numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

I love your one liners - did you take creative writing course?

That line's been around - attributed to different people in different forms - for decades. Most recent I'd heard was in John Lennon's song in 1980.

Numazu does have a flair for spinning a tale, though. Your "creative writing" guess may be closer to the truth than you think.

I'm enjoying the pictures - thanks!

I am also interested in knowing the going rates for tipping the boys in PP.

I assume the currency is in USD and it seems comparable to Thailand.

From Numazu's post,

$3 dollar = 100 Baht (normal tip)

$40 dollar = 1400 Baht (Short time off fee similar to pattaya)

Is it that nobody gives tip in VND?

Guest abang1961

If a taxi ride from the airport to city centre of Ho Chi Minh is about VND 200.000 (slightly around USD 10)..go figure whether you want to give your guys in VND..how many zeros are there?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Are the boys in Cambodia getting smaller tips from you compared to their counterparts in Thailand?

Any reason for this perception?

People have to consider adjusting tips according to the country they are in.

What you get in Thailand for 1-1500 baht cannot be had in Europe for that, so we pay a lot more. Likewise, regular pay in Cambodia is a lot less than in Thailand, so it should not be assumed the going rate is the same.

However my tips in Cambodia have been close to what I have paid in Thailand.

And thanks for the trip report. These reports have it all, good writing, night time city shots & boy pics.

I am also interested in knowing the going rates for tipping the boys in PP.

I assume the currency is in USD and it seems comparable to Thailand.

From Numazu's post,

Oops ... it should be KHR currency, not VND :).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Are the boys in Cambodia getting smaller tips from you compared to their counterparts in Thailand?

Any reason for this perception?

From ct2005 below, I tried to at least match what I usually pay in Thailand. A boy sitting with me in a gogo bar or beer bar will get at least 100 baht. And I usually pay 1500 baht for short time in Pattaya. CB has told me that tips are usually lower in Cambodia than in Thailand, that is why the Khmer boys go to Thailand, that and there are more customers.

Oops ... it should be KHR currency, not VND :).

Cambodia is a dual currency economy so shops take both U.S. dollars or Cambodian Riels. ATMs also usually give out US dollars. And 1 dollar is easier to give out than a bunch of Riels. CB told me to take a lot of 1 and 5 dollar bills to pay for food, drinks and boys. Its difficult to take 100 one dollar bills than 1 100 dollar bill, but I managed to take 50 one dollar bills and a bunch of 5's, so I freely gave them as tips.

People have to consider adjusting tips according to the country they are in.

What you get in Thailand for 1-1500 baht cannot be had in Europe for that, so we pay a lot more. Likewise, regular pay in Cambodia is a lot less than in Thailand, so it should not be assumed the going rate is the same.

However my tips in Cambodia have been close to what I have paid in Thailand.

And thanks for the trip report. These reports have it all, good writing, night time city shots & boy pics.

Thanks z909 for the great compliments. I take a ton of photos when on travel so it is easy for me to share them here. I hope that other trip reports also have photos, but appreciate any reports that appear here because i think a lot of us are curious on how others experience the countries we go to.

I feel that there are less established tip amounts in Cambodia than in Thailand, where Bangkok and Pattaya tips generally fall into known ranges and widely known here in the forums. Like I said earlier, CB said that tips in Cambodia usually are less than in Bangkok and Pattaya, but like you, I tipped close to what I do in Thailand, at least in Pattaya.

Be generous guys.

Make your new companion in Vietnam an instant millionaire.

I want to go to Vietnam next, as well as Laos. Myanmar is already scheduled for December. I think I need to find a Viet or Lao boy to fall in love with and they can be a personal tour guide like CB was for me for Cambodia, and what BurBoy will be for Myanmar in December.

I have been addicted to your storytelling since your last trip report in July. I have one question though - and I not questioning about your ability to perform - but sometimes you regaled us about engaging with 2-3 partners a day, how do you find the stamina and libido to keep up with those young friends? Do you use the pill? I'm about your age and admittedly my libido level isn't the same as when I was in 20s anymore.

Grindr is so far behind . Hornet and Jack'd you can search anywhere you want regardless of where you are.

Correct. 

However, as an analogy, my local pub has more features & functionality than the typical gogo bar.  It just lacks the available boys.

It can be the same with the apps.......   In some parts of the world Grindr is very popular and has a much higher density of users than some of the others.  So I'm forced to use it, simply because of the "network effect". 

I don't bother with it in Pattaya though.

Space Hair boys from your picture are amazing    , particularly one in the white shorts

Space Hair boys amazing and as  Vinapu often reminds us, some may prefer the white shorts, some (me) may prefer the red shorts.  For the record (mine) red and white have the best smiles.

As always,  great and enthralling report, even with less sex and even some very serious topic.

