abidismaili

Hotel check in times

Reading in a thread here that some people prefer arriving around 11 pm in Bangkok with their plane, I got the following question, because I always arrive in late morning and below "issue" does not occur.

Hotel check in times are normally after noon (12.00),  or even after 2 pm. So if you arrive 11 pm then you will arrive at your hotel around 01.00 am or so. Say this is a Monday. Can you then check in? I mean it's before check in time. Or must you have booked a room from Sunday to Monday also? I assume if you booked Monday to Tuesday as your first day, you won't be able to check in. Is this correct ?

So I think if you arrive very early on Monday, you have to book a room from Sunday to Monday.  But if you then check in early Monday aren't you afraid hotel staff will think you won't arrive anymore and rebook your room to another customer? They expected to see you Sunday but the whole Sunday you didn't show up. So you arrive 1 am in your hotel and staff will say: "oh, we thought you wouldn't come anymore (we waited all Sunday) and booked your room to someone else".

Most hotel's websites have disclaimer ' room guaranteed for late arrival. Definitely it was my case with Nantra last year, instead of arriving at 1 a.m I showed up , because of missing connection , at noon next day and room was still waiting for me so I'd not be concerned with letting it to somebody else , specially when prepaid.

From my experience all those arriving late or too soon are subject of some interpretation  by the hotel, specially depending on how busy they are. Raya is known for sticking to their 2or 3 p.m. checking in policy but still once they let me into room at 11 am already. If I arrive in the dead of the  night I still book for that night as even at 3 or 4 am I rather had pillow and bed than wait in the lobby.

BBB Inn let me once to move in at 6 am without charging extra even if nominal check in is 2 or 3 .

So when concerned clear rules with hotel and hope for the best, it looks that there's room for common sense at receptions

There are no set rules for this and most HTL-esp. in low season, will have plenty of emtpy rooms. With nowadays everyting online on the fone way of handling this, unexpected/unannounced arrivals to claim your room are very, very rare in the higher class HTLs. And if you are recognised as regular customer you also have priority. I assume-but have no experinece for this in TH, that the bigger and well-known the chain or the more tourgroups they have, the stricter they are on these things.

In budget places one simply has to wait till the cleaning lady(boy) has done their job and then roomkeys will be handed over-that might be 7.37 or thatmight be after 15.00. Many budgetteers arive early morning on overnight bus/train.

One advantage of travelling direct from Europe is not having to contend with 1:00 am check in times.

However, if you have a pre-paid hotel room and the hotel has 24 hour reception, then surely they should check you in no matter how late you arrive ?    I would take the precaution of advising them of a likely late arrival.

I have checked in about an hour early at one hotel in Bangkok, but did have to wait about 15 minutes for the room.

When I flew to Bali from Manila, our flight arrived at 5:30am. Good old Cebu Pacific must get a lower Landing Fee at that time.

So I did pay for the room for the night of our arrival. Worked out well. Got to the Hotel, had a nice Breakfast, and slept until the afternoon.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:48 PM, vinapu said:

Raya is known for sticking to their 2or 3 p.m.

It sounds like nothing is unknown to vinapu (at least around Silom area).

My flight will be arriving at BKK international airport at 8 am on 10/2 and my departing flight will leave at 3:30 am on 10/7.

So, I booked a room at Raya for 10/2 - 10/7 with the expectation that they would let me check in earlier. As a pay back, I will check out very early on 10/7. Since my flight is leaving at 3:30 am on 10/7, I will need to check out right after midnight on 10/6 night (very early morning on 10/7). But I booked it through 10/7. So, I can enjoy BKK until the last minute and have a room (more importantly a bathroom) to myself. After I put the reservation through hotels dot com, I have been talking to Raya and it seems like they don't read or understand my request. They kept saying that their check in time is 1400 hours and their check out time is noon. It sounds like a generic reply. :(

My suggestion if u needed a place to refresh before raya letting u in to check in, u can try one of the hotels that have short time rate in the vicinity. Ive never tried them so maybe other members can pitch in where and how much is the rate. Another option is to drop your luggage at raya reception, and go for breakfast/coffee, sight seeing, and maybe a massage (2 hour oil massage at prime (open at 12pm for example will finish at 2pm just in time for check in at raya, and u can even shower before and after). Gay massage place opened bit later, some do open earlier but chances are not many boys will be there early.

it's very smart that you booked room for whole night even if you will not be using it past midnight likely. I know some miserables who are checking out at noon and have nowhere to place their luggage , not to mention take a shower or another s... waiting for their past midnight flight and then travelling in sweaty shirt . Although me,  with my love of changing hotels  in such situation I'd check out of Raya  at noon and book  room in one of cheaper hotels in vicinity like  Nantra , Pavillion or Wall Street Inn for that half night in order to save that 30-40 $ which can be better spent as a tip for your last consolator.

