numazu

Bangkok/Phnom Penh/Siem Reap Trip Report: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Trip Report with less sex?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should I do a trip report for Cambodia and Thailand that has less sex?

This trip is not as slutty as previous trips, but I understand from some of you that have wrote to me that even at my slowest sex days, it still seems a lot to some of you. I should slow down!

don't even try, enjoy what you like and utilize every opportunity. Slowing down time will come in due course   and hopefully not any time soon 

I was seeing the country in the filter of what my Khmer buddies wanted me to see. 

And today, my goal was to see three boys in Bangkok, before the day was done.

that's always disadvantage of  sightseeing with locals wherever it may be , good that you pointed it out .

Even with most excellent guides you are bound to wear their glasses so to speak.

And I'm sure that if somebody asked us to give them a tour of Bangkok, we 'd find  a way of showing them Patpong, Silom and Suriwong even if  they were our grandparents or their friends.

And as always , Master of Suspense is at work ! 

mixed with the diesel fumes of the motorbikes that drove by.

He says Siem Reap is closer to Siem Reap, so his fare is about $5 by bus.

And today, my goal was to see three boys in Bangkok, before the day was done.

there is no such thing as "diesel fumes" from motorbikes, motorbikes with diesel engines do not exist. They either run on regular petrol (4-stroke engine) or a mix of petrol and oil (2-stroke engine). The latter are much louder than the 4-strokes, and emit smelly fumes. Luckily, they are few and far between these days, as most motorbikes in the region are modern japanese 4 stroke models. 

SR closer to SR - I would think so LOL!  :p

ok enough, smart-ass mode OFF! ;)

ambitious goal, yet again! Gotta admire your drive!

Feeling sad about the departure from Cambodia as well, but looking forward to new stories with DTG :)

there is no such thing as "diesel fumes" from motorbikes, motorbikes with diesel engines do not exist. 

There are diesel powered motorbikes around, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_motorcycle, however they are not common. 

I'm looking forward to read about exploits in Bangkok with DTG.

And 3 boys before the day was done? If not platonic, but gymnastics, I wouldn't manage.

There are diesel powered motorbikes around, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_motorcycle, however they are not common. 

And 3 boys before the day was done? If not platonic, but gymnastics, I wouldn't manage.

interesting, thanks for the correction. I just concluded from their complete absence from any public streets that they don't exist and didn't bother googling diesel bikes coz it doesn't make much sense as the article  confirms. Nevertheless I have to correct myself and say they surely don't exist on the streets of Siem Reap or Bangkok or any other place in the region ;)

I agree on "wouldn't manage" 3 boys haha

Yes, Vinapu has it correct....my sleep was delayed because of this new post. Numazu is mean at not letting us sleep our regular hours! ...on the other hand it gives us opportunity to get accustomed to not sleeping when in Thailand or Cambodia !! So, keep posting Numazu! Your posts are really enthralling

that sounds very expensive, or rather sounds like buying a brand new one. Why not buy a decent 2nd hand one? I bought mine for only 24k Baht or roughly $700, 3 years old with 15k km (about 10k miles) on it. Been driving it for a year with no problems whatsoever. That way he could get started much sooner. Buying brand new is a waste of money IMO.

Regarding the motorbike, much like a fancy mobile phone among many young people around here, it also serves as a status symbol. You've said he and his family used to be very poor, so being able to buy a brand spanking new motorbike instead of some rusty secondhand hovel will be seen as quite an accomplishment.

So while I personally also feel tempted to say it would be wiser to buy a $700 moto and save the remaining money in the bank, I realize that it's unlikely to happen.

That's not at all limited to moneyboys, by the way. Among my Thai colleagues whose salary is significantly lower than mine, it's very common to buy the latest gadgets or cars they cannot really afford, without much of a thought given to the monthly payments that keep piling up. I probably have the cheapest phone among my colleagues and use it twice as long as anyone else before buying the next one.

and not limited to Thais either. In our countries we have many people who are buying stuff they don't need for a money they don't have to impress people they don't even like.

I have confirmed that CB wants a new motorbike. He said that used ones are "no good" and there is a specific color and model he wants to buy. I guess it is a status symbol for him as well. I remember being affected by status symbols in my 20s. Not so much now in my 30s, though love buying the occasional nice kicks once in a while.

there is no such thing as "diesel fumes" from motorbikes, motorbikes with diesel engines do not exist. They either run on regular petrol (4-stroke engine) or a mix of petrol and oil (2-stroke engine). The latter are much louder than the 4-strokes, and emit smelly fumes. Luckily, they are few and far between these days, as most motorbikes in the region are modern japanese 4 stroke models. 

SR closer to SR - I would think so LOL!   :p

ok enough, smart-ass mode OFF!  ;)

Haha thanks anddy for catching those. I don't have an editor and hardly re-read these to catch errors so allow me a few mistakes once in a while :).

interesting, thanks for the correction. I just concluded from their complete absence from any public streets that they don't exist and didn't bother googling diesel bikes coz it doesn't make much sense as the article  confirms. Nevertheless I have to correct myself and say they surely don't exist on the streets of Siem Reap or Bangkok or any other place in the region  ;)

I am no gear head, so I will defer to those of you know these things to talk about this. I could have just said "exhaust fumes" :)

that's always disadvantage of  sightseeing with locals wherever it may be , good that you pointed it out .

Even with most excellent guides you are bound to wear their glasses so to speak.

And I'm sure that if somebody asked us to give them a tour of Bangkok, we 'd find  a way of showing them Patpong, Silom and Suriwong even if  they were our grandparents or their friends.

I love seeing a country through a local's eyes because I always discover things that run-of-the-mill tourist guides usually don't show tourists. But also love traveling along and discovering things for myself. So a healthy combination of both is usually nice. I had constant company this trip so I need some balance next time.

I am becoming addicted to your daily reports Numazu  :)

You are so mean :give_rose:  , I was about to shut computer down and go to the bed when your newest post appeared, thank you 

Yes, Vinapu has it correct....my sleep was delayed because of this new post. Numazu is mean at not letting us sleep our regular hours! ...on the other hand it gives us opportunity to get accustomed to not sleeping when in Thailand or Cambodia !! So, keep posting Numazu! Your posts are really enthralling

looking at bright side, in about 11 hrs next installment should appear / no pressure numazu , LOL /

One can be only envious hearing about such a fabulous and fun filled vacations you made for yourself

Thanks guys. The pressure is mounting! Unfortunately its constantly BurBoy posts from this point. Maybe its still interesting, I am not sure. So far it looks like you guys still like it. I like writing all this for myself, and love that you guys like it as well. I am eager to finish though so I can move on to planning my new trip :).

I like your attitude

Me too hahaha. 

I have confirmed that CB wants a new motorbike. He said that used ones are "no good" and there is a specific color and model he wants to buy. I guess it is a status symbol for him as well. I remember being affected by status symbols in my 20s.

After I read about CB's $2,000 motorbike, I asked 2 Tawan boys about theirs. One boy recently bought at 200,000 Baht - 5,000 monthly payment 3 year loan. I don't know what sort of loan company gives a credit to a bar boy. I cannot believe they can get a loan in western countries. Now he says "no money" because of the monthly commitment. Another boy has Kawasaki and at the price of 285,000 Baht. They are not stars at Tawan.

The 200,000 price makes me think it is a motorcycle rather then motorbike  because $6000 seems a lot for those scooters .

Also all the dealers are happy to sell to Bar Boys if they have an adequate down payment. 1 missed payment and they take the bike back and boy loses his down payment.

Talk about scams!!!