numazu

Bangkok Trip Report: To Butterfly or not to Butterfly Part 2 – The Devil and the Angel

Along with Jasper and Paulsf I'm in Bangkok camp although I can see Pattaya has own advantages. BBB I consider best bar in Thailand, hotels seem to be cheaper, definitely drinks are as well as boys tips. Distances are manageable as well.

It took me 9 visits to LOS to eventually go to Pattaya and my first impression was not that good but encouraged by voices from this forum /firecat, 1moRussian, anonone / I decided to give her a chance and each subsequent time was better.  Last Dec  was my first trip when I liked Pattaya part better than Bangkok one and I'm writing all of that  to encourage everybody to visit , if only to form his own opinion.

My main problem in Pattaya is what to do during day and it's only partially solved by the fact I always stay in Boyztown and Copa massage boys are starting to be on the duty around 9-10 a.m.

Guest samebb

The huge divide between the lovers and haters of Pattaya continues to surprise me on this forum. I live in Bangkok but spend a lot of time in Pattaya and have done so for what will soon be a year. I have to say there are so many misconceptions and false remarks flying around I can often find it amusing. 

I love Bangkok and Soi Twilight, but let's not beat around the bush here. The only things Bangkok has that Pattaya doesn't are Tawan (big muscle gogo bar) and quality gogo bar shows. The shows in Pattaya, of which there are 2 I believe, are rubbish and a waste of time. Bangkok does offer the big city life, the sky bars, the huge malls, and the expense that comes with it. If that's for you, enjoy Bangkok. I love this city.

Pattaya, for a visitor, quite honestly has a lot more going for it. I am not saying that it's not worth experiencing both the Bangkok scene and Pattaya scene, but in terms of variety, scale and number of boys Pattaya again wins. Pattaya has Sunnee Plaza, a place with hands on fun and a gogo bar with 100baht drinks and really cute twinks (winner boy). It has BoyzTown, where some say lies the best gogo in Thailand, BoyzBoyzBoyz, and I would say the hottest twinks in Thailand in Toy Boy and Cupidol. On top of that, you have my home away from home Jomtien Complex. 20+ beer bars with hot boys in each wanting to get into your wallet for some fun. Jomtien and Sunee Plaza are half the cost of Bangkok for the financially cautious traveler. That goes for the drinks and the boys time. Hotels are also fantastic value in Pattaya. 

I am sure there are things I have forgotten to mention but my message to any newbie here is to try both Bangkok and Pattaya. I can tell you many expats in Bangkok tend to take their fun weekends away to Pattaya after a while. It just has the variety. Each city has its pros and cons but I know now where I am made to feel welcome, not scammed and most importantly find the hottest boys and best bang for my baht. 

As I love both places I guess I will sit back with some popcorn and watch you all continue arguing over which city is best. 

As a closing statement, what will you all do next year when Twilight is knocked down for that new hotel? hmmm

Guest samebb

we will become heteros and star frequenting Patpong's girly bars 

Makes me think about how things are changing. With 2 host bars now on Soi 4, with Jupiter also.

Guest samebb

"what will you all do next year when Twilight is knocked down for that new hotel? "

Indeed.

But it gives rise to another question : What will the hundreds of guys working in Soi Twilight do?

I guess some will run to Pattaya. Maybe we will see more bars move to different areas in Silom over the coming months.

Time will tell... although I know there is at least one board member here with more information on all this. Maybe he will enlighten us. With Banana Bar on 4, it seems that at least some bar owners are already ahead of things. Two boys from Hot Male 2 have already moved to work at the 4 Sports bar on soi 4, which is now operating as a host bar. Twilight prices! 

I know very little, although from what I have been told, whether it's true or false, is that only one-half of the soi is being knocked down. I have no idea which side. 

If thailand no longer have gogo, beer bars etc, sex trade will goes to apps and massage parlour. Thats is what most other countries have right now. Cruising in shopping complex and parks will also happen. Maybe that will be the case. Maybe some of the boys will go to other countries as well like malaysia? Lol

The huge divide between the lovers and haters of Pattaya continues to surprise me on this forum.

that's exaggeration, I don't think we have any haters of either one here. Yes , there are preferences but I don't recall any derogatory statements about either one.

This is not surprising and it's kind like twinks / hunks lovers  divide which perhaps is even bigger than between  BKK and PTT fans.

From my observation, it does seems like those who are into twink will have much better experience in pattaya rather than bangkok. Those who are into hunk/muscular beefy guy better of in bangkok. Of course both places have both type of boys, but selection wise bkk has more gogobars with hunk/muscular type, and pattaya has more twink, and as samebb here testify, hotter twinks.

But it gives rise to another question : What will the hundreds of guys working in Soi Twilight do?

perhaps bars move to another areas, first they will be a bit dispersed and then start concentrating , may be soi 6 will go to former glory and ones like Solid or Tomahawk will be resurected?

If thailand no longer have gogo, beer bars etc, sex trade will goes to apps and massage parlour. Thats is what most other countries have right now. Cruising in shopping complex and parks will also happen. 

will it still be worth of spending 1000 $ and 24 hours to get there. I can't see myself doing that for sake on sitting at my tablet and hunting for catch such way but perhaps it's only me? 

..and the boys will off us.  Think I'm warming to the idea. lol

no but on two separate occasions, few years apart when tried to be dragged into girly bar there by somewhat handsome barker when I said teasingly like I often do "no,  I like boys" I got an identical answer ' I will go with you ' , not sure how sincere but I guess it was an invitation to negotiation.

