floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

6 hours ago, reader said:

A leading tourism chief has said that it is time Thailand opens up again to foreign tourists and Chinese tourists in particular.

I don't think it matters what this tourism chief says.  He is not in a position to make those decisions.

I hope nobody minds, but I'm posting a copy of a post I placed on my board this morning:

______________________________________________________________________________________

After reading Barry's article below, if anyone outside of Thailand still thinks you're going to get to return to Thailand any time soon, or even within reasonably foreseeable future, let me know.  I'm curious as to what makes you think so.

By the way, those of you who think Thailand will relent and start opening tourism again because of economics, I don't know, but I still have seen nothing to indicate Thailand is even going to take that into consideration.

Many are posting on all kinds of boards with their ideas and opinions as to what Thailand should do, might be forced to do, or how attention should also be focused on other major causes of death and chaos.  However, I don't recall any Thai powers-that-be asking for farang advice.  The only thing that counts is what Thailand is gonna do and when they're going to do it, regardless whether their decisions make sense to us.

In short, don't start packing your bags for a holiday in Thailand just yet . . .

Elite card is not a free pass to return to Thailand

By Barry Kenyon

August 3, 2020

Following press reports in UK that the long-stay visa known as Elite is an automatic permission to return to Thailand, Thai embassies abroad are stressing that all foreigners must follow the proper procedures. There have been several instances of Elite card holders purchasing an air ticket to Bangkok online only to be refused boarding at the airport.

The Elite is a 5-20 year visa offered in exchange for a non-returnable, initial cash payment of between 500,000 and 2,000,000 baht according to which option is chosen. Last month, the Thai government agreed to allow Elite holders to be included in the list of foreigners who are eligible to request entry permission from the Thai embassy in the country of intended departure.

The other privileged groups are permanent residents, who hold a police red book, medical tourists seeking substantial surgery, work permit holders and sponsored business people, registered students and those with Thai wives or dependents to support. All these potential groups, plus Elite holders, must submit copious documentation to the appropriate Thai embassy including proof of medical insurance worth at least US$100,000 and proof of virus-free status. Another requirement is that all non-Thais pay for 14-days quarantine at a state-approved hotel on arrival.

The Thai foreign affairs ministry stresses that all applications are handled on a case by case basis. Nobody can travel without a certificate of entry issued by the embassy after consultation with Bangkok authorities. General tourists and retirees are not currently included in the list of categories permitted to return, according to the website of the Thai embassy in UK. Thailand has been coronavirus-free of community transmission for several months, but there are regular Covid-19 cases of returning Thais who have been identified during the compulsory quarantine period.

The Elite card is not issued by Thai embassies worldwide but by the government in Bangkok after liaison with the immigration bureau. Applications can be made on-line from virtually anywhere in the world and are welcome irrespective of age or nationality. However, Elite membership does not allow working in Thailand nor ownership of land. It is basically a long-term visitor visa which additionally carries perks such as fast-track immigration and discounts at some leisure and retail outlets. Holders are not exempt from the requirement to report their address every 90 days if they have not left the country for three months.

Several British nationals, desperate to return to Thailand, told Pattaya Mail that they had applied on-line and been told the processing period was between two weeks and two months. Once granted, the card could be picked up by special arrangement at a Bangkok airport. They are allowed to request permission to travel from the Thai embassy during the application period after payment of the cash sum. One applicant Roger Inkerman said, “The Elite offers me the only possible way to return this year, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.”

Views differ on the overall merits of Elite. Some claim it is expensive, does not exclude members from regular reporting at the immigration bureau and has few tangible benefits. But others point out that a cash payment of 500,000 baht for a guaranteed five years is a fair deal, especially as there are no further financial requirements or checks. Roger Inkerman concluded, “It’s good value for money when you remember that the annual Thai retirement visa requires you always to have 800,000 baht in your account for five months and 400,000 baht for the other seven. This is money you can’t spend. Elite is a better deal.”

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/elite-card-is-not-a-free-pass-to-return-to-thailand-309876

4 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Many are posting on all kinds of boards with their ideas and opinions as to what Thailand should do, might be forced to do, or how attention should also be focused on other major causes of death and chaos.  However, I don't recall any Thai powers-that-be asking for farang advice.  The only thing that counts is what Thailand is gonna do and when they're going to do it, regardless whether their decisions make sense to us.

