WHERE TO GO THIS WINTER ?

Since Thailand is closed, it's time to consider options.    Kayak is one source of information    https://www.kayak.co.uk/travel-restrictions

Here's a map from the Kayak site.    I've taken the liberty of assuming we might want to go somewhere warmer & have cropped it.

Now Asia is effectively closed, except for Afghanistan, which is not known for the most welcoming gay scene in the world.  

Checking country by country, it seems that getting into Taiwan is not impossible, but a little more investigation is needed.   I'm excluding Africa for similar reasons to Afghanistan.

That leaves Latin America, so places like Brazil and Mexico.   Unfortunately, Covid infection rates are rather high there and it's difficult to totally ignore the risk when over 50.   Whilst Covid infection rates are increasing in Europe, my chances of infection on when away on holiday would be much higher, due to use of hotels, restaurants, bars, public transport, saunas etc. 

Of course that might change in a couple of months, but there are no guarantees.   If I'd already had Covid, then I'd be be very happy to visit Latin America.   

Considering that point  I might even consider paying ~£50 for a private antibody test, just in case I've had an asymptotic infection.    What's holding me back is a combination of a low probability of having had Covid and the prospect of extracting 0.5cc of my own blood to post to the lab.   The labs appear to be using a reasonably good test.

After that, the options are perhaps Southern Europe or The Canary Islands.   This would be something of a last resort, as temperatures will not be high enough for my liking and the availability of twinks  will be a problem.

Or keep waiting for something to change.    Who knows, we might even have a vaccine later in the winter ?  

It would be of interest to hear how other members are considering their options for a winter holiday.  Particularly anyone with good solutions to the problem.

Hol.JPG

3 hours ago, z909 said:

Who knows, we might even have a vaccine later in the winter ?  

That may well be the case, but that won't change anything for this winter. Even if a vaccine was approved say in November, what are your personal chances to get it right away? They will prioritize, and vaccinating a whole country (or world) will take a rather long time. Besides, countries with restrictions in place (as per your map) will have to adapt their rules to allow vaccinated people in. That, too will take some time.

So even if a vaccine comes, don't bank on it for your personal planning. 

As for Maldives, apart from not exactly being a gay friendly country (as a country, the tourist islands are essentially ghettos, where things can be vastly different), it is not really an option for a long stay to avoid the European winter (as z909 intends), because it is (a) way too expensive for most people and (b) you'd get bored to death coz there is nothing to do or see. Beautiful for some days, even a week or two, but that's it.

Do I have other ideas? Not really, as I am in the lucky position to be stuck exactly in the place I would choose to be stuck in if I had the choice. For Europe Canary Islands do come to mind, maybe Morocco for a little while, things like that. Canaries aren't as warm as Thailand, but still better than UK! Might be one of the better compromises available, and compromise you will have to

My vaccine comment was intended to be very speculative & it's certainly not part of plan A, B or C.   

As for whether I would get it before the end of the winter, well it depends:

(i) Which vaccines get approved.    If it's something like the "Oxford" vaccine, my odds should go up, due to supply agreements.     With other vaccines, my odds probably go down.

(ii) How many they have really manufactured in advance of approval.  Some reports refer to 400 million doses.

(iii) Whether or not distribution is organized properly.    Due to lack of management talent in Westminster, that is a big risk.

As for countries letting people in, once I've had a vaccine*, then I'm quite happy to go to Brazil or Mexico, who already let us in.    No need to wait for Asia, even if that would be my preference.

I agree, the Canaries look like a reasonable compromise.

[* Assuming the data for the vaccine looks OK]

I will prepare travel routes for a few countries outside Europe I want to visit anyway. If any of these countries are open and the corona figures are not too frightening or I will be vaccinated, then I will make a 2-3 week - holiday in winter, otherwise not. What I am quite sure though is that the next holiday will be a rather luxurious one.

I live in Ft.Lauderdale so it’s summer year round.   We have 3 strip clubs that have finally reopened. Though no back room fun.  
Not supposed to be much physical contact between customers and dancers.   They do allow lots of tip money to exchange hands.   Many of the guys will make private arrangements with you, but an hour here can cost what a weekend in Thailand costs.

South Florida is just about fully open.  Tourist are starting to fill the hotels again . As with Thailand, winter is high season here. I’m usually in Bangkok for winter months so this will be my first time home for several years. 

A few thoughts. Taiwan can get pretty cold during the winter. Not unusual for the temperature to fall to around 10C when the winter monsoon blows.  Morocco too gets quite chilly especially if you want a popular spot like Marrakesh. The seaside resort of Agadir might be better but the temperature will not go much over 20C at noon. But then the same is true of the Canary Islands. Certainly a lot better than northern Europe but nothing like Thailand.

Have not been to the Maldives for ages. As the link posted by spoon illustrates, it is a totally Islamic country. Not sure if it is still true but when we were there islanders were not permitted to staff the resort islands. They were kept isolated on Male and their own separate islands. Staff then came mostly from Sri Lanka and southern India. If you are there with your bf, there will be no problem for the 2 of you. As anddy suggests if you expect to find boys to while away a few hours, better hope there will be a cute guest. Staff are out of bounds.

Best perhaps to write off this winter, save the cash and then splurge as soon as conditions permit.

Because of too many unknowns ( which of course may change either way on short notice ) I decided that best way to escape winter cold is to crank up the heat at home.

Destinations I'm interested in are either closed or heavily restricted and going somewhere just for a sake of going is not my cup of tea even if I agree with floridarob that living in a shelter is wasting  some of time we have left.

Luckily my last Jun's unused ticket validity was extended till end of 2021 of course providing Lufthansa will still exist.

20 hours ago, floridarob said:

You could catch it in your home town as well.

That is so true, for places that have the virus circulating. Which is precisely the reason why I vehemently encouraged some friends in Germany to go to southern France in late Aug/early Sept. A travel warning had just been issued by Germany, which I found somewhat absurd for that same reason. I told them to ignore the stupid warning and go. They did go, and tested negative in the mandatory test upon return. Even the one guy who engaged in very corona-unsafe activities in the bars at night. 

I would guess that the personal behavior on holiday in a foreign country is riskier than at home because you want to do things that you can avoid/reduce at home, like eating out in restaurants every day, going to museums, using public transport, go to whatever type of bars, meeting people you don't know ... So going on holiday to a country with corona figures similar to home you might increase your risk a little bit (unless you only want to climb some mountains alone and it's not mount Fuji)

Fair points. So the risk may indeed be higher, but taking that into consideration that extra risk can probably be mitigated by being extra cautious in all these activities, like extra diligent mask wearing, more hand sanitizer, etc etc. Hadn't really thought about that, maybe because my own life is the same anywhere, any time haha

I agree that for many of us, the risk goes up the moment we go on holiday. 

At home, the majority of meals & coffee are consumed at home.   A holiday means eating out for 3 meals a day, plus the coffee, public transport, saunas, bars etc.   

I'm not going to hide at home, but on the other hand I'm not YET prepared to go to Latin America with the current covid infection rates.   Eventually, something will change, such as their infection rates or my attitude.