numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

I hope all the do-gooders have had their say, so that we can finally get back to numazu's exciting report.

If I had any criticism of the kind voiced here above, I would send him a PM. In other words, this could have been handled discreetly with the same result (blurred faces).

Finally, anyone who is familiar with the final Andy Hall ruling and similar cases knows that Thailand's criminal defamation laws cannot be applied to (1) content published outside Thailand (2) by someone who is located outside Thailand, the sole exception being lèse majesté. Referring to Thailand's criminal defamation laws with regards to numazu's comments in this thread is plain silly. It's also worth remembering that these laws serve to protect the rich and powerful; I dare anyone who thinks otherwise to cite a ruling of the kind insinuated here, a run of the mill prostitute having someone prosecuted for calling them a prostitute.

Agreed.  But it would be good if we could all bear in mind thinking twice before posting photos.  A good strategy would be to ask yourself if you would post it if your own face were clearly shown.

... Poor choice of words on my part, and understandable outrage from some of you, but I made a choice: either I change the photos by quickly blurring their faces, or change the text to say they were actual prostitutes. The former obviously is better for the boys, and I did not have to change the writing drastically under the one-hour maximum edit post time, and I guess I can sleep at night.

----

----

The moral of the story for me here is to just not post photos of these gogo boys. I'll just let the others do it, as they seem to be able to do it with no problems on this board.

(my coloring of your text)

I don't see how someone should be sincerely outraged over your excellent posts.  And now fault finding and criticizing by a few makes you reluctant to include what you think is worth seeing in your posts?  Is it worth caring for such negative critics?

Guest RickSJ

Everyone please calms down. Don't turn this into the bickering like the Taipei thread.

Let namazu continue regaling his story.

Agreed.  But it would be good if we could all bear in mind thinking twice before posting photos.  A good strategy would be to ask yourself if you would post it if your own face were clearly shown.

If you think twice you could identify a big difference between our pictures and those of the gogo boys.  Gogo boys are already in the public eye.  We are not.  We have some privacy to protect, which we choose to do for very good reasons.  Gogo boys give up their privacy for very good reasons too, which is to have a good source of income.

Namazu i have spoken up on this board in the past about someone who was posting pictures of gogoboys (although both are now former gogoboys)...neither of us made an issue about it, just had an exchange of views.  After which the poster kindly took the pics down.

So I don't think your being singled out.

If you think twice you could identify a big difference between our pictures and those of the gogo boys.  Gogo boys are already in the public eye.  We are not.  We have some privacy to protect, which we choose to do for very good reasons.  Gogo boys give up their privacy for very good reasons too, which is to have a good source of income.

when one calls boy over to his room , then is protecting his and boy's  privacy.

When both parade on the street on the way from bar to room only naive may not realize that whole street knows what is going on.

In the bar both boys and their clients are  sheltered from public eye by the door / curtain but still both sides are giving away their privacy to  an extend.

In my last year's  trip reports I could have posted two pictures, one tittled '  this guy shopping here on Silom I saw  last night in Freshboys ", another one even better ' guy lining up in Pattaya bus station counter is the same I saw last night at Nice Boys with naked  boy on his lap'.

So our whole privacy thing is more matter of luck  of nobody seeing us than careful arrangement.

Well... we can look at it like an intermission to give numazu more time to compose his next interesting posts :)

He does not owe us anything and we were lucky to receive such posts. Now the readers are making demands....

I think we may have fouled the well, so to speak...

He does not owe us anything and we were lucky to receive such posts. Now the readers are making demands....

I think we may have fouled the well, so to speak...

I don't think anyone is making demands nor is anyone criticising the OP.  The only thing that's being suggested is that we try to afford guys the same privacy we would like to enjoy.  If the guys themselves want to put a profile out there with their face pic outing themselves as go go boys so be it.  But it isn't really fair for us to do it to them.

It would be a pity if the OP were go to ground as a result of people asking him to think about working guy's privacy.

when one calls boy over to his room , then is protecting his and boy's  privacy.

When both parade on the street on the way from bar to room only naive may not realize that whole street knows what is going on.

In the bar both boys and their clients are  sheltered from public eye by the door / curtain but still both sides are giving away their privacy to  an extend.

In my last year's  trip reports I could have posted two pictures, one tittled '  this guy shopping here on Silom I saw  last night in Freshboys ", another one even better ' guy lining up in Pattaya bus station counter is the same I saw last night at Nice Boys with naked  boy on his lap'.

So our whole privacy thing is more matter of luck  of nobody seeing us than careful arrangement.

Someone catching a glimpse of people on the street and deducing their profession is one thing. 

A third party putting a photo on the internet outing someone as a gogo is has far more reach.

Numazu, where you are? Busy weekend or you just got upset over photo controversy? Don't be ,remember what Indiana Jones' father told him in the "Last Crusade" - Indiana , just let it go

Follow vinapu's advice and you benefit from online forums by developing a thick skin.

God almighty people!

The reports are great.  Someone suggested that maybe it wasn't cool to post face pics of someone outing them as a gogo. 

That's all. I have no doubt that no harm was intended. 

But there is a bit of a lesson for us all here.  Most of us wouldn't post a clear photo showing ourselves surrounded by money boys and describing it as such.  The same principle should surely apply to photos of other people, unless they specifically said it was ok to do so.

I do agree a private message would probably have been the smartest way of handling this.

It would be a shame if the OP were to stay away as a result of some criticism.  There is no reason to do so. 

Please, please, please let's afford the people we come across in Thailand with the respect and dignity we might like to receive ourselves.

And a little tact and restraint dealing with each other on here might be nice too.