I thought posting ideas and opinions is what a board is about.

Gaybutton said:

"The only thing that counts is what Thailand is gonna do and when they're going to do it, regardless whether their decisions make sense to us."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I agree that's accurate, I'm reminded that "they" are politicians. Like politicians everywhere, they are influenced by public opinion. What they say today should not be confused with what they are inclined to say--or do--tomorrow or next week or next month.

This is the greatest challenge the country has faced since the financial crisis of 1997. The swelling ranks of the unemployed and underemployed, coupled with graduating students with little hope of finding a job, creates political forces any politician can ill afford to ignore.

What has changed in the 23 years since the last crisis is the emergence of social media. Ideas and opinions get circulated instantly among a younger and disenchanted audience. No one should underestimate their potential to influence the behavior of government.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Nation

UTCC predicts 9.4% GDP contraction, up to Bt3trn in losses

The Covid-19 outbreak has punched a Bt2-trillion hole in the Thai economy, according to the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC), which has cut its projection for this year’s GDP to a 9.4 per cent contraction.

The coronavirus outbreak has already cost Thai economy Bt2.1 trillion, which could rise to Bt3 trillion if the economy does not recover in the second half of the year, said Thanawat Polvichai, rector at UTCC.

The university has almost doubled its projection of economic contraction in 2020 from 4.9 per cent to 9.4 per cent, said Thanawat, who is also chief adviser to the Centre for Economic and Business Forecasting at the UTCC.

The pandemic has severely impacted tourism, hotels, restaurants, trade, logistics and entertainment worth about Bt1.5 trillion. Meanwhile manufacturing and exports have taken a Bt500-billion hit. Drought has caused extra damage worth Bt76 billion, he said

======================================================================================

From Bangkok Post

Hotels urged to end dual pricing scheme

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is encouraging hotels in Thailand to offer fair packages to expatriates, avoiding price discrimination as the country aims to attract 2 million foreign residents to travel more domestically.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said the ministry urged expatriate associations to travel domestically instead of going abroad, as they may face back-to-back 14-day quarantines when arriving at other destinations and then upon returning to Thailand.

The idea has received some positive feedback from expatriates, but points of concern remain regarding local sentiment towards foreigners during the outbreak and overpriced accommodations.

He said the Tourism Authority of Thailand is working with hoteliers and the Tourism Council of Thailand to ensure expatriates will receive the same hotel rates as locals.

1 hour ago, reader said:

I'm reminded that "they" are politicians. Like politicians everywhere, they are influenced by public opinion.

So far Thai public opinion is opposed to foreign tourism reopening.  While many seem to think the loss of tourist money is having much of an impact on Thai politics or the majority opinion of the Thai people, so far the reality is the opposite is true.  I'm sorry to come across as so negative, but based on the evidence the idea that tourism might reopen, with Thailand welcoming tourists with open arms, is only wishful thinking. 

Nobody will be happier than I if I turn out to be wrong, but I base my opinion on what I see, not on what I hope.

There is a big push on local tourism now. I tried to book a hotel in Hua Hin for early this month and could not get a room in my preferred hotel. Yesterday at a small shopping mall in Bangkok there was a desk offering great rates at seven 4 star and 5 star Anantara Hotels - US$199++ for 3 nights including American breakfast for 2 and airport transfers valid till December 31. But if you booked yesterday, four of these properties had an even better rate of just $99++ for the three nights. Book through agoda and the best price you get for the flagship hotel on Rajadamri is 5500 baht per night. I have heard of other hotel promotions but not checked.

I suspect that higher end properties are getting more of the customers but that is a pure guess.

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

So far Thai public opinion is opposed to foreign tourism reopening.  While many seem to think the loss of tourist money is having much of an impact on Thai politics or the majority opinion of the Thai people, so far the reality is the opposite is true.

Pollsters know they can greatly influence results by adapting the poll with a combination of the following:

(1) Who do we poll?

(2) How do we poll?

(3) What questions will we ask?

(4) How will we frame those questions?

