Tuesday at 02:00 AM4 days 12 minutes ago, a-447 said:There are also 2 gift giving seasons - oseibo in winter and ochugen in summer. Both coincide with the winter and summer bonus paid to all workers.Yes, Japan definitely has some of the more complicated and dare I say it, burdensome gift obligations! The other custom that I find especially burdensome is the Filipino “pasalubong”. Filipino friends tell me that when they travel for any holiday there is an expectation they will come back festooned with gifts and souvenirs for others, especially colleagues. There seems to be real pressure in workplaces to bring back snacks and gifts, failing to do would be perceived as anti-social and ungrateful. Every single colleague needs to be accounted for. This is why you will see Filipino tourists trawling the aisles at Big C, or buying floral-shaped soaps, keychains, and all sorts of tat by the bundle. @jamiebee has occasionally referred to this in his very good travel reports though perhaps there is less pressure being based outside of the Philippines?
Tuesday at 03:26 AM4 days 1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:That's a good attitude to have when things just can't be under ones control. When you're surrounded by people who will look out for you, you can trust that the "flow" they arrange will probably turn out fine, even if in unexpected ways.There have been situations when, having no choice but to go with the flow, I surprised myself what I could put up with and what I was capable of in circumstances I never imagined. A bit of an ego booster, then.Good to hear you're well and adjusting to a new life!1 hour ago, vinapu said:you must be kidding !Trump, US$2.8billion!
Tuesday at 05:22 AM4 days Popular Post 3 hours ago, hank75 said:Yes, Japan definitely has some of the more complicated and dare I say it, burdensome gift obligations!The other custom that I find especially burdensome is the Filipino “pasalubong”. Filipino friends tell me that when they travel for any holiday there is an expectation they will come back festooned with gifts and souvenirs for others, especially colleagues. There seems to be real pressure in workplaces to bring back snacks and gifts, failing to do would be perceived as anti-social and ungrateful. Every single colleague needs to be accounted for. This is why you will see Filipino tourists trawling the aisles at Big C, or buying floral-shaped soaps, keychains, and all sorts of tat by the bundle. @jamiebee has occasionally referred to this in his very good travel reports though perhaps there is less pressure being based outside of the Philippines?It's the same in Japan - souvenirs for family, neighbours, friends, work colleagues, etc.But the Japanese have a particularly clever way around wasting time overseas looking for gifts.There are companies in Tokyo which stock souvenirs from various overseas tourist destinations, allowing travellers to secretly buy their gifts once they get home.They even stock original wrapping paper from famous stores like Les Galeries Lafayette in Paris!Your friends will never know! 🤣🤣🤣
Tuesday at 05:51 AM4 days 21 hours ago, jimmie50 said:. In a simple matter of fact manner he asked me what I planned to contribute. Took me a little bit by surprise. Guess I truly am a member of the family.And so it begins.... 💸
Tuesday at 08:17 AM4 days Author Popular Post Here are some miscellaneous musings…definitely seeing and experiencing mosquitos. Never noticed them in Thailand very much, even when venturing outside of Bangkok, but they are everywhere here. I am assuming this is partially due to the weather and all of the recent rains and flooding. Have gotten several bites and tried to buy some calamine lotion at the pharmacy. Nothing available, but the pharmacist offered an alternative gel so I bought it. Hopefully it will at least help to reduce the itchiness. Either he is accustomed to it or they don’t bother Cam, but this very fair-skinned Caucasian has definitely become their favorite target. We also purchased some spray.Discovered Angkor Supermarket. They have three locations. There is one not too far from where we are staying. Very similar to Foodland or Tops in Bangkok but massive. Three stories. Since our accommodation does have a kitchen, we purchased a few items to cook instead of always eating out while in Siem Reap. Their meat selection is quite extensive and looks very nice. They even sell pre-packaged kits for cooking that include all of the veggies, meat and spices required. Very convenient. We purchased some minced pork which I cook with Napa or Chinese cabbage (in California we always called it Napa, but here it is labeled as Chinese) and onion. Also purchased a beef stir fry kit and a black chicken. Cam will deal with the chicken. To be honest, I had never seen a black chicken before.Went to the market area this morning. Mostly tourist type stalls, and even saw a handful of tourists milling around. Many locals on the inside where they sell fresh