vinapu

Back in Thailand for 20th time - Oct 2019 trip

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

There’s some of sour grapes too. I universally ask my long time off if they are hungry before we go to hotel  and also treat them if they wish with breakfast. I noticed some signs of abuse ie. they picked up most expensive dishes , usually seafood. It’s not fair when say 75% of 800 baht restaurant bill is spent    on treating one’s guest. I did not mind so far  but when it become too blatant and  visible I resolved to watch that and veto if  dish is too expensive or state up front that I have only 500 or whatever on me so watch what you order .

Yes I agree with you but I am not sure that the boys are doing it deliberately to abuse you it's more like they are trying to compensate themselves for expensive food that they cannot afford to order,This is why when I am eating with a boy that is with me on ST period it's a street food or simple restaurant.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, vinapu said:

As I stated before  while show is excellent and guys super handsome Jupiter is NOT my favorite bar . Dearth of smiles on boy’s faces, loud, talk-preventing music  and obnoxious practice of reserving the best seats and not factors I particularly like .

When I visited Moonlight last month I noticed they also have started reserving seats for not only the front row but the comfy front back seats back to the wall.

In Jupiter, it’s best to avoid right side seats facing the stage as there are some speakers there.

For someone whose main reason for being in Thailand this trip was "other activities" I am nothing short of amazed how much breakfasting, late nights and all sorts of bedwork you managed to put in.

Most of my trips to Bangkok are likewise for "other activities", but on average I can only manage to squeeze in some fun time every alternate day. I really envy you.

One small question: were you checked into two hotels in parallel? One for "other activities" and the other in the Silom area for "joy activities"? The reason I ask is this: My "other activities" would typically put me in nice bourgeouis hotels often in the Sukhumvit or Chao Phraya areas complete with over-attentive security. Taking someone from a bar would pose logistical problems. I've explored short-time rooms in the Surawong area but they are so tawdry, I just can't bring myself to use them.

(Oh, by the way, I can confirm that BBB Inn is now history. Walked past the stretch recently and I think a barbershop may have taken over its lot.)

I've sometimes considered a parallel booking in a 2-star or 3-star hotel in the Silom/Surawong area, with the plan being to check in and leave a backpack there with the essentials for entertaining paramours and washing up. Depending on the circumstances of each night, I could sleep in the bourgeois room or at the temporary pied-a-terre. Of course, if I slept at the latter, I'd have to wake up early and taxi back to "proper" locale if an early meeting had been fixed.

Vinapu, was that what you were doing? Do others think this idea of maintaining a parallel hotel booking is a crazy idea or a practical one? Has anyone tried something like this? One part of me suspects that such a plan could easily devolve into madcap confusion and running around.

I have often thought of booking the Serene Hotel in Boyztown as a knocking shop when I’m out and about in BT. If you’re planning several offs or a threesome then it saves hassle getting back to my accommodation. Only about 800 a night worth it in my opinion. 
if I was planning an all nighter then it would be back to my place.

9 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Yes I agree with you but I am not sure that the boys are doing it deliberately to abuse you it's more like they are trying to compensate themselves for expensive food that they cannot afford to order,This is why when I am eating with a boy that is with me on ST period it's a street food or simple restaurant.

I did not mean by ordering expensive dishes they abused me but rather abused situation. I invited them and don't mind paying but  still find it odd when bill is say , 800 baht and out of that 200 is for what I consumed and 600 is for what my guest did so warned readers to watch for  what is ordered. Certainly I will be watching 

6 hours ago, Jasper said:

It was my choice of restaurant but the bill came to 4000 baht for two without alcohol drinks. lol

I think generally Thais order dishes way too many than they can consume.

my beef is not  as much size of the bill as discrepancy between how much was my and how much was guy's part.

I noticed this excessive ordering as well and I'm pretty sure it's cultural thing - boy is expecting that what he orders will be shared between us, way Thais are eating. I, on another hand order what I want to eat and don't need to supplement it from 'communal' dish. Usually I just say clearly 'order what you want to eat , I will have chicken with cashew nuts or whatever" 

6 hours ago, Jasper said:

When I visited Moonlight last month I noticed they also have started reserving seats for not only the front row but the comfy front back seats back to the wall.

In Jupiter, it’s best to avoid right side seats facing the stage as there are some speakers there.

I did not notice reservations  in Moonlight so far and better they don't start that nonsense but truth to be told neither in Aug nor on  last trip I did not go to those comfy seats in the back , I like those in second row from the sage close to the shower stall.

You are right about that Jupiter right side , this is where we were on day 8, on another hand on day 3 with Gold and Anddy we were seating at front of the stage it it was too loud as well.

6 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

For someone whose main reason for being in Thailand this trip was "other activities" I am nothing short of amazed how much breakfasting, late nights and all sorts of bedwork you managed to put in.

Most of my trips to Bangkok are likewise for "other activities", but on average I can only manage to squeeze in some fun time every alternate day. I really envy you.

One small question: were you checked into two hotels in parallel? One for "other activities" and the other in the Silom area for "joy activities"? The reason I ask is this: My "other activities" would typically put me in nice bourgeouis hotels often in the Sukhumvit or Chao Phraya areas complete with over-attentive security. Taking someone from a bar would pose logistical problems. I've explored short-time rooms in the Surawong area but they are so tawdry, I just can't bring myself to use them.

(Oh, by the way, I can confirm that BBB Inn is now history. Walked past the stretch recently and I think a barbershop may have taken over its lot.)