Example: If you ask "Are you in favor of the government admitting foreign tourists to the country?" will likely get a different response than if you ask "Are you in favor of the government saving hundreds of thousands of jobs by increasing international tourism?

In Bangkok, where most of nation's bureaucrats (and those who owe their jobs to them), middle class and hi-so reside, the picture is a lot rosier than in the northeast and the south. Those with good jobs aren't feeling the pain--at least not yet.

Politicians know that the virus will at some point in the future cease to be a big issue. But there are no vaccines or antidotes to other lingering issues.

27 minutes ago, reader said:

Pollsters know they can greatly influence results by adapting the poll

Do you truly believe that is what has been going on?  Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support the idea that the Thai pollsters influenced or attempted to influence anything? 

By that logic, why not simply eliminate the middleman and post poll results without actually having polled anyone?  Just make up results.  Who's gonna know . . . ?

15 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Would you doubt this in Thailand :lol:

Actually, I personally don't need polls to tell me what Thais are thinking.  I live here and talk with a great many Thais and often ask what they think about letting foreign tourists start coming back.  So far everyone I've talked to are either opposed to it or it's not something they care about about.  But I have not spoken with even one who was in favor of it.

Of course, maybe I'm just making that up . . .

Those of you who wish to delude yourselves into thinking farang tourists are going to be allowed back into Thailand any time soon, fine with me.  Go ahead.  I live here and have access, any time I want, to everything some farang can currently only dream about.  I have nothing to gain by bursting dream bubbles.  I'm only trying to make sure people understand the reality of the situation.  If that's bad, so be it.

Foreign tourists and retirees excluded from latest approval list to come to Thailand

By Barry Kenyon

August 4, 2020

This week the powerful Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSU) has updated the groups of foreigners able to apply to board a plane to Thailand. Mostly they are categories who have business or work-related documentation or are thought to be affluent, such as those holding a Thailand Elite privilege card.

There are a few eligible groups which can be broadly described as humanitarian gestures, including foreigners with Thai spouses and/or family financial responsibilities and those classed as “residents”, a much misunderstood term which refers exclusively to those who have no end date in their passport when they must leave the country or renew.

A slightly odd grouping refers to medical tourists, usually thought to be magnificent contributors to the Thai treasury. However, the websites of Thai embassies abroad (including the UK) are stating that, to be eligible, you must have a letter from a hospital in your home country stating that you have a life-threatening disease that cannot be treated there. Very odd rule when you think about it.

All these groups can board a plane only when their Thai embassy issues a certificate of entry which requires voluminous paperwork, expensive insurance and 14 days quarantine on arrival at your own expense. The Thai foreign affairs ministry is also stressing that entry approvals will be handled on a case by case basis. Almost all the permitted groups will require a non-immigrant visa.

Meanwhile, Thai border posts remain closed for most human traffic, although labourers from neighboring countries who have registered online are trickling back to jobs in the construction, fishing and retail industries. New arrivals are subject to virus testing and quarantine facilities. Legal workers from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos are governed by the multi-governmental Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), although non-registered or illegal workers are by no means unknown.

In other words, foreigners who want to vacation in Thailand are excluded from the eligible groupings and likely to remain so as the government aims for continued zero community infections. All talk of travel bubbles, for example, appears to have been dropped as second-wave infections cause panic in countries such as Vietnam, China and Australia which were being considered as partner just weeks ago. Thai embassies abroad specifically state that they will not issue visas or certificates of entry for tourism or retirement.

There has been substantial publicity about the plight of mainly European expats with one year retirement visas or extensions of stay who are marooned abroad but want to return to Thailand. We now know for sure that retirees are considered as tourists in this context, unless perhaps they can separately prove a live marriage to a Thai national. Retirees sometimes believe they are Thai residents because they have bought property or believe the Land of Smiles is their home. On the other hand, retirees are seen by the authorities as one-year-at-a-time tourists. Although they are formally required to show an income or have a Thai bank balance of at least 800,000 baht to qualify, the regulation is sometimes circumvented by third party intervention by generous friends or agents.

