PeterRS

New Thai Elite Visa Programme DOES target retirees BUT . . .

• Members
40 minutes ago, floridarob said:

But you had to go to Bos to get it, Like I had to go to IAH because nothing available from Mexico. and 70k was one way....do you have your return yet?

There is no direct flight or shorter route from Mexico to Asia, other than transiting through N. America.

16 hours ago, paulsf said:

My award was with American Airlines miles.  

This is far from uncommon with the airline alliances and mileage programmes. One airline in the programme 'charges' different numbers of miles for the same route and/or at a different time of year. Equally, I find it is becoming more common for members of an airline's loyalty programme to have advance booking for mileage seats. This was always the case with Qantas when I wanted to fly, as I did annually, from BKK to Sydney. Granted it was a popular route but even when I tried to book a ticket on the first day seats were made avaiable, none were ever left. 

The same was true when I spent a month in South America using BA flights from BKK to Buenos Aires via LHR. I booked the outward sectors 51 weeks in advance on the first day seats were put on the market. I was told I could not book the return because I'd have to wait for another 4 weeks for the 51 week in advance opening. When I repeated the exercise, again on the first day, I could book Buenos Aires to LHR but there were no seats LHR/BKK. I had to return to HKG and pay for a ticket from there. I later realised that BA withheld mileage seats on popular routes hoping to sell them before opening them for mileage redemption.

In general, though, I shouldn't really complain because I have had many dozen long-distance free mileage tickets and upgrades over the years since they were first introduced.

• Members
1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

This is far from uncommon with the airline alliances and mileage programmes. One airline in the programme 'charges' different numbers of miles for the same route and/or at a different time of year. Equally, I find it is becoming more common for members of an airline's loyalty programme to have advance booking for mileage seats. This was always the case with Qantas when I wanted to fly, as I did annually, from BKK to Sydney. Granted it was a popular route but even when I tried to book a ticket on the first day seats were made avaiable, none were ever left. 

The same was true when I spent a month in South America using BA flights from BKK to Buenos Aires via LHR. I booked the outward sectors 51 weeks in advance on the first day seats were put on the market. I was told I could not book the return because I'd have to wait for another 4 weeks for the 51 week in advance opening. When I repeated the exercise, again on the first day, I could book Buenos Aires to LHR but there were no seats LHR/BKK. I had to return to HKG and pay for a ticket from there. I later realised that BA withheld mileage seats on popular routes hoping to sell them before opening them for mileage redemption.

In general, though, I shouldn't really complain because I have had many dozen long-distance free mileage tickets and upgrades over the years since they were first introduced.

It's been very difficult to find reasonable mileage award tickets post covid.  That's why O don't care much about accumulate miles anymore.  On some airlines, there are basic/cheaper economy class fares and basic business class that don't give me miles.

19 minutes ago, scott456 said:

It's been very difficult to find reasonable mileage award tickets post covid.  That's why O don't care much about accumulate miles anymore.  On some airlines, there are basic/cheaper economy class fares and basic business class that don't give me miles.

Quite agree. I have never actually used miles for economy tickets as they are just a waste of miles - now incresingly so. And on some airlines business class mileage tickets are starting to come with options. If you want what always used to be offered in business class along with more space, reclining seats, better food and bigger TV screens, some airlines are charging for access to lounges and seat selection.

14 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Quite agree. I have never actually used miles for economy tickets as they are just a waste of miles - now incresingly so. And on some airlines business class mileage tickets are starting to come with options. If you want what always used to be offered in business class along with more space, reclining seats, better food and bigger TV screens, some airlines are charging for access to lounges and seat selection.

BA had a sale recently of Avios seats and I could get to Sydney, return, business, for 200,000 Avios plus £800. No restrictions on ticket, have booked seats etc. I think this was only available for one day, and I was alerted to it by one of my blogs.

4 hours ago, scott456 said:

There is no direct flight or shorter route from Mexico to Asia, other than transiting through N. America.

Flights from Mexico to Asia are INSANE $$$.....sometimes award mile seats available from Mexico City or Cancun, but rarely.

Airlines, especially US carriers are fleecing people....so grateful of them after the FREE Covid money they got. Should've been a loan like the banks and car makers got

9 hours ago, scott456 said:

That's why I don't care much about accumulate miles anymore.  On some airlines, there are basic/cheaper economy class fares and basic business class that don't give me miles.

you are not alone. I see that as well so now miles accumulation is just by-product of flying. If they credit something I take it, if they don't , no harm done.

• Members
2 hours ago, gerefan said:

I used to collect them.

Nowadays I don’t bother and take the best deal on offer rather than being stuck with one airline.

And these days there are many ways to get airport lounge access where I don't need elite status from any airline.  I avoid alcohol when I am on the road anyway.  I am not picky on food, so I am OK with mediocre meal on economy or business class. To me, the value of business class is mostly the flat bed and the space. Most people in my age are on some sort of diet: low fat, low cholesterol,  low sugar, etc.  I want to live in a good health as long as possible. 