meats, vegetables and fruits, as well as a few food stalls preparing meals. Anything and everything imaginable for sell in this area. Many things I was not familiar with. Again, people were very friendly but no sense of high pressure sales tactics.While out exploring last night and looking for a place to have dinner, we ended up at Khmer Taste. I believe this was mentioned recently in a post by @Department_Of_Agriculture . He mentioned it was recommended to him by folks that said it was very authentic and good. We were not necessarily looking for this specific restaurant but just walked by and decided to try it. There are a number of restaurants on the same street. Most were very quiet, but this particular place and the one directly across the street were very busy…I would estimate at least 50% of capacity. That might not sound like very many people, but when there are only one or two customers in the surrounding places that adds up to a lot. Anyway, I tried the Fish Amok. My first time. It was actually quite good. Cam had stir fried frogs. I couldn’t muster up enough courage to try his dish. It just did not look appealing at all. Two main dishes, Fried Spring Rolls for an appetizer, one bottle of water (me) and a bottle of Angkor beer for Cam…all for $10.25! Cam said the food was very authentic and excellent. He would definitely go back and would recommend it to others. It is very close to Pub Street area.
Tuesday at 08:34 AM3 days Author 9 hours ago, hank75 said:coming from an Asian background we are always calculating cash giftsHaving been in a ten year relationship with my ex who was from Taiwan, I am very familiar with red envelopes and the experience of gifting money to his parents, grandmother, niece, nephew, as well as weddings for family and friends. But then we were gifting as a couple...not separate entities. I need to engage Cam in more conversation about this, as has been suggested, to determine if this is a one off situation annually or there will be more times throughout the year. I also need to ask if the spouses of his brother and his sisters contribute separately or they contribute to the 'family pool' as a couple. I would say at this point his mother probably considers me as the spouse. Father is difficult to get a read on for me, so not sure what he really thinks or believes the situation is. He certainly makes me feel welcome and included. No idea what the siblings really think about the situation. This will be the first official family get together with the entire clan present at one time.
Tuesday at 08:42 AM3 days Well, I hope u won't contribute just to avoid feeling akward. It HAS happened before, that families welcome a falang into their midst mainly because they expect financial reward...
Tuesday at 09:11 AM3 days 44 minutes ago, jimmie50 said:Here are some miscellaneous musings…definitely seeing and experiencing mosquitos. Never noticed them in Thailand very much, even when venturing outside of Bangkok, but they are everywhere here. I am assuming this is partially due to the weather and all of the recent rains and flooding. Have gotten several bites and tried to buy some calamine lotion at the pharmacy. Nothing available, but the pharmacist offered an alternative gel so I bought it. Hopefully it will at least help to reduce the itchiness. Either he is accustomed to it or they don’t bother Cam, but this very fair-skinned Caucasian has definitely become their favorite target. We also purchased some spray.Discovered Angkor Supermarket. They have three locations. There is one not too far from where we are staying. Very similar to Foodland or Tops in Bangkok but massive. Three stories. Since our accommodation does have a kitchen, we purchased a few items to cook instead of always eating out while in Siem Reap. Their meat selection is quite extensive and looks very nice. They even sell pre-packaged kits for cooking that include all of the veggies, meat and spices required. Very convenient. We purchased some minced pork which I cook with Napa or Chinese cabbage (in California we always called it Napa, but here it is labeled as Chinese) and onion. Also purchased a beef stir fry kit and a black chicken. Cam will deal with the chicken. To be honest, I had never seen a black chicken before.Went to the market area this morning. Mostly tourist type stalls, and even saw a handful of tourists milling around. Many locals on the inside where they sell fresh meats, vegetables and fruits, as well as a few food stalls preparing meals. Anything and everything imaginable for sell in this area. Many things I was not familiar with. Again, people were very friendly but no sense of high pressure sales tactics.While out exploring last night and looking for a place to have dinner, we ended up at Khmer Taste. I believe this was mentioned recently in a post by @Department_Of_Agriculture . He mentioned it was recommended to him by folks that said it was very authentic and good. We were not necessarily looking for