newtobangkok123

First-timer: confused about how massages work

22 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

The drop-down for service status has 3 labels: "Ready", "not available", and "not yet notified of employment".

Any idea what the last means?

Not available: They've temporarily removed themselves from roster due to day job or other commitments.

Not yet notified of employment: They've not indicated that they're available that day.

Ready: They've made themselves available within short time frame (a few may be hanging around shop).

19 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Also what does 'public' mean! They all say it. I assume it doesn't meant sex in the street!

Public: Tip for going to your hotel/place.

======================

You may also see ""HOT" on photo of various guys. It's been my experience that no special consideration should be automatically given.

(Above are my understandings of terms. Possible I lost something in translation. 🙂)

I think the term "public" is a classifier or tag to indicate that all the information on the info box for the named service provider is available for public release. Each provider may also have additional information in his database profile tagged as Private. Examples of Private info items might include his real name, personal phone or Line number, history of bookings, etc which only the shop management can access. 

Of course the tag "public" should not itself be displayed, since doing so would only confuse the public 🤣

2 hours ago, reader said:

Not available: They've temporarily removed themselves from roster due to day job or other commitments.

Not yet notified of employment: They've not indicated that they're available that day.

Ready: They've made themselves available within short time frame (a few may be hanging around shop).

Public: Tip for going to your hotel/place.

======================

You may also see ""HOT" on photo of various guys. It's been my experience that no special consideration should be automatically given.

(Above are my understandings of terms. Possible I lost something in translation. 🙂)

Ok. Thanks!

On 1/12/2024 at 3:42 PM, newtobangkok123 said:

If a massage parlour does not specify a minimum tip, does that mean it is not "that kind" of parlour? 

Based on my limited recent experience in Bangkok - I had three massages - two with "extras", one "legit" (at Prime) - all three places mentioned minimum tip. I went to Senso, Arena and Prime. In each case, I gave more than the minimum tip (I think I doubled it).

On 1/12/2024 at 4:19 PM, newtobangkok123 said:

Yes I read it and lots of other stuff, but I still didn't understand, so I asked a question to clarify. 

I'm still not clear on whether parlours that do not ask for tips are "that kind" of parlour, hence my follow-up question.

The forum is currently accepting new registrations so I did not think being a new member was a problem. I apologize.

Don't worry about it. I got roasted when I first joined for not "following the rules" but they were really just the rules of one old troll who thankfully is gone now. I'm very happy to answer questions for newbies.

On 1/12/2024 at 7:11 PM, macaroni21 said:

@newtobangkok123

What happens if, in what looks like a legit place, the service provider also delivers a handjob in the privacy of the room?

I've had a few instances where this happened. I think I can safely say, nothing extra will happen without a discussion of a tip. I used to go to the Ambassador Hotel for legit massage with extra. Only the very first time I went there, I got extra and there was no mention of a tip (from a beautiful muscle guy). After that, every time I went, I'd get a wonderful oil massage with lots of teasing that got me to the point where I could no longer take it, and he'd then lean over and ask me if I was going to tip him and we'd negotiate the price. It has happened in other "legit" venues as well. A tip was always negotiated before they brought me to my grand finale.

I'm going back 20-30 years here. On my last trip, every place I visited told you up front what the minimum tip was.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:11 AM, macaroni21 said:

I tend to tip some kind of industry average for handjob, which, in Bangkok (since you asked about Bangkok), may be in the 1000 - 1200 range

Wow, you're so generous! I read a survey conducted by a local Thai Twitter account, and they said that the usual tip is only 300 - 500 baht for a handjob.

2 hours ago, kachun214 said:

Wow, you're so generous! I read a survey conducted by a local Thai Twitter account, and they said that the usual tip is only 300 - 500 baht for a handjob.

Well, two ways to look at it that put it in perspective.

(1) Compare your monthly income to that of local Thai Twitter account member.

(2) Consider how much you'd charge to give typical Bangkok tourist a handjob. 🙂

2 hours ago, reader said:

I think it doesn't a matter where you come from or how much you earn, but a matter how much you are willing to pay. In another word, how do you value the service😉

21 minutes ago, kachun214 said:

I think it doesn't a matter where you come from or how much you earn, but a matter how much you are willing to pay. In another word, how do you value the service😉

If you're a foreigner who values the service at 300-500 baht. I think you'll find that you get what you pay for.

12 hours ago, reader said:

Do you pay your food, hotel and other stuff by this same perspective as well? 

16 hours ago, kachun214 said:

I read a survey conducted by a local Thai Twitter account, and they said that the usual tip is only 300 - 500 baht for a handjob.

This is the current rate for Thai customer massage shops -> non-sex massage shops in non-tourist areas.  

1 hour ago, MaxBKK said:

This is the current rate for Thai customer massage shops -> non-sex massage shops in non-tourist areas.  

exactly - usually from Twitter when a Thai person is quoting prices for the various services it is for Thai-on-Thai and generally NOT for us farangs - as the marketing of Thai services to us farang is usually done in Grindr, Hornet, Heesay, or PlanetRomeo where the price is generally much higher than the Thai-on-Thai price.

Kind of like what us farangs pay to get into a national park versus what a Thai pays to get into that same national park

In my opinion, this is fair - as our incomes tend to be several multiples more than theirs......

1 hour ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

In my opinion, this is fair - as our incomes tend to be several multiples more than theirs......

This question is a bit tricky. I get why they charge foreigners more than locals, but I don't think it should becomes a norm. In a restaurant, it sucks when you realize you're paying double or triple for the same dish just because you're a foreigner. Same goes for other services and goods. But I guess it all depends on how much you value it. Some people even pay thousands in tips for a legit massage.

6 hours ago, spoon said:

Do you pay your food, hotel and other stuff by this same perspective as well? 

Masseurs and hotel rooms differ slightly: only one category includes human beings asked to perform very intimate services for total strangers.

But feel free not to make that distinction.

1 hour ago, kachun214 said:

it sucks when you realize you're paying double or triple for the same dish just because you're a foreigner.

Been coming to Bangkok for 22 years now and have never been charged "double or triple" for same dish.

6 hours ago, reader said:

Masseurs and hotel rooms differ slightly: only one category includes human beings asked to perform very intimate services for total strangers.

But feel free not to make that distinction.

Been coming to Bangkok for 22 years now and have never been charged "double or triple" for same dish.

Nor me, if we are talking about restaurants, or hotels. 

4 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Nor me, if we are talking about restaurants, or hotels. 

neither me, in Foodland before 9 I'm granted the same 10 baht discounted price for American breakfast everybody else does.

But I , for one, am not against being charged  foreigners rate of admission whenever it applies as long as it's similar to one I'd be paying at home  for similar attraction. 

Also like idea of different pricing depending of day or time of day like in Mahanakhon as it helps reducing crowding and related wear and tear. 

Guys objecting of paying foreigner  level of tips have always option of negotiating it down, losing fun but raising blood pressure in the process or travelling to areas where local   have their fun and paying less.  Saphan Kwai is only 20 minutes by BTS from Silom gay ghetto. One should be careful though as In Bangkok moneyed people abound and pricing in some outlets like Jey or Apollo is high even if those are not excatly farang oriented.