macaroni21

DW documentary on sex tourism in Pattaya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPVl2XP9Ws

(nothing gay here. all about girl sex).

An embarrasingly poor documentary. It shifts back and forth between sex tourism with paedophilia with no clear distinction between the two. The tourists interviewed were also pretty bad at pushing back against the moralistic undertone of the interviewer's questions. It is, at an intellectual level, an underwhelming piece of journalism.

Hmm, DW must have switched it to private a couple of hours after I posted it. The short text version can be seen here: https://www.dw.com/en/a-shady-side-of-paradise-sex-tourism-in-thailand/a-67057449, and I recognise the still pictures, which were taken from the video. However the text article on DW's website has no link to the video.  Maybe they will un-private the video after the last broadcast slot on 4 December.

The Bangkok Post is reporting that video is now blocked in Thailand.

The Post is also reporting that police are investigating an alleged 1 million baht bribe paid by a German man released from a sex-related charge involving his Pattaya bar.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2697609/police-probing-sex-charge-bribe-claim

From Thai PBS World

Pattaya police explain alleged bribery in child prostitution case

Pattaya police issued a statement today in an attempt to clarify a German media report, claiming that a German tourist, who was arrested for buying sexual services from an underage girl in Pattaya bar in September last year, was released after allegedly paying a million baht bribe to police before leaving Thailand.

In response to the accusation made in the DW documentary, Pattaya police said in its statement that that, on September 10th last year, police and local administration officials raided the Cobra beer bar in Bang Lamung district, after it was alleged that sexual services by underage girls were being offered to customers.

The bar’s owner, a Thai woman identified as Ornthana Yothee, 42, and her British partner, were arrested and charged with providing the services of prostitutes.

The police expanded their investigation and claim that a German customer used to buy sexual services from an underage employee of the bar. They arrested him on September 24th in a hotel in Bang Lamung district, Chon Buri.

Two days later, the German suspect was taken to the Pattaya court, to have his detention extended for further questioning. The suspect then sought bail and the application was granted by the court on the condition that he must report to the court on November 14th, or his 500,000 baht surety would be confiscated.

On November 7th, the German suspect flew out of Thailand.

Pol Lt-Gen Somprasong Yentuam, commissioner of Region 2 Provincial Police Bureau, said he had ordered an investigation into the bribery allegation made in the documentary.

He said that, since several law enforcement agencies were involved in the case, the police would try to uncover what went wrong and which agency was responsible.

The statement from the police did not specifically address the one million baht which is alleged to have been paid, or whether the 500,000 baht “bail surety” was part of it.

On 12/2/2023 at 1:00 PM, Londoner said:

It's hard to take seriously a TV doc in which the commentator cannot even pronounce "Pattaya". Pa-TTAI-ya?

Surely the problem is that many of those who watched it will in fact have believed it, if only because it reinforces stereotypes they have been fed for decades. Once the cat is out of the bag, it's a massive job to get it back!

I chanced upon the same DW.com video again*, now publicly available on Youtube. They have put it up under a different URL, with a different title too: Now it is "Sex tourists in Thailand".

*Youtube's algorithm for me must be a simple one: SEX, SEX, SEX. 🤣

Note: nothing gay in this DW.com documentary; all about girl sex.

As I mentioned earlier in my opening post, the video documentary shifts back and forth between sex tourism and paedophilia with no clear distinction between the two. The tourists interviewed were also pretty bad at pushing back against the moralistic undertone of the interviewer's questions. An underwhelming piece of journalism.

4 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

As I mentioned earlier in my opening post, the video documentary shifts back and forth between sex tourism and paedophilia with no clear distinction between the two. The tourists interviewed were also pretty bad at pushing back against the moralistic undertone of the interviewer's questions. An underwhelming piece of journalism

Trying to represent Thailand as pedophilia heaven is misleading and untrue, I guess pedophiles who are seeking for minors  to fulfill their deviations will find it anywhere in the world and Pattaya isn't exception. Many Journalists come with prejudice and tend to manipulate the reality to their own false perception. it's not journalism but  propaganda.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, macaroni21 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPVl2XP9Ws

(nothing gay here. all about girl sex).

An embarrasingly poor documentary. It shifts back and forth between sex tourism with paedophilia with no clear distinction between the two. The tourists interviewed were also pretty bad at pushing back against the moralistic undertone of the interviewer's questions. It is, at an intellectual level, an underwhelming piece of journalism.

DW is a broadcast of the German government and is most likely obliged to support the new 'feminist foreign policy ' of the current government. There are attempts to criminalize prostitution in Germany again (at least for clients). You should see this documentary within this frame.