numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

Gross about carpeting. I'm going to always wear something on my feet next time I'm at tarntawan.

Yes it is very gross but it is the last thing on my mind when I check in. Always either so tired or with a boy. And the Crowne Plaza carpets look very pristine. Doesn't mean they're not gross, but still, probably better than most other hotels in the area.

you truly have problems, flying this trip , first delay at  at home and now  nerve wracking BKK lines but you made it

I am usually very zen and relaxed when I fly but this trip for some reason I was on edge every time I flew. I do hope I've used up all my travel bad luck on this trip. My December trip better be a uneventful one.

Can't believe you would ever put your laptop in checked luggage. No cameras , laptops phones etc ever in checked luggage. First theft is definitely a problem all over the world and 2nd these items are not covered even if your luggage is just lost. Personal experience with a camera.

Thanks for the tip. I just don't think about it when I put my work laptop in my check-in. If I bring my personal one I always put it in my carry-on because it is ultra light, but work laptops I just toss them in my checked bag. Never had problems with theft but doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. I've had three iPads in a checked bag once, I was lucky it didn't get stolen then. I'll be careful next time.

I pass on this as well , medical insurance yes , but cancellation etc , no , I rather take a chance.

Waiting for a next installment for numazu's report impatiently 

It is worth while checking if your credit card provides travel insurance as an added benefit.  Or else get an annual policy.  The annual ones are not expensive at all.  From the UK you can get ones that cover you for losses, delays and medical (15million GBP) for around 20 pounds.

I have an annual one for medical, losses, delays, natural disasters, ..., not cheap as it's around 280 Euro, but if something happens it could come very useful.

Had family and friends who needed to use their insurance and saved thousands thanks to it. That's when I decided to take it on.

i arrive in bangkok for 30 days.. the only plan is the first hotel for 3 days(trinity in silom $26)... I don't know how to plan that well, and jugel the boys that I have "promised" to spend time with.

I have never done travel insurance.... now I think I should if only for the medical. I have often wondered if the stuff was any good and would work outside of europe........?

enjoying the thread thank you

Can't believe you would ever put your laptop in checked luggage. No cameras , laptops phones etc ever in checked luggage. First theft is definitely a problem all over the world and 2nd these items are not covered even if your luggage is just lost. Personal experience with a camera.

look at bright side , if those are stolen than there's excuse to buy new hi-tech toy

Interested to read numazu's report about the time taken to clear immigration etc at the airport - I had similar experience when I returned home from Thailand in May - seems that it's necessary to factor in some extra time for international departures - always interesting to decide which immigration line to join - even my most considered selections have usually been the wrong ones!!!

ps really like the addition of the photos in the report

Just read the latest report - "you want?" - to be continued!!!! - I'm guessing you didn't say no :)

Obviously they assume that only rich people will apply as well as those who are going abroad to work and recoup such extortionate fee soon enough.

Certainly one feel sorry for a boys who need to fork out such a sum and we can only hope there's enough admirers helping them to an expense.

Yes, Cambodian passports are very expensive, especially considering that Thai passports are so much cheaper. And that's not it, you also have to pay more if you want to get it within a reasonable time. Also, getting replacements for lost documents (e.g. a certificate of birth) is much more troublesome - and ultimately much costlier - than again in Thailand.

I had my doubts about such claims a couple of times myself, but I could verify all of them. Cambodia's public service sucks big time!

I will answer my own question which amazes me.  How can they charge their citizens this much even if it is biometric?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_passport

$100 then ?     I suppose if his existing one has some mismatch of stamps, the extra $50 to smooth things over will not be a bad thing.

Several years back, I was told it was $220 by someone who had recently got one.   Probably exaggeration.

I do believe that your descriptive style of conveying in words what happened in the moment is very special.  The photos enhance the telling.  I have one more day from my trip to post - hopefully tomorrow.  Really glad to know that you have several more days to describe.  Thanks

Another good article, thanks.  

As for the building, well if I'm not mistaken, the population of Cambodia has approximately quadrupled in the last 40 years, so that combined with economic growth from near zero, some kind of building boom has been inevitable.