this specific restaurant but just walked by and decided to try it. There are a number of restaurants on the same street. Most were very quiet, but this particular place and the one directly across the street were very busy…I would estimate at least 50% of capacity. That might not sound like very many people, but when there are only one or two customers in the surrounding places that adds up to a lot. Anyway, I tried the Fish Amok. My first time. It was actually quite good. Cam had stir fried frogs. I couldn’t muster up enough courage to try his dish. It just did not look appealing at all. Two main dishes, Fried Spring Rolls for an appetizer, one bottle of water (me) and a bottle of Angkor beer for Cam…all for $10.25! Cam said the food was very authentic and excellent. He would definitely go back and would recommend it to others. It is very close to Pub Street area.I use the Khmer Grill,other side of river from Pub St, Wat Bo area. Owner Jimmy Chin. Very similar. First time I ate there i queried the bill, as I thought it too little! You could try the fried tree ants! Lots of frog, also. Tastes like chicken!
Tuesday at 09:30 AM3 days Flavor Profile: A savory, slightly spicy stir-fry featuring tender slices of beef tossed with garlic, herbs, chili, and red tree ants. The ants provide a distinct, natural tangy or citrus-like sourness along with a subtle crunch.
Tuesday at 09:30 AM3 days Just now, Keithambrose said:Flavor Profile: A savory, slightly spicy stir-fry featuring tender slices of beef tossed with garlic, herbs, chili, and red tree ants. The ants provide a distinct, natural tangy or citrus-like sourness along with a subtle crunch.I like the subtle crunch!
Tuesday at 10:36 AM3 days "definitely seeing and experiencing mosquitos. Never noticed them in Thailand very much, even when venturing outside of Bangkok, but they are everywhere here."Nice thing about Viroth's Hotel, is that when you go out at dusk, or later, they insist on covering you with insect repellent. Might smell a bit, but I don't mind, as I get bitten quite a lot. The mosquitoes, and midges, or local equivalent, also make sitting on my balcony for a late night drink, rather problematic!
Tuesday at 10:47 AM3 days 1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:Flavor Profile: A savory, slightly spicy stir-fry featuring tender slices of beef tossed with garlic, herbs, chili, and red tree ants. The ants provide a distinct, natural tangy or citrus-like sourness along with a subtle crunch.Frog meat? 🙄🤢I don't think Nigella would approve. Jamie might, just.
Tuesday at 11:05 AM3 days 2 hours ago, jimmie50 said:To be honest, I had never seen a black chicken before.You hadn't? 🤔Just don't go telling folks back home you had fried black chicken in Cambodia - with watermelon and orange soda. The NAACP will be all over you in two seconds!
Tuesday at 12:48 PM3 days Author Just a quick update: Had a nice late afternoon ride out to the temple grounds. It was actually very pleasant. Stopped along the way for some fried bananas. Decided to cook for dinner instead of eating out. Nothing fancy…just used up some leftover rice I had stashed in the refrigerator from yesterday to make fried rice. Used lardons for added flavor, tossed in some veggies, and the obligatory red chilies. Cam will eat those things like candy. I can handle two or three in most dishes, but three is my maximum. Anyway, while we were eating I decided to pursue the conversation about gifting at holidays in general. Basically, I was on a fishing expedition. lol. It would seem there are two holidays where money is given…Pchum Ben and Khmer New Year. For both holidays, they always give to the parents. For Kmer New Year they would also give to grandparents if they were still alive. Cam has one grandmother still living. They also give to young children…under 12. Cam gave 100 Baht to each of his 14 nieces and nephews for New Year. He gave 1000 Baht to his grandmother and 3000 Baht to his parents. His siblings contribute to the fund collectively…as a couple, not as individuals…with the exception of his one sister who is currently separated from her husband. He does not know what their arrangement is. As is sometimes the case between us regarding communication, language can be an issue. That seems to be the case here. His intent was not to ask if I was going to give something to his parents, but was to ask me if I wanted to join him in giving something to his parents. So it would be a gift from both of us to the family pool. His parents actually never know who contributed how much as they all give the oldest sibling (brother) their contributions and he in turn puts it in an envelope and presents it to the parents. So, I will definitely give Cam some money to participate in the gift. Still debating about amount, but may decide to match Cam’s contribution of 8000 Baht. I don’t think I will go over that amount as I don’t want him to feel uncomfortable about it. He obviously wants me to feel included.