Raya may check you in earlier if your room will be available but don't count on it and be prepared that hay may make you waiting till 2 p.m. 

I think there is a degree of selfishness when we travel. We know hotels have check-in and check-out rules but we sometimes expect them to fit in with our own different arrival and departure times especially if we inform them in advance. But the fact is that the staff in hotels have a lot of work to do between check out and check in. Although we may arrive at 7 in the morning we get pissed off that there is no room for an early arrival. And if we have a late night flight we again get pissed off when we cannot stay beyond the official check out time.

As others have stated, you are much more likely to find fewer problems if you keep the hotel informed. And if you have paid for a room, the hotel is obliged to provide you with a room even though you may have suffered a delay,  But many people do not prepay their rooms. That becomes a gray area. If you are delayed and have not got  message to the hotel, then you could well find tour room is given away if the hotel is full.

I once had an extremely long delay arriving at a New York hotel and no way of reaching reception to inform them. So instead of arriving at 5.00 pm as earlier advised I did not get there till 1.00 am. The receptionist looked at my reservation form, checked hi computer and then told me he was sorry the hotel was full and they had given my room away a couple of hours earlier. But i had prepaid. As I was about to explode, he informed me that he would upgrade me to a top floor suite for my three nights! It happened to be a 4 star hotel but not a chain hotel and I had stayed there only once a few years before. What would have happened in a one or two star hotel I just do not know. But having paid in advance, there must be some obligation on the hotel to provide accommodation whenever you happen to arrive in that 24 hour period

My rule is therefore clear. I prepay much more often than not. I keep hotels informed of my expected arrival time and any change. If arriving early or departing late, I request in advance access to the room early or late. But I accept it is up to the hotel. Sometimes it works, most times not. But if I am arriving on an early flight at around 7.00 am, I will usually prepay that one night just to make sure!

3 hours ago, asnstudent said:

So, I booked a room at Raya for 10/2 - 10/7 with the expectation that they would let me check in earlier. As a pay back, I will check out very early on 10/7. 

I agree with the others.  I wouldn't expect the Raya to give you a particularly early check-in just because you plan on leaving early on the 7th.  I understand your point, but I'm not sure they think they would get much out of the value you're offering in the exchange.  

One possibility to stretch the time might be to shower at the Novotel attached to Suvarnbabhumi.  I HAVE NOT DONE THIS BUT HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO PEOPLE WHO SAY IT CAN BE DONE. One Blog  Another Blog  No guarantees.  That might get you clean and fresh and kill some time so you get to a more convenient time to arrive in Bangkok and then, personally, I would follow Spoon's suggestions.  

Apparently Magic Hands Massage on Ngam Dupli opens at 9:00 in the morning.  (!).  So there's another possibility.  A long massage there, drop off your bags at Raya, grab a bite to eat, and the next thing you know the more self-respecting brothels are open at 1:00 and you're good to go.  Personally I would confirm Magic Hands Spa's opening time before building my itinerary around it.  Magic Hands

edit to add:  Looks like Lava Mens Spa (formerly dab AEC) on Suan Phlu opens at 10:00.  Lava. Again, no guarantees that 10:00 means 10:00.

There is a small number of hotels that have started to introduce 24 hour bookings. So if you arrive at 7.00 pm you are entitled to a 7.00 pm check out. The U Hotel Sukhumvit and the U hotel Sathorn (off Ngamduplee not far from Babylon). But their cheapest rates will be a lot more than the other hotels discussed here, even on agoda.

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

My rule is therefore clear. I prepay much more often than not.

I do too , if only to avoid carrying excessive amount of cash. In June last year instead of arriving at 2 a.m. I showed at Nantra Silom at 1 p.m. They still kept room for me. As mentioned before when I depart or arrive at non-standard hours I tend to book cheaper hotels so my heart is not bleeding that I'm not utilizing  my payment in full . 

