numazu

Bangkok/Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay Trip Report: Playing With Fire

ah yes that smile that would melt a heart of steel in an instant....

.... the fear bidding our inevitable farewell that we had to endure as two people who were inhabitants of two totally different worlds, meeting in a sort of third “intermediate” world that Thailand was, where it was easy to think that the two weeks I just had was real. It wasn’t, it never is real. The only real thing about the past two weeks is the feeling of the heartache that follows.

...sitting one of the airport lounge chairs that were close to the Airport Rail Link entrance, holding hands and saying nothing.

It’s funny, I remember everything about our last day, but I don’t remember saying goodbye.

I see how it seems unreal, especially after being back in that other, seemingly more real, world. However, I suspect these things are much more real to the local half of the equation than they seem to you. Even though you are from two different worlds, meeting in that strange bubble-like intermediate world, that intermediate world is so much closer to the real world of the local boy, that it may actually be indistinguishable. So everything that happened in that bubble-time remains as real with the boy. I have a feeling, though, that this time this stays with your as more real than any of the preceding LOS exploits, too

Yes those moments, when a million things chase each other through your mind, wanting to be said, but nothing actually can or will be said (especially an unnecessary goodbye). Everything has been said and holding those hands is all that is needed and wanted. 

Looking forward to the report about great sightseeing and emotional adventures. This first installment is enthralling numazu writing at it's very finest.

as if to give me enough affection to last me the long 3 months ahead before seeing me again.

. And the tears come again. Tears don’t come easy for me, and yet here they were, 

it looks we will get quite a story here  and can only hope that sharing it with us will shorten that waiting time

Nothing wrong with good bye tears, they are much , much better than sigh of relief that it's finally over.  

Since BurBoy cannot fly back with me to Bangkok because he did not have a passport, he has to take the bus from Bagan to Bangkok to make the White Party with me. That gives me a night of alone time in Mandalay, to possibly butterfly and get a massage if it was possible.

Hi numazu, 

great report as usual. Looking forward to the touristy, juicy, sweaty and teary parts.

BurBoy doesn't have a passport so he has to take the bus? How does that work? Crossing the border in a bus doesn't require a passport? 

BurBoy doesn't have a passport so he has to take the bus? How does that work? Crossing the border in a bus doesn't require a passport? 

Depends on the bus! There are several ways of crossing the border without a passport, which is why there are several million Myanmar citizens in Thailand. One is to go to an official crossing point, obtain a day pass and then 'forget' to go back. Danger with this is there are lots of Police Checkpoints on the Thai side near these crossings. Another is to cross the border where there is no official crossing point. The north of Thailand has ten or more places where people regularly cross (or should that be irregularly?). It's no big deal. There's a pretty regular 'bus' service through one of these, between  xxx, Thailand and Ho Mein, Shan State.

I'm not familiar with the crossing points in the west but I'm sure there are at least as many.

Excellent - begin and the end and then fast backward to the beginning.  

Wasn't sure if this was going to work, starting on Day 16. I thought I'd share about how BurBoy and I met since I got asked about that a lot from forum members I met last trip. Good stories provide context, so this is my attempt at context.

ah yes that smile that would melt a heart of steel in an instant....

I see how it seems unreal, especially after being back in that other, seemingly more real, world. However, I suspect these things are much more real to the local half of the equation than they seem to you. Even though you are from two different worlds, meeting in that strange bubble-like intermediate world, that intermediate world is so much closer to the real world of the local boy, that it may actually be indistinguishable. So everything that happened in that bubble-time remains as real with the boy. I have a feeling, though, that this time this stays with your as more real than any of the preceding LOS exploits, too

Yes those moments, when a million things chase each other through your mind, wanting to be said, but nothing actually can or will be said (especially an unnecessary goodbye). Everything has been said and holding those hands is all that is needed and wanted. 

Looking forward to the report about great sightseeing and emotional adventures. This first installment is enthralling numazu writing at it's very finest.

Thanks anddy. I agree that it may be more real for him (as he reminds me everyday as we Line and video chat) than to me, but you are right that it is real somehow to me as well. The Bangkok we inhabited is still an intermediate world to both of us, since I don't live there, and he lives away from Silom and does not hang out there at all outside of our relationship. He did just leave Fake Club just now so he does at least have fun there. 

So glad we got to hang out with you last trip. That smile is something else, isn't it? 

it looks we will get quite a story here  and can only hope that sharing it with us will shorten that waiting time

Nothing wrong with good bye tears, they are much , much better than sigh of relief that it's finally over.  

I think by the time I am done with this report (I am so wordy), it is about time to start the new one.

Sounds exciting, I'm looking forward to your reports! I don't believe for one second that there won't be plenty of "action" worth reporting. ;)

I always say there won't be much action to report so there won't be expectations, but yes there are some to report don't worry :).

Hi numazu, 

great report as usual. Looking forward to the touristy, juicy, sweaty and teary parts.

Depends on the bus! There are several ways of crossing the border without a passport, which is why there are several million Myanmar citizens in Thailand. One is to go to an official crossing point, obtain a day pass and then 'forget' to go back. Danger with this is there are lots of Police Checkpoints on the Thai side near these crossings. Another is to cross the border where there is no official crossing point. The north of Thailand has ten or more places where people regularly cross (or should that be irregularly?). It's no big deal. There's a pretty regular 'bus' service through one of these, between  xxx, Thailand and Ho Mein, Shan State.