Tuesday at 05:08 PM3 days 15 hours ago, hank75 said:Yes, Japan definitely has some of the more complicated and dare I say it, burdensome gift obligations!The other custom that I find especially burdensome is the Filipino “pasalubong”. Filipino friends tell me that when they travel for any holiday there is an expectation they will come back festooned with gifts and souvenirs for others, especially colleagues. There seems to be real pressure in workplaces to bring back snacks and gifts, failing to do would be perceived as anti-social and ungrateful. Every single colleague needs to be accounted for. This is why you will see Filipino tourists trawling the aisles at Big C, or buying floral-shaped soaps, keychains, and all sorts of tat by the bundle. @jamiebee has occasionally referred to this in his very good travel reports though perhaps there is less pressure being based outside of the Philippines?it must be true and big time at that as I recall few Pinoy forum members who disclaimed they need to do day of shopping for all those gifts. Sometimes I thing all luggage charges and restrictions are blessing so we can avoid buying and carrying all that stuff , having good excuse.It's why I find fridge magnet ideal travel gift - cheap , light, taking very littler space and still visible and long lasting,Speaking about soap, I must admit that there's particular brand at 7/11 which I like smell of a lot and always carry home several pieces with me.
Tuesday at 05:10 PM3 days 13 hours ago, Keithambrose said:Trump, US$2.8billion!stop it, I just had lunch , don't want to lose it
Tuesday at 05:15 PM3 days 8 hours ago, jimmie50 said: This will be the first official family get together with the entire clan present at one time.I'm sure you will be feeling welcomed so don't worry much
Tuesday at 05:19 PM3 days 8 hours ago, 12is12 said: It HAS happened before, that families welcome a falang into their midst mainly because they expect financial reward...that by no means is unique to Cambodia , Asia or any other region. If newcomer brings money or status or both he will be welcomed with open arms in Lisbon, Vladivostok and everywhere in between
Tuesday at 05:28 PM3 days 4 hours ago, jimmie50 said: Still debating about amount, but may decide to match Cam’s contribution of 8000 Baht. I don’t think I will go over that amount as I don’t want him to feel uncomfortable about it. He obviously wants me to feel included.wise ideagenerally since you settled there when comes to monetary things, shopping , rides , gifts etc I'd try to follow local practice and prices, even if at times they may sound ridiculously low for you. Reason are two , you will feel included and looked on as ' in the know guy " , second is to avoid jacking prices for locals. so when somebody quotes you 2000 for ride across the town or can of beer, pay it even if you think it's ridiculously low
Tuesday at 05:30 PM3 days 6 hours ago, mauRICE said:The NAACP will be all over you in two seconds!I know what USSR, NATO or DDR was but NAACP ?
Tuesday at 06:38 PM3 days 10 hours ago, jimmie50 said:To be honest, I had never seen a black chicken before.Don't blame yourself. 😜 It's long been banned by American political correctness.
