Guest Scott303

Arena

Don't go to Arena, the management is dishonest. The pricing on menu and what is quoted by managers are different.

I wonder whether they charge different customers different minimum tips.

I had bad experience with them....

Sorry 2 disagree with u...I had a very good experience @ Arena recently. The manager is very honest 2 say d minimum tip & its up to me if I want to give additional. The muscular masseur is not demanding anything & his massage/happy ending & treatment to me is very good, he was very grateful when I gave additional tip. The manager even ask if I'm satisfied with the massage experience, of course, I said definitely like it. I'm saying all of this based on very good experience with the place.

The minimum tip is there to be a fair way to balance the interests of the customer and the masseur. 

Minimum tip is an asymmetry: the boy knows what he gets, the customer does not know what he gets.

For that reason, I largely avoid places that have a minimum tip stated.

In gay massage places with no minimum tip stated, I had several massages that were so-so, and the boy's idea of a happy ending was very different from mine, so I did just massage and no happy ending and tipped accordingly (that is 300 THB for massage).

(Minimum tip a bit of reminds me of a now closed short-lived gogo or host bar in basement of Wall Street Tower diagonally opposite Soi Twilight across Surawong, who would not let me have a look inside without buying a drink first. I refused. Later I learned, that they were low on boys. And I would certainly not pay for a drink to look at less than 10 boys. Exception is Super A, but at 100 THB per drink you can't go wrong.)

Minimum tip is an asymmetry: the boy knows what he gets, the customer does not know what he gets.

Agreed. Admittedly the other way is asymmetric in favour of the customer, since the service is delivered before the tip is paid. However, as the customer, I prefer the latter option.

I had several massages that were so-so, and the boy's idea of a happy ending was very different from mine, so I did just massage and no happy ending and tipped accordingly (that is 300 THB for massage).

On the rare occasions that a massage is unsatisfactory, I decline any happy ending option & tip accordingly.  If it's really poor, no further tip is paid, since I have already paid for the massage & the tip would only be for good service. Thankfully, this is the exception & it is several years since I've had to do that.

I am for the minimum tips. They let u know up front what is the price, the word tips here is just to differentiate where the money goes, fee to the shop, tip to the masseur. So u know how much u need to pay minimum upfront, and if its too much, no need to bother going there. It beats the places where no minimum is stated but then the masseur quote u crazy high tips when u are already super horny and think using your dick head rather than your head lol. Which means u either pay to get release or dont pay and be severely frustrated sexually. U can buy a 10buck shoes or 200 bucks shoes but none of u like to pay 20usd only to know that if u want to use the shoes longer than 20min u have to pay 180usd

I go to arena off and on and I understand the business structure, I just took exception to relating it to that of a restaurant and paying for food and relating that to the tip at a massage place.

In a restaurant you pay for the meal and tip the server.

In a massage business, you pay for the massage and tip the massage worker.

If a restaurant had a price structure that demanded a high minimum tip for the servers unrelated to how good their service was than you could say it was a similar business model to a thai massage business. That's all.

In a massage business, you pay for the massage and tip the massage worker.

If you state it axiomatically like that, the problem is that sometimes people think the "tip" to the masseur is inherently discretionary because somehow the very notion of tip includes that concept.  That is simply not how the  "minimum tip" economically operates at these shops.  Clinging to simplistic "tip" notion can lead to confusion, which I think can then lead to disappointment/misunderstandings.   The confusion is eliminated in these types of shop when people see that "minimum tip" is the minimum amount payable to the masseur and don't get hung up on the "tip" notion.   

If a restaurant had a price structure that demanded a high minimum tip for the servers unrelated to how good their service was than you could say it was a similar business model to a thai massage business. That's all.

Bucky, many High End restaurants DO have a Minimum Tip. It is often stated at the bottom of the Menu. In some places it may only be for a larger Group of dinners, like 6 or more. And it is often 20 to 25%.

I think the "problem" here is calling this a Tip. Tips ARE usually discretionary, based on satisfaction with the quality of the product and the level of service provided.

It would be much better in my mind if the amount paid the Massage Guy was listed as a Fee. There would be a Massage Fee for the Shop and a Masseur Fee for the Guy. Clear and simple. But then I am not the owner of the shop.

:good:

It is just the use of name "tips" by these massage shop make some people confused anyway. People think tips should not be fixed, when applying to their place of living. But here is Thailand, things not necessary be the same as the place you live, why you complain about it as long as you are told before you buying the service?

I never been to arena before, not because of the tips. The only thing in arena confuse me is their masseur type. Some people here say they are mid 20, but some people say they are more mature type with more beefy body which is not my cup of tea.

It is just the use of name "tips" by these massage shop make some people confused anyway. People think tips should not be fixed, when applying to their place of living. But here is Thailand, things not necessary be the same as the place you live, why you complain about it as long as you are told before you buying the service?

I never been to arena before, not because of the tips. The only thing in arena confuse me is their masseur type. Some people here say they are mid 20, but some people say they are more mature type with more beefy body which is not my cup of tea.

To be safe, the age group there of the gym buff masseurs are mid20s to early 30s, been there last month.

I have just had a smile about the posts on discretionary tipping.

I am a Brit and apart from the increasing practise of automatically adding 10% to a restaurant bill in the UK you tip what you feel the meal and service deserve.

I tried doing this on visits to the US, it was not a pleasant reaction when the waiter/waitress felt I hadn't tipped enough.

I have just returned from a trip to Vietnam with hubby and tips were not expected (sorry nothing to report on gay life as I was travelling with my better half)