If hotel is not full they may let us in even very early . BBB Inn once let me in at 8 a.m. without any fuss and extra charge. Extending stay beyond check out time may be more difficult as cleaning stuff may be already gone , specially in smaller places. I know somebody who was staying in one of better places in Sukhumvit area and when asking about extending stay for couple hours they directed him to a cleaner saying that they don't mind as hotel is not full but he must compensate cleaner for extra hours on duty. So some places may be very accommodating, he is 2 weeks  regular there every Feb though so it could be factor.

Thank you everyone for your excellent ideas. That's exactly why I love this forum and you all.

I talked to hotels dot com who helped me communicating with Raya, and now the hotel will agree to a full refund if I want to go ahead and cancel my reservation.

I am now thinking of all the possible options that I learned from your comments.

I will probably use a different cheaper hotel for a short stay on my last day instead of staying at the same hotel for an early check out as vinapu suggested.

But an early check in will still be my preference since I will most likely need a short power nap and a shower after an almost 30 hour flight and to be able to enjoy my first night to its fullest. So, I am now making a few different reservations (with free cancellations) and contacting the hotels directly for possibility of an early check in.

@vinapu I haven't looked Amara hotel yet. Do you think an early check in will be possible with Amara?

If u cannot get guaranteed early check in, my suggestions is to just book a day earlier, so you will be guaranteed the early check in. Not ideal, but if all things fails and u dont want to stay and a different hotel with cheaper price for one day, this is the next best option. I had once asked a 5 star hotel where we booked quite a high end room (suite) whether we can checked in earlier and they say they can for a charge, and the charge is almost similar to a one night charge, so if they cant give u free early check in, its also possible to ask if you can get guaranteed early check in for a price.

24 minutes ago, spoon said:

If u cannot get guaranteed early check in, my suggestions is to just book a day earlier, so you will be guaranteed the early check in. Not ideal, but if all things fails and u dont want to stay and a different hotel with cheaper price for one day, this is the next best option. I had once asked a 5 star hotel where we booked quite a high end room (suite) whether we can checked in earlier and they say they can for a charge, and the charge is almost similar to a one night charge, so if they cant give u free early check in, its also possible to ask if you can get guaranteed early check in for a price.

Raya finally offered me a guaranteed early check in for a fee. It will be around US $ 100 which is even more than a nightly rate I had to pay to them.

If I cannot find any hotels for an early check in, I will probably use a cheaper one for a few hours rest before I can check in to my regular one.

The best solution is to book 1 more night for the night before your arrival then you garantee earlier arrival it will cost you one more night but you have no choice. On one of my trips my departure flight was on midnight so I could stay longer then the check out permit I lost a night but it was convinience to stay at the hotel till my flight.

@vinapu I haven't looked Amara hotel yet. Do you think an early check in will be possible with Amara?

my apologies but I have no idea, hotel seemed busy but it's big hotel . I'm not familiar with Amara , booked  only because of spark  of the moment  ( I was reading thread where that hotel was recommended when  phone rung and somebody who owed me money for  a few years announced he is passing by to pay his debt so I decided to spent windfall right away as sum owed was roughly what 2 nights at Amara cost)

That's exactly why I love this forum and you all.

we love you too

2 hours ago, asnstudent said:

Raya finally offered me a guaranteed early check in for a fee. It will be around US $ 100 which is even more than a nightly rate I had to pay to them.

If I cannot find any hotels for an early check in, I will probably use a cheaper one for a few hours rest before I can check in to my regular one.

don't over do it, book some cheapie like Nantra , Wall Street , Strand or Pavillion for night before, you will arrive to take shower and a nap, at 2 pm  go to Raya and save your 100 for a boy's tip. Nantra single room without window  can be had for 20$ I think

I do most of my hotel stays as walk-in (but I found that in Thailand, Taiwan, Myanmar prices online are about 20% cheaper than walk-in, so I might book online in the future), and in low- or mid-class hotels (300 to 600 THB per night) in the provinces in Thailand never had a problem with early check-in, around 9 am.