As for the rest only we can do is just wait and see what happens and adjust our plans accordingly.

Sometimes those changes are never coming , sometimes they are very sudden like demise of Zeus bar where I reported here was second best selection of guy in the soi, . offed boy and in few days bar was closed in the middle if the busy Christmas season and is still closed 3 years later with abandoned Zeus statue still gracing former premises. 

Most app right now is just to connect two people. perhaps the whole gogobar experience might migrate to the internet, where we can see live streaming of the gogo bar shows, choose their number for private time, and able to off them and they will come to your hotel. dunno if this already exists, but it is definitely better than just browsing the many gay apps and seeing just pictures, where most of them are either fake or photoshopped

Most app right now is just to connect two people. perhaps the whole gogobar experience might migrate to the internet, where we can see live streaming of the gogo bar shows, choose their number for private time, and able to off them and they will come to your hotel. dunno if this already exists, but it is definitely better than just browsing the many gay apps and seeing just pictures, where most of them are either fake or photoshopped

You may have a point.  And although I place high value on the face-to-face experience, maybe an adventurous tech genius would find a way to manage it all.

The huge divide between the lovers and haters of Pattaya continues to surprise me on this forum. I live in Bangkok but spend a lot of time in Pattaya and have done so for what will soon be a year. I have to say there are so many misconceptions and false remarks flying around I can often find it amusing.

I love Bangkok and Soi Twilight, but let's not beat around the bush here. The only things Bangkok has that Pattaya doesn't are Tawan (big muscle gogo bar) and quality gogo bar shows. The shows in Pattaya, of which there are 2 I believe, are rubbish and a waste of time. Bangkok does offer the big city life, the sky bars, the huge malls, and the expense that comes with it. If that's for you, enjoy Bangkok. I love this city.

Pattaya, for a visitor, quite honestly has a lot more going for it. I am not saying that it's not worth experiencing both the Bangkok scene and Pattaya scene, but in terms of variety, scale and number of boys Pattaya again wins. Pattaya has Sunnee Plaza, a place with hands on fun and a gogo bar with 100baht drinks and really cute twinks (winner boy). It has BoyzTown, where some say lies the best gogo in Thailand, BoyzBoyzBoyz, and I would say the hottest twinks in Thailand in Toy Boy and Cupidol. On top of that, you have my home away from home Jomtien Complex. 20+ beer bars with hot boys in each wanting to get into your wallet for some fun. Jomtien and Sunee Plaza are half the cost of Bangkok for the financially cautious traveler. That goes for the drinks and the boys time. Hotels are also fantastic value in Pattaya.

I am sure there are things I have forgotten to mention but my message to any newbie here is to try both Bangkok and Pattaya. I can tell you many expats in Bangkok tend to take their fun weekends away to Pattaya after a while. It just has the variety. Each city has its pros and cons but I know now where I am made to feel welcome, not scammed and most importantly find the hottest boys and best bang for my baht.

As I love both places I guess I will sit back with some popcorn and watch you all continue arguing over which city is best.

As a closing statement, what will you all do next year when Twilight is knocked down for that new hotel? hmmm

I will not be devastated if Soi Twilight is knocked down for a new hotel.

Drinks,off fees and boys rates are outrageous expensive also the quality of the shows are not as used to be years ago.

Pattaya and Phuket have beaches and much more to do for tourists. Bangkok is so huge city with trafic jam and air pollution that sometimes it's make me nervous and uncomfortable to be there.

Phuket has very nice beaches and nearby islands the gay scene is modest but plenty of boys via the apps.

Pattay is a major Disneyland for adults with plenty of boys at the bars or through the apps.

Returned from one month trip in Thailand last week and my last 3 nights in BKK were realy waste of time .

We are all different people with different thoughts, ideas and priorities. Boy69, you obviously are not happy in Bangkok. You have mentioned many times your dissatisfaction.

So I'll just counter that I love Bangkok, I hang out in Twilight all the times. I have a great time there. I, and many of my friends don't have issues with the things you have problems with. It's not a good thing or bad thing. We are all just different people.

I prefer gogo bars with twinks.   Cupidol (Pattaya) was the best on the last trip.   On some previous trip it was Classic Boys (Bangkok), but the mamasans are running that bar into the ground.    Overall, Pattaya has offered a better selection of bars for my tastes.   Pattaya bars are also much better value for money. 

As for other activities, I think Bangkok has more to see, but Pattaya is better for proper relaxation (such as on the beach).   

I'll generally spend 3 nights in Bangkok, go somewhere else and then spend at least 2 weeks in Pattaya.

Different people have different tastes.   For the people who don't like twinks & compare Tawan Bangkok with A-bomb & BBB Pattaya, you may get a different conclusion to me.   I've never been in any of those 3 bars.    What I see outside is sufficient. 

Guest samebb

that's exaggeration, I don't think we have any haters of either one here. Yes , there are preferences but I don't recall any derogatory statements about either one.

This is not surprising and it's kind like twinks / hunks lovers  divide which perhaps is even bigger than between  BKK and PTT fans.

I never mentioned hate, I just said there was a divide. I have actually spoken to a couple of forum members on LINE since posting this and was told I am correct, one laughing about how everything I like about Pattaya is everything he dislikes. Funny really.