32 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I am not picky on food, so I am OK with mediocre meal on economy or business class. 

fully agree, in reality how much we need to eat if we sit on the plane  doing nothing for 10-15 hours ?

I'm slowly coming to the stage when I will we asking them NOT to wake me up for a meal if I happen to be sleeping when they serve. It happened on my last two longish flight and I was upset at myself I did not do it since sleeping on the plane is rare feast for me.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:05 AM, vinapu said:

fully agree, in reality how much we need to eat if we sit on the plane  doing nothing for 10-15 hours ?

I'm slowly coming to the stage when I will we asking them NOT to wake me up for a meal if I happen to be sleeping when they serve. It happened on my last two longish flight and I was upset at myself I did not do it since sleeping on the plane is rare feast for me.

How very very true !

I flew business class last month Bangkok to KL then to Sydney

We left KL like 11pm and arrive Sydney I think was around 9am

I'm eating already in the business lounge in KL airport 

As soon as I got on the plane about two hours later  started serving food ,all I wanted to do sleep .

Then 2 hours later more food , I didn't want to be rude but I just feel that I would of been better sleeping ,by the time I got to Sydney I was tired I ended up sleeping the whole day at home

, I wonder how those guys go who fly business class that have business meetings on their destination,they obviously must tell the stewards not to wake them up 

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I recall seeing some ad for business class stating ' you will be served meal at time of your choice", don't recall which airline but it was not Air Gambia

This has definitely been available on Qatar for at least the last 2 years and I believe also on Singapore. Cathay did trials on two long haul routes in 2021 but received a lot of dissatisfaction - from the flight attendants!

I like it if only because you know the meal will arrive fresh. And I have rarely had anything other than excellent meals on Qatar. I don't eat dinner on a late departure long-haul overnight flight, but definitely have a nice breakfast and several courses for lunch! QR's wine list is also better than most other airlines in my experience.

• Members
6 hours ago, vinapu said:

I recall seeing some ad for business class stating ' you will be served meal at time of your choice", don't recall which airline but it was not Air Gambia

Yes, for business class, Qatar offers dine anytime service, and are consistently good.  Saudia offers it too, but the dessert ice cream was all melted when I order it midflight, I am not sure what their problem is, but I was not happy. Etihad does not offer "dine anytime" option officially, but I asked the flight attendant if I can have the meal later mid flight, she said no problem, she wrote down my meal of choice and told me to let her know when I want to eat, it would take 20 minutes to prepare.  But mid-flight when I told her I was ready to eat, she came back and apologized that she gave away my prawn dish by mistake. WTF.

Unless flying basic business fare with no lounge access, most regular businesses class passengers eat at lounge prior to boarding, some gobble down a full meal and drink at lounge.  I don't know how people can continue to eat another full meal in less than an hour onboard the plane.

The food quality on business class has certainly gone down hill (on the three airlines mentioned above), but the food is usually better on flights leaving their home based hub.

• Members
3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

This has definitely been available on Qatar for at least the last 2 years and I believe also on Singapore. Cathay did trials on two long haul routes in 2021 but received a lot of dissatisfaction - from the flight attendants!

This is how you know the airlines has gone downhill big time.

53 minutes ago, scott456 said:

The food quality on business class has certainly gone down hill (on the three airlines mentioned above), but the food is usually better on flights leaving their home based hub.

That may be your experience. I have flown Qatar long-haul business annually for around 10 years and I find the food quality has both improved over that time period and been very consistent in recent years. Its wine list remains one of the best in the sky.

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

That may be your experience. I have flown Qatar long-haul business annually for around 10 years and I find the food quality has both improved over that time period and been very consistent in recent years. Its wine list remains one of the best in the sky.

I flew First class on Qatar a few years ago, and they had Chateau  d'Yquem! The stewardess had not heard of it and left me the bottle.....

On 9/10/2023 at 4:34 AM, Keithambrose said:

I flew First class on Qatar a few years ago, and they had Chateau  d'Yquem! The stewardess had not heard of it and left me the bottle.....

Besides Qatar Airways, which I fly more often, Virgin Atlantic used to offer anytime dining option, at least in Upper Class. It’s been years since I’ve flown them though, as the schedules/connections changed and they were no longer convenient.

As for the “bottle service”, on South African airways about a decade ago, not only the flight attended let my companion and me sample a few bottles of South African wines (it was a long flight) she gave me several of them that I liked the best to go after we landed. I ended up visiting the winery in the Capetown area afterwords to refill my stock.

I once ordered the steak on a business class flight to Thailand with Emirates. As I come from the UK I’m always sceptical about the quality of steaks and would never normally order them when eating out.

After I had finished it I asked the hostess who had cooked it as I wanted a word with them.  Very defensibly she said they all played a part….

I then explained to her that it was the best steak I had ever eaten and asked her to thank the ‘rest of the crew’ who prepared it. 

I now always order it and it never fails to impress.