zombie

Need to know precise date for Songkran water splashing

Due to my aversion to being doused with water during Songkran (though more intimate water over me is often welcomed) does anyone know the precise dates the water madness starts and finishes in BKK and Pattaya?

I have tried other forums but cannot get a "straight" answer...

Thanks in advance

Getting exact dates for this year's 2024 Songkran festivities has been confusing because the local government extended everything to help the slumping local economy.

Below is what the PCEC (Pattaya City Expats Club) posted in their recent newsletter about the Songkran dates which I used to book my flight to Vietnam to escape the water bazooka mayhem.

PCEC_When_is_Songkran_celebrated_2024.jpg.91c16e9faa33fb642911684b83b53a3b.jpg

https://mailchi.mp/6c8ad0cceeae/your-news-from-pattaya-city-expats-club?e=f32891168a

I'm not interested in Songkran this year but when combing through that Grindr just for fun I noticed that most visitors in BKK are declaring they will be leaving on 16th or 17th , so my guess is the same like reader's above. 

Reliable sources in the know are saying that soi 4 is water dry area in that period 

10 hours ago, zombie said:

does anyone know the precise dates the water madness starts and finishes in BKK and Pattaya

Pattaya will likely start on the 12th and finish late on the 19th, 13 & 14 will be busy, there will be a little lull around 16& 17 before things kick off again on 18th and the main day of the 19th.

If last year is anything to go by water play will not stop at 19.00 and will continue in selected pockets all night long or water/powder fights will break out spontaneously in venues as the night progresses.

I have already seen pics on FB of powder play starting in Jomtien Soi 12 late at night.

Bkk will likely start on the 12th and finish late on the 15th, Songkran lovers will move to Pattaya for a continuation of the fun

4 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Silom soi 4 definitely NO WATER (and VERY packed) but definitely NOT alcohol free.

It was so much better fun there when Balcony bar closed for Songkran and the water play went on without the fun police

7 hours ago, colmx said:

It was so much better fun there when Balcony bar closed for Songkran and the water play went on without the fun police

Well, it certainly was for the staff.  Many of them sub rented the terraces of closed bars (Balcony included).
They made a fortune during the three days.
But it was really no different to the surrounding Silom Road or Twighlight.
I've been the last two years for the water dry soi 4.  It was just as crowded and fun and an oasis (can an oasis be water free?) to get away from the madness for a while.

1 minute ago, 10tazione said:

I am confused now, can someone enlighten me?

1) I thought, water splashing is an invention of the modern times?

2) I thought, 1881 people in Thailand would wear much less clothes?

Ups i see, 1881 is the name of the channel ... so what year was this?

2 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Ups i see, 1881 is the name of the channel ... so what year was this?

One of the few videos which does not show the year it was made in. In the comments they talk about mid 60's but I would guess 50's myself.

Mr Egg, made an interesting video a few years ago. He followed the same path as a few Dutch bikers and had the old footage next to the new footage. 

Not wanting to hijack the thread 🙂

1 hour ago, iendo said:

One of the few videos which does not show the year it was made in. In the comments they talk about mid 60's but I would guess 50's myself.

Judging by the trucks and jeeps, I agree.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:01 AM, colmx said:

Pattaya will likely start on the 12th and finish late on the 19th, 13 & 14 will be busy, there will be a little lull around 16& 17 before things kick off again on 18th and the main day of the 19th.

If last year is anything to go by water play will not stop at 19.00 and will continue in selected pockets all night long or water/powder fights will break out spontaneously in venues as the night progresses.

I have already seen pics on FB of powder play starting in Jomtien Soi 12 late at night.

Bkk will likely start on the 12th and finish late on the 15th, Songkran lovers will move to Pattaya for a continuation of the fun

Water started on the 10th in Jomtien Complex. Insane! Luckily the chalk power didn't.

You are correct, I personally know a number a people who are, or already have came down from Bangkok to continue the insanity. While the 19th will be a blast in Jomtien Complex, I must admit I am looking forward to the 20th! My brother is even coming, but @floridarob wont be here to suck his dick. Oops. 

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

you did not notice that jeep ?   

I don't think there was such a thing as film either in 1881. 😂

But I can surely see myself reacting the same before my first coffee.