Day 3.0: Baguettes with a side of genocide

... go to the Killing Fields. He is acutely aware of the draw of this site, its impact it has on his people, and the importance of the message it sends to everyone who dares to visit.

I have to admit when I was in PP many years ago I couldn't muster the courage to visit the Killing Fields - but that was only after visiting the possibly even more gruesome Toul Sleng Prison in PP itself. It is where many (most?) people where first held and tortured before eventually being sent off to the killings fields (if they hadn't died in the prison itself. The prison had pictures of victims as well as, well perpetrators, and some of the instruments used for torture, showed the ways people were held in the cells. etc etc. It didn't have an audio guide then (maybe it does now), but it made for an extremely chilling experience, and the imagination of the unspeakable agony suffered by the victims there for no reason whatsoever left me so emotionally drained that I was unable to take the next step to visit the Killing Fields. Though not having visited the latter, based on numazu's report and the admittedly few pictures I have a feeling that the Toul Sleng Prison is actually a more intense and depressing experience than the more famous Killing Fields. I would recommend that to anyone interested in this important part of Cambodian history. 

As for the villains, as numazu puts it, they too, may have gone through their own agonies.  The whole Khmer Rouge era has not been discussed in Cambodia for a very long time, and to the outsider it may seem odd that they don't want to come to grips with their ugly past. But after seeing an excellent Cambodian film dealing with the subject I can understand why. The story, or rather peoples' roles in it, are way more complex than just putting people in the two convenient boxes of the "good guys (the victims) and the "bad guys" (those who did  the torturing and killing). The film I saw was named "The Last Reel" and screened at the Luang Prabang international film festival in December 2015. Unfortunately, I have no idea where one could get a chance to see that film now. A quick youtube search didn't turn anything up other than the trailer, but maybe it is hidden somewhere....

For anyone interested, I can highly recommend that annual film festival for SE-Asian films in Luang Prabang. For info see www.lpfilmfest.org.Of course, not only such serious stuff there at the festival, much fun can be had as well!

Apologies for the lengthy off-topic but the intense memories were brought back by numazu's story and I felt compelled to add to it. 

Now back to the fun, and big thanks to numazu to again taking the time to write another outstanding report.

P.S.

Space Hair calendar and boys are outstanding, too!

I have been addicted to your storytelling since your last trip report in July. I have one question though - and I not questioning about your ability to perform - but sometimes you regaled us about engaging with 2-3 partners a day, how do you find the stamina and libido to keep up with those young friends? Do you use the pill? I'm about your age and admittedly my libido level isn't the same as when I was in 20s anymore.

Good question! I've always had a healthy libido which accounts for me and my BF's difference in sexual needs. 3 partners a day is fairly rare but it happens and normally anal only happens once, but I can easily cum 3 times a day. I don't use the pill because those boys are hot enough to stimulate anyone without aid lol. Seriously tho, I think sleep is better than the pill (at least for me) to regenerate my sexual drive and enables me to have multiple partners a day. When in Thailand, I love me a disco nap, which allows me to have the energy to be on the prowl at night and get my freak on.

With that said, BurBoy who is only 22, exceeds me in sex drive. I can hardly keep up and it seems like he is always hard. Which is not a bad thing per se.

It can be the same with the apps.......   In some parts of the world Grindr is very popular and has a much higher density of users than some of the others.  So I'm forced to use it, simply because of the "network effect". 

I don't bother with it in Pattaya though.

Here at home Grindr is enough to be able to meet guys on a regular basis, and I don't have a reason to check any other app. I've had good luck on PlanetRomeo, but usually Grindr has been good enough.

Space Hair boys from your picture are amazing    , particularly one in the white shorts

Space Hair boys amazing and as  Vinapu often reminds us, some may prefer the white shorts, some (me) may prefer the red shorts.  For the record (mine) red and white have the best smiles.

Space Hair calendar and boys are outstanding, too!

Yes, these boys are awesome, and a lot more approachable I feel, than the same quality boys in Thailand. The one in the white is a sweetheart, and those pecs and abs are rock hard, as I have felt them up a few times :).

Though not having visited the latter, based on numazu's report and the admittedly few pictures I have a feeling that the Toul Sleng Prison is actually a more intense and depressing experience than the more famous Killing Fields. I would recommend that to anyone interested in this important part of Cambodian history. 

Thanks for sharing anddy. I did not have time to check out Toul Sleng prison as I ran out of time. Looks like I missed more of the story but I am glad that you made me aware of it. Definitely something to check out on a future PP trip. 

Thanks for all the great complements so far guys. Positive feedback fuels my desire to write more. I can't believe I was able to stretch one day in five posts. But I did do a lot this trip. I'm glad you guys are patient with me :).