The reality is that 90 percent of the foreigners who visited Thailand in 2019 would be banned by the CCSU regulations now in force. Whilst the scenario can change at short notice – a vaccine appears or the virus goes into remission worldwide or government policy changes – it’s demonstrably untrue that Thailand is slowly getting back to normal. And you can’t predict the future because, alas, it hasn’t happened yet.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/foreign-tourists-and-retirees-excluded-from-latest-approval-list-to-come-to-thailand-309946

nothing scientific, having nothing to do with Thailand  and not even proper statistic sample but still telling :

Yesterday we all cousins with extended families where applicable  decided irresponsibly  to get infected , get sick and subsequently die so we  gathered for a barbecue , our first such gathering since Christmas Day 2019. 22 of us aged 5-83 , all of sound mind if that can be said about my family at all.

Of course we discussed virus and subject of reopening our local economy as quite a chunk of it is in one way or other still restricted. We were quite surprised by what we found and all opinions expressed were pretty firm.

4 primary and high schoolers  in favor of returning to school in Sept

6 working in part time or gig jobs wants to loosen restrictions broadly and ASAP including 2 university students and 2 people receiving quite generous here temporary assistance and 1 retiree still working part time.

7 people in steady and rather well paid jobs ( including not working wife on one high earner)wants to keep things closed or restricted  until it's all over

and the same for 5 retirees, 3 with generous and other 2 with just basic pensions.

It was actually one of our high schoolers  who noticed first that responses are very  related to how secure our incomes are and one side doesn't understand the other.

34 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

Do you truly believe that is what has been going on? 

Do you have any evidence that it isn't?

It's not difficult to get the outcome that you wish. That's how pollsters get a lot of repeat business. You get what you pay for.

Like the rest of us, Barry Kenyon is writing opinion pieces, not objective news. He has a bigger megaphone but is still putting his personal spin on topics.

3 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Do you truly believe that is what has been going on?  Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support the idea that the Thai pollsters influenced or attempted to influence anything?

Whether or not the pollsters have attempted to influence the poll, Peter RS is correct to point out that this can happen.     There have been numerous studies that show how a question is framed affects the outcome.    People can ask the same question two different ways and get huge differences in the results.      

Now the poll might have been done in a perfectly neutral manner and I have no reason to suspect otherwise,

What I do know is that if someone in the government wanted an opinion poll with a different result in a couple of months time, there are ways of obtaining that, without even having to cheat.

[A book called "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely is a very interesting read and gives some good insights into human behaviour, as you might guess from the title.  I expect some board members would enjoy it.]

Government decisions following even most diligently and fairly  conducted pool may be enthusiastically taken by the population if only because we people don't have proper knowledge or information to assess an impact so we governed may have an illusion . that people in power are listening

Ask if population is for reducing prices by half  and most will be for as only few will envision possible resulting shortage of goods and loss of jobs. Who asked if salaries should be doubled is against ? possibility of  resulting inflation will cross few minds but I doubt it 'd be majority.

When our government announced lock downs in mid March and declared  stores selling alcohol and income tax preparation services an essential services we had good laugh and were awed at lobbying power of those industries. But when next day ministers explained that they don't want people with alcohol withdrawal syndromes to clog hospital capacity and in time of business closures and job reductions people may need their refunds  much more than normally all of the sudden we realized it made quite a sense and our laughs were bit premature. 

8 hours ago, reader said:

Do you have any evidence that it isn't?

I give up.  You're right.  The polls are rigged or never really took place at all.  I'm lying about the people I talk with.  Barry Kenyon's posts hold no more water or validity than anyone else's. 

Ok, that's it from me on this topic.  I can't say any more than I've already said, so you gents might as well continue convincing yourselves that Thailand is going to open up to tourism within the next few months.  If that happens, I will be happy to return to this topic and eat my words.

Foreign tourists and retirees excluded from latest approval list to come to Thailand

By Barry Kenyon

August 4, 2020

This week the powerful Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSU) has updated the groups of foreigners able to apply to board a plane to Thailand. Mostly they are categories who have business or work-related documentation or are thought to be affluent, such as those holding a Thailand Elite privilege card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenyon doesn't understand that many Elite cardholders are indeed foreign tourists. They are citizens of other countries who opt to pay the membership fee in exchange for the privilege of being able to stay for periods of their choosing. His headline above is misleading.

