concerns about potentially unaccounted Chinese funds have triggered a notable drop in these figures. In the interest of curbing gray-market financial activities, tighter regulations and meticulous vetting procedures have been implemented, leading to a decline in tourist numbers.

Boonanan recognized that this downturn can be attributed to a combination of factors, including decreased flight availability and rising airfares. This trend, affecting the broader Thai tourism landscape, is also influencing Pattaya. To combat these challenges, collaborative strategies have been launched involving public and private sectors, along with airlines, to boost flight capacity at U-Tapao International Airport and promote tourism during the upcoming high season.

The shifting behavior of Chinese visitors is evident, with a growing preference for independent travel (FIT) over group tours. Nonetheless, group tours still constitute a considerable 40% of the total Chinese visitors. Despite this, Pattaya has witnessed a noticeable decline in Chinese tourist arrivals, which has left a mark on hotel occupancy rates.

Pattaya’s situation is further complicated by its airport’s limitations. While U-Tapao International Airport serves as a gateway, its flight options are limited. Nevertheless, Chinese tourists remain pivotal to Pattaya’s economic fabric, supporting local businesses both as FIT travelers and group tourists.

Recent tourism trends in Thailand suggest encouraging growth, with a steady stream of foreign visitors. Notably, Vietnamese tourists have spearheaded this trend, contributing to a 14.40% increase, followed by South Korean and Indian tourists at 9.27% and 7.17% respectively. These statistics bode well for the remainder of 2023, hinting at a robust visitor turnout primarily from the ASEAN, East Asian, and South Asian regions.

6 hours ago, reader said:

Recent tourism trends in Thailand suggest encouraging growth, with a steady stream of foreign visitors. Notably, Vietnamese tourists have spearheaded this trend, contributing to a 14.40% increase, followed by South Korean and Indian tourists at 9.27% and 7.17% respectively.

what about me ?, I was in Thailand  already 3 times in 2023 , increase of 50% over 2022

15 minutes ago, gayinpattaya said:

There are Indians EVERYWHERE. In fact, some areas of Pattaya look, feel and SMELL like India now. My Thai friend from Chiang Mai was horrified how they have ghettoised an entire area of Pattaya.

Indians are everywhere all over, not just in Pattaya or even in Thailand but all over the entire planet. They already have 10 Downing Street and aiming for the White House :)

58 minutes ago, Phoenixblue said:

Indians are everywhere all over, not just in Pattaya or even in Thailand but all over the entire planet. They already have 10 Downing Street and aiming for the White House :)

Let them have it. England has been lost already. A failed state shithole. I'll just keep myself as far away from them as possible. 

8 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

There are Indians EVERYWHERE. In fact, some areas of Pattaya look, feel and SMELL like India now

You are on something, now every second or third restaurant in Pattaya seems to be Indian one.

I wouldn't say everywhere though as I saw very few of them, if any ,  in Boyztown or Jomtien boy bars.

10 minutes ago, gayinpattaya said:

Some have been drifting through Jomtien Complex. Surprisingly they never get a "HELLOOO WELCOMEEE" from any of the bars. 

They have some reputation for stinginess that's probably why. On another hand I asked one BBB boy I offed few times whether it's true Indians are poor tippers and he said 

"not all, some are spending big"

Hot news! While X-boys is committing suicide, there's a hot new bar in town. It's on walking street only about 50m from the junction with Beach Road.

Upstairs it has 2 rooms. The front room has male dancers and the back room has "Russian girls" as advertised 

Of course I chose to sit in the front room. The dancers come on stage one at a time since it's a small bar (and they really dance, including going 3m up the pole).  All buffed white males, 1.8m, with chest hair. They're gender neutral. After each stage number they go to each customer and grind their groins in customers' faces, whether male or female clients. For a 100 baht tip of course. At first I thought all Russian, but at least one was Brazilian. No nudity however, just down to briefs.

PXL_20231209_134932685.jpg

6 hours ago, forrestreid said:

Were the majority of the clients male or female?

And did they look Asian or western?

In the front room, other than myself, there was just one group of Koreans: three guys and three girls. The dancers gave equal attention to the guys as to the girls. It was interesting to see how at first the (straight) guys flinched when the dancers approached them, positioning their pubic regions no more than a hand-span from the Korean guys' faces. They almost freaked out when the dancers pulled their trouser waist-bands forward to invite them to tuck a tip in.

But that was just their reaction to the first 2 dancers. By the third dancer, the Koreans guys were just as into the scene as the anyone of us would be. I observed one of them do a full Vinapu tuck, to make sure the 100-baht bill was securely inside.

After watching four dancers and tipping each one of them 100 baht, I decided to take a look at the women's room. Technically I was required to buy another drink to enter that room*, but I worked my charm on the manager and the second-drink requirement was waived. What did I see? A svelt white girl on stage curled around a pole and two other white girls in the sofas against the wall (from their skimpy dressing obviously dancers too, waiting their turn). But not a single customer in sight.

*that's similar to what I been sayng for years about gay gogo bars. They should have separate rooms: one for rotation boys and offing, and another for just the show (at specific times). They should keep drink prices low for the room with numbertag boys and charge an extra drink for the showtime room.