I'm not familiar with the crossing points in the west but I'm sure there are at least as many.

In the age of TSA and passport stamps etc, the concept of porous borders (outside of the EU of course) is kind of foreign to me (so to speak). I know he has a Myanmar migrant worker ID he uses to work in Thailand (and to get into DJ Station), and has a temporary passport, whatever that is. I found this article: http://www.humanrightsinasean.info/campaign/myanmar-migrant-workers-thailand-face-visa-extension-and-passport-issuance-chaos-and that sort of explains some of the issues regarding the Burmese in Thailand, as well as BurBoy's eventual application for a new passport. I'll cover it on the report.

I really like the way you write your reports, the adventures you share are interesting as well as your friendships with the boys.

Sexual side of things is nice to read about and well balanced.

Thanks so much. There is a lot to say, and this report has been the easiest to write out of the others. It's a sign that a shitload of things happened, and it is all hard to forget.

OMG.... just started reading.... love it!  

this forum seems to be going from strength to strength lately.  i used to only drop in occasionally... now it seems it is a wealth of info, news, and enjoyable reading!  keep up the good work boys!

numaza .. im subscribed!  im interested in all your tales, including the non-sexual.  

And as an aside... will be in BKK for songkran parties this year.... you around? 

Yes, as the common thread of appreciation makes clear, keep writing...BUT, also, keep including the photos.  They add a bit of sorrow/joy (first photo evoking the final airport goodbye) to the lighthearted SIM card advert.

I depart in a few hours for Bangkok and my reporting will be written on the equivalent of clay tablets compared to your prose.

The details about airports,flights, sim cards etc in your reports are very useful for those of us considering a first visit to places like Myanmar.

A SIM card is highly recommended, since whilst hotel wifi can be down for hours, at least Telenor maintained a service during my trip. Not fast, but it did the job.

The details about airports,flights, sim cards etc in your reports are very useful for those of us considering a first visit to places like Myanmar.

This is primarily the reason why I go into detail about the other things as well (also I cannot help myself that I am so wordy). The detail may be useful to some of you contemplating a trip to Myanmar. I've already received PMs telling me that Myanmar is now on their list of places to visit, as a complement to Thailand. I should get residuals from the Myanmar Tourism Board!

Please keep writing... While I eager await the juicy parts of your report the detailed information on myanmar have been good as well. Much like what you did for cambodia

Thanks for confirming that the non-sexual parts are welcomed as well. Rest assured, I will detail some of the juicy sexy parts, but this trip report is more about the tours and feelings, and less about sex and gratification (at least relative to my other reports). There is still some sex tho, in Day 3 it starts in Bangkok, where I will be on my own, without BurBoy.

Yes, as the common thread of appreciation makes clear, keep writing...BUT, also, keep including the photos.  They add a bit of sorrow/joy (first photo evoking the final airport goodbye) to the lighthearted SIM card advert.

I depart in a few hours for Bangkok and my reporting will be written on the equivalent of clay tablets compared to your prose.

ggobbk, safe travels! Sorry we won't be able to meet up this time, but I am sure your trip will be a good one, as usual. Please do write about it. The trips reports are one of the more entertaining parts of this board so your contribution will always be welcome. Photos do say a lot more than words can ever convey. In the photo, that empty luggage cart by the Airport Rail Link turnstiles still fills me with sadness sometimes.

A truly outstanding Trip Report unfolding,

I am buckled-in and ready for the ride.

Thank you.

Thank Vessey. I thoroughly enjoy your trip reports and glad that you are joining me on this one. If only I can do what you do when you go on your trips! Maybe someday I'll go back to that.

I hope  you will write about your adventures as well. Are you still in Pattaya or back home? 

vinapu! I need to PM you about an upcoming trip. And its not what you think.

A SIM card is highly recommended, since whilst hotel wifi can be down for hours, at least Telenor maintained a service during my trip. Not fast, but it did the job.

Thanks z909. I agree, it was not fast but helpful if you are somewhat lost en route to your destination if using google maps. Also Line works great and video chat doesn't seem to be a problem. BurBoy scouted the various cellphone companies and Telenor seemed to be the best, in terms of where I was going this trip. He has had problems with it in outside the main tourist zones tho. May not work in the other smaller towns.

I forgot to answer these and have been meaning to:

There is a Numazu, Japan, not terribly far from Tokyo. Any connections with you? Just curious....

Keep up the good reports.

Hmmm interesting question. I'll just say that there may be a connection, but as to what I'll just keep that to myself :). And thanks, I'll keep up as long as you guys do as well.

OMG.... just started reading.... love it!

this forum seems to be going from strength to strength lately. i used to only drop in occasionally... now it seems it is a wealth of info, news, and enjoyable reading! keep up the good work boys!

numaza .. im subscribed! im interested in all your tales, including the non-sexual.

And as an aside... will be in BKK for songkran parties this year.... you around?

Thanks ozmouse. Like I always say, I probably enjoy writing these more than you guys enjoy reading it. And i will be back for songkran, for all of it: the holiday, water fights, night parties and pool parties. It'll be more lit than the White Party, I can assure you of that :).

few money questions:

do they still have Foreign exchange certificates and mandatory exchange of certain amount of USD  per day  regimen ?

What's the current exchange rate ?

Do they still have  street rate  / black market / much higher than official ?

can you pay for hotels and flights in local currency or still as foreigner you must pay in USD ?