From Thaivisa / Banghkok Biz News

There are a total of 10,363 members of the Elite Card program, with China, Japan, USA and UK accounting nationalities with the largest number of card holders.

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

Perhaps a realisation that Pattaya expats themselves feed off tourism, directly or indirectly- indeed, if it were not so, why would expats have  chosen Pattaya to live in the first place? 

if one wants to envision how in longer term Pattaya would look like without tourists, , short stroll around Sunee Plaza will help

That is correct. I suspect that gay expats may be fewer in number now than when Sunee was at its zenith. I recall seeing groups of them regularly in the host-bars. However, it may be that they are not being replaced by younger ones when they age and pass away. This is just an imp[ression.

I should re-emphasise that it's not all expats who care only about their own status and happiness....some have been active in the production of food parcels for the poor. And others, it has to be said, have themselves been recipients of such assistance. Or so it has been reported.

23 hours ago, vinapu said:

nothing scientific, having nothing to do with Thailand  and not even proper statistic sample but still telling :

Yesterday we all cousins with extended families where applicable  decided irresponsibly  to get infected , get sick and subsequently die so we  gathered for a barbecue , our first such gathering since Christmas Day 2019. 22 of us aged 5-83 , all of sound mind if that can be said about my family at all.

Of course we discussed virus and subject of reopening our local economy as quite a chunk of it is in one way or other still restricted. We were quite surprised by what we found and all opinions expressed were pretty firm.

4 primary and high schoolers  in favor of returning to school in Sept

6 working in part time or gig jobs wants to loosen restrictions broadly and ASAP including 2 university students and 2 people receiving quite generous here temporary assistance and 1 retiree still working part time.

7 people in steady and rather well paid jobs ( including not working wife on one high earner)wants to keep things closed or restricted  until it's all over

and the same for 5 retirees, 3 with generous and other 2 with just basic pensions.

It was actually one of our high schoolers  who noticed first that responses are very  related to how secure our incomes are and one side doesn't understand the other.

I both empathize and am disappointed with some opinions of your informal family poll. My family who ( I cannot visit because of covid-19) would poll differently. My family is much smaller and consists of doctors, teachers and their children. Because of covid-19 they would shut down economy again AND do it right this time. Schools closed with no reopening ; however my nephews schools will reopen shortly for on-line instruction only. With the USA case load rising and deaths at 160k and rising I simply cannot understand why some people (other than Trump) want to reopen the economy (despite financial concerns). After all it was re-opening prematurely that got America in its current predicament. 

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

No one should be surprised that those of us separated from people (or places) we love should clutch at straws. It is entirely natural, even for pessimists like myself. Nor am I surprised that some expats on different forums have been  regaling us with stories about how wonderful it is for them in our absence...empty roads,  numerous  guys  desperately seeking falang assignations, no Chinese tour buses clogging-up the roads, no motor-bike racing up Soi Yensabai. Heaven!

But let's face it, some expats have never liked us much. After all, we drive up prices  by over-paying at go-go bars; as one expat said  many years ago,  if it wasn't for tourists , an off would still be 500 bht. "Two-week Charlies" was his description. Fair enough; some of us had jobs to go to back home.

However, I could do with just a tad less smugness. There aren't enough expats to keep the scene alive; not just bars and massage joints but even the availability of mbs on hornet and Planet Romeo. Accordingly, I'd welcome a little more sympathy or at least an understanding that separation is painful; that some of us haven't seen our partners for many months and have little chance of doing so for the foreseeable future.

One further observation; expats may be enjoying life at the moment but there are locals dependant on charitable food donations- many  not only miss tourists but need us to feed their families.  Perhaps a realisation that Pattaya expats themselves feed off tourism, directly or indirectly- indeed, if it were not so, why would expats have  chosen Pattaya to live in the first place? And furthermore that, however happy they are in their virus and tourist -free environment today,  others people, both falang and Thai,  are hurting? 

I think you are being a tad bit hard on us expats here. I always enjoyed the high season here especially seeing my friends who are making their regular holiday visits. I miss them terribly and anxiously look forward to their visits again. Yes, us old farts gripe about the Chinese tourists and their buses, and complain about our favorite beach chair being taken but that's all part of the fun of getting old. 

