abidismaili

Why do gay Arabs risk their life in Pattaya?

Gay Arabs have a problem. In their own country there is the death penalty for gay sex.

You can not come out of the closet. That is dangerous too.

So I understand many gay Arabs who can afford it (from the rich oil countries) travel to Pattaya.

But with everyone having smart phones nowadays and making pictures there is the risk someone in your home country sees a picture of you in a gay bar or with a gay boy.

Take this example: a hetero sex tourist from your country is also in Pattaya. He knows you and he sees you walking hand in hand with a Thai gay boy. He takes a picture of you and him and shares it on his Facebook. Oeps..big problem for that gay Arab.

Do gay Arabs want to die or how else to explain it?

I think the Arabs who have m2m sex will not be a serious issue if he assumes the top role. It is the bottom who will be punished. They consider the bottom as the "gay" one. Of course, I could be wrong. Though, I recall getting this conclusion from reading some Arab gay hate crimes.

There is yet another reason why their risk their lives.

Many Arabs are poor, so the ones we see in Pattaya are not from rural Egypt or rural Iraq, but Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait. So they have money.

They risk the following: a Farang from Europe takes pictures of them entering a gay go go bar and then approaches them with the following text: "wire me now 1 million dollars or these pictures of you I will mail to my hetero Dubai friend who will post it on Facebook and some frequently visited sites in your country and your family and friends will see you are gay, only a friend of a friend has to see it and you risk being exposed".

Is this really so unlikely to happen? I wonder how many gay Arabs are being blackmailed. They truly take a risk. A likely risk. I mean walking into a plane is also taking a risk, but a risk that  is 0% (when rounded off) I do not call a real risk. However, the risks these Arabs are taking are real risks. 

Guest cdnmatt

I'm not an Arab, and have never been to the Middle East anywhere, but I'll go under the assumption society operates very much like Thailand, for example, and probably even more so.

Meaning, you're right, the Arabs you see in Pattaya probably have a little money compared to their country men.  And if you have money, you probably don't get beheaded for being gay.  Most likely, only if you're some poor peasant are you subject to harsh punishments such as that.  Those with money probably don't worry so much.

Same goes as no alcohol is allowed, but from the stories I've heard, some of the best and most extravagent parties are thrown in "dry" countries.

Hmmm, just walk up to some young Arab guy and ask if he is a fag?  Not a good idea, I think.

Anyway they risk their lives everyday riding around on their motorbikes so maybe have a death wish.

I wouldn't walk up to anyone, Arab or anyone, and ask, "Pardon me, are you a fag?"  But it's a different story if it's perfectly obvious.  In any case I would never ask in the first place.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less whether they are risking their lives or not.

As for risking their lives riding on their motorbikes, I couldn't care less about that either.  What I do care about is the manner by which they drive, they're risking my life.  If they're going to be killed riding on motorbikes like total idiots, I'd be sorry it happened, but if it is inevitable, at least let it happen before they get as far as wherever I happen to be.  For some strange reason, I never did like being in the line of fire.

Why can't they wear curl-toed shoes and ride around on flying carpets instead?

flyingcarpet_zpshw2lm5eg.jpg

I think they simply realize that  risk is so minimal as almost non-existing and while theoretically possible practically none. 

Probability of exposure is very low and even if does happen as cdnmatt noticed in another thread today other  people would have good incentive  to keep quiet to avoid next question of what they were doing in that den of sin.

It's not only Arab and not only gay problem, hetero farang walking along Patpong night market may be spotted and exposed too,  rising questions what he , married man and father of three , in charge of department at corporation was doing at night there, certainly not shopping for fake watches as souvenirs , right?

Of course world is small and I'm pretty sure most of us have stories of meeting somebody unexpected in least probable place but chance of this happening is so minimal is not worth the trouble worrying. 

Normally laws do not apply extraterritorially. I've once been told that islamic laws on gay sex require a high level of proof (several witnesses,..) - so unless things happened almost in public, very little is likely to happen.

Of course with internet registering everything, things might be more risky today, Another very good reason for imoposing much stricter privacy-rules on internet monopolies like Google, Facebook etc.

The link posted by Michael is well worth reading. 

As for the young Arabs, there are too many of them and I'm not going to worry about their safety.        I am concerned about the effect they may have on civilisation.   You know, the kind of nice civilised people who want to have nothing to do with them. 

Here is a post that I made on another board a few months back.  A worthwhile read if you like this topic.

http://www.boytoy.com/forums/topic/26323-2-years-in-saudi-arabia-or-how-did-i-not-get-beheaded/

Great article worth repeated reading . I'm not surprised you had such an experience , I heard it before at least twice including one from an American as well.

Now imagine how lesser foreign employees are treated there.

I don't want to derail this thread but can't stop this reflection. All you described is well known. Why we never hear cries of American human rights defenders about situation there. Where are American feminists standing for rights of their Saudi sisters? Imagine  American employee   had his departure visa held for weeks in say, Russia. We will hear scream of US media from here all the way to Vladivostok. Too bad it was you who paid price for all that double standard and hypocrisy.