I've sometimes considered a parallel booking in a 2-star or 3-star hotel in the Silom/Surawong area, with the plan being to check in and leave a backpack there with the essentials for entertaining paramours and washing up. Depending on the circumstances of each night, I could sleep in the bourgeois room or at the temporary pied-a-terre. Of course, if I slept at the latter, I'd have to wake up early and taxi back to "proper" locale if an early meeting had been fixed.

Vinapu, was that what you were doing? Do others think this idea of maintaining a parallel hotel booking is a crazy idea or a practical one? Has anyone tried something like this? One part of me suspects that such a plan could easily devolve into madcap confusion and running around.

to be honest , when I was typing my report I was actually surprised to realize  how much fun I managed to squeeze in. I generally sleep very little like late Margaret Thatcher and in Thailand even less. "Other activities" were generally restricted to business hours and with two exceptions there were no early meetings.

When looking in the mirror - I even envy myself thinking about that trip .

No , luckily for me I did not need to use parallel hotels. Only case of parallel  was day 5 when I paid for Baan Suoy but finished up at VSpace but it has nothing  to do with 'other stuff ".

I , for one,  if conditions will be requiring it would consider parallel booking wise and workable idea. It's better than constantly looking behind my back . Specially in Thailand where both hotel and taxi  prices  are very user friendly.

Check also PM

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

I have often thought of booking the Serene Hotel in Boyztown as a knocking shop when I’m out and about in BT. If you’re planning several offs or a threesome then it saves hassle getting back to my accommodation. Only about 800 a night worth it in my opinion. 
if I was planning an all nighter then it would be back to my place.

I did it last year as reported -  I messed up and booked both Zing and Ambiance for the same 2 nights, as both were non refundable but also cheapest  rooms I kept both and actually , since my offs were from Boyztown I used Ambiance for entertaining them at night

4 hours ago, MunichCut said:

Thx a Lot vinapu for your Report, Can`t wai`t for my Trip to Thailand and the Phillipines in January.

you are waiting for your trip and we are waiting for your report , LOL

I don't know about Philippines but you should have very pleasant weather in Thailand in January

14 hours ago, vinapu said:

I , for one,  if conditions will be requiring it would consider parallel booking wise and workable idea. It's better than constantly looking behind my back .

My only experiment with a parallel booking was on one occasion when the "other activities" visit allowed me to stay all the way to Sunday, with no meetings scheduled for Saturday. So I booked a room in La Residence for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday), allowing me to have nightly visitors, especially since my fancy official hotel was on the other side of the river.

Waking up with boy in arms on Saturday morning, phone was without juice. Then "shit, phone is here but charger is there!". Sleepy boy had to be rushed through breakfast so that I could taxi over there to retrieve said charger. Got back to La Residence by midday to charge up the phone, and as soon as it had a bit of juice, mailbox was updated and one email in particular said, "Please open attachment".... which was the kind of attachment that I couldn't open on the phone. So rushed back to the other side of Chao Phraya again to turn on the laptop to read said email and open said attachment.

And that was a day when I had no appointments to worry myself about.

I've been wary of parallel bookings ever since, as you can imagine.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

MunichCut - I hope you're not expecting the Philippines to be anything like Thailand. I've had short visits to Manila and everything, everything, is a mess including the "gay" scene. Outside the capital, it can be nice, but no scene at all.

Govt is already strict on this...go go bars and massage places are always being raided by the police, so the best option is really Thailand, particularly BKK.

I am a BIG FAN of the Philippines!! So many beautiful places to visit. And the Guys there are wonderful!!

However, it is correct that the Bars and Massage Places are nothing like Thailand. Use PlanetRomeo and Whatsup to meet guys. I avoid Manila. It is too big and too congested. Takes 2 hours just to get across the City from Malate to Makita. Instead go to Cebu City. It is in the south and more relaxed. And it is a good hopping off place for Adventures; like hiking to the waterfalls, swimming with the whale sharks, mountaineering in the canyons, or just lying on the beach.

I will not turn you trip report into a Travel Ad for the Philippines. Just send me a PM if you want to ask any questions. GWMinUS

6 hours ago, MunichCut said:

I am in Manila only for 3 Days.Then i go to Boracay,Cebu,El Nido,Coron. But first some Days in Bangkok and Pattaya.

is this your first time in either country? Just asking... For Thailand you get lots of info here, for PH let me just make a few comments:

- Manila is an ugly mess, as has been said before

- Boracay is gorgeous, though on my last visit in Jan 2018 it was so incredibly overcrowded, it wasn't funny. One may think of their president what one wants, but on the issue of Boracay and his drastic measure to close the entire island for 6 months, I fully support that. Now, after the reopening, it should be back to it's beautiful former self. TIP: the more quiet, and more gay area on White Beach is in the southern section, aka "station 3". Sepcial TIP: go even further to the south, past the rocks, and you will find several small, beautiful sandy coves with usually no people at all. It was like that even in Jan 2018 when otherwise everything was overflowing. It is (or used to be) somewhat of a secret gay spot, too. 

- El Nido is (or was?) incredibly beautiful and was rather quiet when I was there in 2012. Not sure how it is now, so would be interested in uour update. What is the mode of transport there these days? Back then, the only "official" way was by 8 or 10 hour jeepney trip from Puerto Princessa, which compounded it's remoteness and thus it's quietness. But then there was also a somewhat secret, private small plane service directly from Manila, which I took. Things may have changed....

Seems your PH trip is indeed hi-jacking this trip report thread, maybe open a new one for the purpose? But then the report is finished already, so not too much damage done ;)