More than 9 out of 10 hotels I go to have a free room, I can even increase that to only one out of 20 hotels I went to was booked out (from vague memory, as it's so rare). I wouldn't worry a second about staff being busy cleaning the room after the last or for the next customer, as I assume the hotel was not fully occupied yesterday and will not be fully occupied tomorrow.

I once came from Pattaya in the afternoon and had a night train to Chiang Mai at night, and no hotel in Bangkok. I did some sightseeing and had a massage with shower before and after and change of clothes instead of booking a hotel room.

My problem is the opposite: I sometimes need late check-out, like 1 or 2 pm. Last year I had to pay 100 THB for one hour late check-out, but that was because a boy came around 11 and I checked out 13 and well worth the money. Last week I got late check-out 2 pm for free in Myanmar. But late check-out is always a discussion (whereas early check-in was never a problem), so if I know in advance, I would not book online, but ask at reception and if there is a problem, go elsewhere.

Based on over 5 early check-ins or late check-outs, mostly in Thailand.

So my advice is: for early check-in (I think everything after sunrise should be okay) do NOT book online, but walk-in and if a room is free (from the day before, not from a guest that checked out even earlier) they should give it to you without problem. (Unless of course ALL hotels are cheaper online than walk-in, and I have been paying too much for hundreds of nights in hotels.)

Thank you so much to all of you for your great ideas and suggestions. Two heads are better than one, and a forum of so many great heads is definitely the best.

I have spent quite a few hours online .. emailed to some hotels including a couple US chain brands, talked to one over the phone, used my phone calculator to compare prices of different possible options by using various permutations and combinations. After sacrificing some of my black hair, I have come up with one final decision. I wish I had this kind of patience and creativity on other aspects of my life too. I am not sure for other aspects, but when it comes to the LOS (or LOB - land of boys to be more accurate), the need has made me creative. 8)

Initially I had made a reservation at Raya for a suite room for 10/2 through 10/7. Then with the help of hotels dot com, I was able to have that reservation cancelled with a full refund. Then I started looking into other possible options including booking a cheaper hotel for a day ahead. but then I realized that I would still need to check out from that cheaper hotel by noon and I would still have two hours gap on 10/2 (which is going to be my first day in BKK after a super long haul). I would not have minded a 2 hour gap if it's on my second day, but my whole purpose of finding a place in this situation is to utilize every hour for a rest. I have also thought about using a short stay hotel, but I was not able to find how to book this kind of hotel online. and I didn't want to end up having to walk around with a bag looking for one after my arrival. After many hotels in different price ranges (from 20-30$ to 140-150$ per night) couldn't guarantee an early check in, I thought my best option would be to book a hotel for 10/1 - 10/3, with a request for a late arrival, then to check in on 10/2 once I arrive, stay over until 10/3, then move to my regular chosen one. Luckily I found an availability of grand deluxe room at Raya with a cheaper price than my previous suite room for 10/1 - 10/3 on agoda. Without hesitation, I submitted a reservation. Then at the same time, I booked a grand deluxe room at Raya for 10/3 - 10/6 with a similar price through hotels dot com. I hope Raya will let me stay in the same room since both bookings are for a grand deluxe room. if not, I wont mind having a gap since it will be on my second day.

Then I will move to Wall St inn on my last day since I will need to use it only until midnight to catch my early morning departing flight on 10/7.

Thank you again everyone. :wub:

Then why I didn't book a grand deluxe room for the whole period on either agoda or hotels dot com, rather than submitting two separate reservations through two different booking sites since they both are still with Raya?

The answer is because it was much cheaper to do it. I am not sure why. Raya doesn't want long term stay guests? My initial thought was to book a hotel for 10/1 - 10/3, then move to my regular hotel on 10/3 (as mentioned in my post above). But when I started thinking for the second part, since i didn't want to travel too far, i was looking at Tarntawan, Glitz and a few others around Raya. I compared their prices. Then I realized that if i could remain at Raya, i wouldn't need to move. i looked at all their available room types and found the availability of a grand deluxe room. I wouldn't have minded even if it was for a different room type. it will still be within Raya and it will not be on my first day, not immediately after my arrival when i would need to rest the most.

It took me quite a few hours, was having to use multiple taps and windows simultaneously for different booking sites, for different hotels, for different permutations.
Though i might have turned quite a lot of my black hair into gray, i felt like it is the best part of my trip. the best part of a trip is in its preparation stage as we discussed before here.