Wednesday at 02:57 AM3 days Author Popular Post More musings…I cannot believe that I have not seen one 7-11 anywhere I have been in Cambodia. What is up with that? In fact, while there might be the occasional Mini-Mart type of establishment, there doesn’t seem to be one main company that is established. They appear to be local establishments…similar to what Cam’s sister and brother-in-law own and operate in Poipet. Many small carts that offer a variety of snacks and treats, but nothing as prolific as in other Asian countries I am familiar with. Even at the airport in Singapore, they have 7-11 everywhere. lol.In case you were wondering, all of Cam’s immediate family stayed safe and avoided any damage during the recent floods. Clear skies, heat and humidity have returned to most of the affected areas and water is gradually receding. His sister in Poipet did not have any flooding in their area so the store was safe. Since they were able to open but unable to restock, some shelves are nearly empty. The tailor shop where his sister works as a seamstress was unaffected as well. Sister with the food cart had a number of days she was unable to work simply because of the weather…same for his brother. Construction was pretty much at a standstill, but his home and family was safe and dry. Parents were safe and sound as well. Too much rain even for the rice fields, so Cam isn’t sure about the farm. His father will go and check in the next few days. Extended family in Battambang did not fare as well and did have to deal with some flooding.I think we may actually sign up for a tour of the temples. Even though Cam has been before, he doesn’t really know much about the history to be able to answer my questions or provide too many details. He actually did a tour himself when he visited. There are any number of tour establishments, so it should not be too much trouble to join a group.
Wednesday at 03:06 AM3 days Author 17 hours ago, Keithambrose said:A savory, slightly spicy stir-fry featuring tender slices of beef tossed with garlic, herbs, chili, and red tree ants. The ants provide a distinct, natural tangy or citrus-like sourness along with a subtle crunch.I believe I have had this experience. lol...unintentionally I might add. My ex would get very annoyed with me when I would ask what something was before I would even try it. He wouldn't answer and just say 'eat it'. As a result, I learned a long time ago when we would visit his family in Taiwan to just try it. I take a bite. If the taste is ok as well as the texture, then I will eat more, enjoy, and don't ask questions. I am probably better off not knowing what it actually is, anyway. Texture is actually more important to me than taste. Anyway, when we were at Cam's parents there were a couple of different beef dishes and one in particular had that subtle crunch you mention. As for the frog, I have heard that it basically tastes like chicken...same for snake. I have not been brave enough to try either just yet. I think Cam told his mother when cooking to keep things simple and not too exotic. However, not sure what the upcoming holiday will bring in the way of food.
Wednesday at 03:15 AM3 days 1 minute ago, jimmie50 said:I believe I have had this experience. lol...unintentionally I might add. My ex would get very annoyed with me when I would ask what something was before I would even try it. He wouldn't answer and just say 'eat it'. As a result, I learned a long time ago when we would visit his family in Taiwan to just try it. I take a bite. If the taste is ok as well as the texture, then I will eat more, enjoy, and don't ask questions. I am probably better off not knowing what it actually is, anyway. Texture is actually more important to me than taste. Anyway, when we were at Cam's parents there were a couple of different beef dishes and one in particular had that subtle crunch you mention. As for the frog, I have heard that it basically tastes like chicken...same for snake. I have not been brave enough to try either just yet. I think Cam told his mother when cooking to keep things simple and not too exotic. However, not sure what the upcoming holiday will bring in the way of food.I did a lot of work in the Far East, and was entertained by clients. As you say, it is best just to eat, so snake, birds nest soup, basically bird saliva, etc. Also fugu fish, which clients watch to see if you will eat it, since, as you may know, if improperly prepared can kill you! I took the view that I didn't think that the clients were about to commit mass seppuku, so I tucked in. At one restaurant, clients asked if I liked sashimi. I said, yes, I'm sure it's fresh, to which clients replied, 'yes, it's still alive'! Which it was, new meaning to 'fish on the bone'.Incidentally, if I may ask, what sort of work will Cam take up. I know he does not want to depend on you.
Wednesday at 03:23 AM3 days NAACP: National Association of Colored People. One of the oldest Civil Rights Organizations in the US. Colored is a archaic term but it was used at the founding of this organization and honors those who took on this never ending fight for racial justice in the US.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.