Same goes as no alcohol is allowed, but from the stories I've heard, some of the best and most extravagent parties are thrown in "dry" countries.

Now that is so true...Ive flown Qatar Airways many times and you wouldn't believe the amount of booze that is available free both in business and economy. And from a "dry" country.

Puts our own British Airways and KLM to shame!

P.S. Most things put BA to shame.

There is yet another reason why their risk their lives.

Many Arabs are poor, so the ones we see in Pattaya are not from rural Egypt or rural Iraq, but Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait. So they have money.

They risk the following: a Farang from Europe takes pictures of them entering a gay go go bar and then approaches them with the following text: "wire me now 1 million dollars or these pictures of you I will mail to my hetero Dubai friend who will post it on Facebook and some frequently visited sites in your country and your family and friends will see you are gay, only a friend of a friend has to see it and you risk being exposed".

Is this really so unlikely to happen? I wonder how many gay Arabs are being blackmailed. They truly take a risk. A likely risk. I mean walking into a plane is also taking a risk, but a risk that  is 0% (when rounded off) I do not call a real risk. However, the risks these Arabs are taking are real risks.

Very unlikely.  Unless you a potential blackmailer were to know the person he was photographing.

I'm wondering if you actually mean to say what you've written below.  Too much of a particular race of people?????

The link posted by Michael is well worth reading. 

As for the young Arabs, there are too many of them and I'm not going to worry about their safety.        I am concerned about the effect they may have on civilisation.   You know, the kind of nice civilised people who want to have nothing to do with them. 

^ and also if you honestly believed the guy had a million of disposable income that he could afford to lose to blackmail I think i would definitely think twice about trying to blackmail him at all as if he'd THAT sort of money and was in Thailand i'm sure you wouldn't be walking about to long to either spend his money or send pics anywhere ! 

* ps it goes without saying the whole blackmailing thing is a disgusting idea anyway, but I'm sure we're all taking that in the wide exaggeration that it was intended - if not - read the above and think twice about it before sending any dodgy text messages to random arabs perhaps lol

Gay sex is forbidden and will be prosecuted.

Here is a post that I made on another board a few months back. A worthwhile read if you like this topic.

http://www.boytoy.com/forums/topic/26323-2-years-in-saudi-arabia-or-how-did-i-not-get-beheaded/

Very interesting read. I did know much what you write about, but I didn't know they treat Westerners also like that. I knew cleaning ladies from Philippines are treated horribly in Saudi Arabia. But even Americans are. That was an eye opener.

You said you were able to visit Mecca. But I thought non-Muslims can't visit that place. You pretended to be Muslim?

You also said police can't act when someone is Saudi, so they didn't interrupt that gang fight. But can you then see from the outside wether someone is Saudi?

Also are all Saudi nationals rich? Or you have many poor and middle class Saudis? I get the idea from your post all real work is done by foreigners. So all Saudis get a descent income from the government?

Why did you risk gay sex in that country? How did you and that Venezualian got to know about each other you were both gay? One must have been the first to tell. He took a big risk. What if the other guy wasn't gay and decided to tell at work you told him you were gay? Why you take such irresponsible risks? Others who do are put in jail. Why taking that risk? Would you have complained if you were caught and beheaded? Or would you have thought: "I did a very risky thing, it is only fair I get beheaded now. It is fair towards all those people who are smart enough not to take that risks in that country. Why should I get to enjoy gay sex there while many others who also would love to have it are justifiably afraid to take the risk so don't, or when they took it are dead now. Isn't it unfair towards them I could enjoy it and didn't face consequences? Why should I get away with it. I deserve what is happening to me. I was immensely stupid. I knew the risk, yet I took it. So I must not complain I am being beheaded now".

Would these thoughts have crossed your mind during your execution?

I wouldn't walk up to anyone, Arab or anyone, and ask, "Pardon me, are you a fag?"  But it's a different story if it's perfectly obvious.  In any case I would never ask in the first place.  Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less whether they are risking their lives or not.

"If I wanted an answer to that question, you know what I would do?  I would ask a gay Arab". Gaybutton

I know a few individuals in my country (Muslim), who are side long-term boyfriends for Saudi foreigners who are here on business for several months at a time. The hotel suites/apartments are paid for meanwhile when the Saudi hosts are out of the country for the rest of the year. That is until that stop being the current boyfriend. 

Guest abang1961

Gays have always been discriminated regardless of race and religion.

As fellow forummers would have known by now that I am a potato queen but I do find there are many handsome Arabs (in various parts of the world).

I have personally know of this Arab.  He visits Singapore every now and then.  He ventures into homosexual acts although he has a wife back home.  You may call him a closet gay but to me, he is (just unfortunately) born of the wrong race and wrong time.