1 hour ago, Up2u said:

.... opinions of your informal family poll..... My family is much smaller and consists of doctors, teachers and their children. Because of covid-19 they would shut down economy again AND do it right this time. Schools closed with no reopening ; however my nephews schools will reopen shortly for on-line instruction only. With the USA case load rising and deaths at 160k and rising I simply cannot understand why some people (other than Trump) want to reopen the economy (despite financial concerns). ....

we did not pool , not even argued.  We were It was just talking  when 11th grader responded to his recently retired father something like ' you don't care because you have pension from February ' when we realized along which lines we are divided.

What you say above  confirms our findings, we don't have doctors but our  pharmacist, teacher , engineers and IT people all are in favor of closing, just like your well established folks.

Most of us in the West are somewhat comfortable  with either our incomes or governments support but in many countries poorer folks were just locked out and left to fend for themselves with options to earn living shoot down. And remote schooling while a solution  in Portland OR or Lyon , France ,  in rural  Ethiopia or Paraguay is just a pipe dream.

My comment was not to argue for or against closing / opening , just to emphasize that governments have very tough  choices to make as people don't need jobs but they need incomes and way needs to be found to feed them broadly speaking. This would be an answer to your question why some people ( other than Trump ) want to re-open economy / borders. Whether that makes now sense or not is for another discussion as it's only guess.

One year from now we may found that USA is decimated and depopulated because of premature re-opening but on another hand we may see your country as great winner  of battle against virus , one of three in the world along with Sweden and Peru  whose population achieved coveted herd immunity because of broad exposure. Who really knows at this time ?

Although it's tinkering with the since rejected "travel bubble" concept, tourism planners rolled out another idea today. Unfortunately, it still relies on tourists traveling in groups and staying in designated hotels, in provinces that agree to welcome the tourists. At a cost of 100,000 bht per person, it's very unlikely to attract the 500,000 tourists the planners imagine.

From Bangkok Post

'Safe and Sealed' tourism plan proposed

Tourism operators are proposing a new tourism plan, called Safe and Sealed, to replace travel bubbles and keep Thailand from realising the worst-case revenue scenario of 675 billion baht next year, down from 3.01 trillion baht in 2019.

At a meeting chaired by Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, tourism-related groups offered a proposal to let inbound tourists restart their trips to Thailand in the fourth quarter with safer screening and more flexibility for more countries than the travel bubble scheme.

The president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents said that while Thailand has started to welcome some groups of foreigners, the total will be fewer than 100,000 visitors and cannot prevent tourism-related businesses from falling into bankruptcy.

The new plan is expected to draw at least 500,000 tourists to Thailand and generate 50 billion baht in revenue. The cost of the package would be 100,000 baht per person, higher than the average price of 50,000 baht before the pandemic.

"Safe means we will select only guests from a city with a record of no infections for at least 30 days, and they can travel under the sealed conditions provided by tour operators in designated hotels and provinces that agree to welcome those tourists," he said.

Other necessary screening processes are also required, such as an infection-free certificate 72 hours before a flight, as well as insurance and tests.

Tourism businesses want the government to help start the fund with a 100-billion-baht budget.

19 hours ago, vinapu said:

Most of us in the West are somewhat comfortable  with either our incomes or governments support but in many countries poorer folks were just locked out and left to fend for themselves with options to earn living shoot down. And remote schooling while a solution  in Portland OR or Lyon , France ,  in rural  Ethiopia or Paraguay is just a pipe dream.

One year from now we may found that USA is decimated and depopulated because of premature re-opening but on another hand we may see your country as great winner  of battle against virus , one of three in the world along with Sweden and Peru  whose population achieved coveted herd immunity because of broad exposure. Who really knows at this time ?

It's quite correct to draw attention to the difference between western countries where people get support and poorer countries, where they get negligible support.   Whilst Thailand is far from the poorest, I still read of people being entitled to minimal support, having to fill out loads of forms and these then get rejected.   

I also agree we don't know for sure what's going to happen.    However, the USA being decimated and depopulated due to premature opening is unlikely.   I'm not sure what the precise death rate is, but probably somewhere in the ballpark of 1% and decreasing as know how for treatments improves.   Whilst unpleasant for those affected, it's not like the black death in terms of overall impact on populations.