reader

Luang Prabang Should Be on Your Travel List

• Members
4 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Been there, done that, back in 2001, though I don't suppose it's changed much since.

I went to LP in 2013 & I liked it a lot.  It was a sweet, relaxed place, but definitely touristy.  Not much going on but it had a unique charm.  Now I am wondering how the opening of rail service (to China & to Vientiane) is going to affect it.  Are the locals gearing up for a big increase in tourism from China?   Is LP changing?  I am planning to go back in December so I will see for myself!

8 minutes ago, tm_nyc said:

I went to LP in 2013 & I liked it a lot.  It was a sweet, relaxed place, but definitely touristy.  Not much going on but it had a unique charm.  Now I am wondering how the opening of rail service (to China & to Vientiane) is going to affect it.  Are the locals gearing up for a big increase in tourism from China?   Is LP changing?  I am planning to go back in December so I will see for myself!

the old town of LP is a UNESCO World Heritage site and thus cannot really change much. The changes would likely be on the other sides of the rivers from the town itself.

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Just for info, the fast speed train from Vientiane to Kunming stops at Luang Prabang. On the present schedule it departs at 08:08 and arrives at 09:53 (but this might be Chinese time which is an hour ahead of Laos). Return train to Vientiane is late afternoon.

should be 1 or 2 more between Vientiane and Luang Prabang . There were at least 3 in each direction when I was there last November. That could change of course so it's better to check locally when there.