reader

Tawan Bar in Bangkok Closed: Police Raid Reported

I think an original thread was removed by administrators because unfortunate phrase in the tittle. Not an original poster' s  fault but it could create possible problems for the board IMHO. 

I agree with suspicion quoted above as a reason for closure. Encouraging news is that apparently guys still congregate in vicinity so can be engaged if news is accurate.

I wonder if the case is similar to Coffee Grinder which is just two doors away from Tawan and they had to close after operating for just a few months. What I heard was that the landlady who leased the premises to the Coffee Grinder guys did not have permission to do so.

36 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

I wonder if the case is similar to Coffee Grinder which is just two doors away from Tawan and they had to close after operating for just a few months. What I heard was that the landlady who leased the premises to the Coffee Grinder guys did not have permission to do so.

I don't understand, Do you mean it's not legal to operate coffee shop in the premises ?

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

I imagine  that Vinapu is concerned!

you bet and not only me, contrary to what one may think there's quite sizable cabal of members who are fond of Tawan and their boys who , I'm sure survive that hopefully temporarily inconvenience 

Apologies for posting pic of different shop I identified last night as site of Tawan. At 2pm today I went back and located correct shop house, although there are no visible signs.

(Photo taken through outside security grate)

image.thumb.jpeg.de1cfe5942ad720105a66f82064edd24.jpeg

1 hour ago, reader said:

Apologies for posting pic of different shop I identified last night as site of Tawan. At 2pm today I went back and located correct shop house, although there are no visible signs.

(Photo taken through outside security grate)

image.thumb.jpeg.de1cfe5942ad720105a66f82064edd24.jpeg

Thank goodness this is the pic! The first one looked a bit more permanent😱

17 hours ago, vinapu said:

you bet and not only me, contrary to what one may think there's quite sizable cabal of members who are fond of Tawan and their boys who , I'm sure survive that hopefully temporarily inconvenience 

It's a little strange, though, you would think that Tawan, with their experience,  would have been on good terms with the BIB!

• Members

Bear in mind that MPOX daily incidence peaked about a year later compared to the western world, national cumulative incidence has nevertheless doubled as it is not trending to negligible as would be hoped, and it’s a (the?) Patpong venue reportedly (and personally experientially) known for explicit MSM stage interaction and private offerings on site upstairs. Might be a factor, albeit a superficial measure and arguably a wake-up call for other clubs and massage spas. Just saying. I realize no such measure was invoked last summer. However, one among hundreds of diagnosed cases may have mentioned the place when triaged or interviewed for contact tracing; such events can have a cascade effect including isolated venue closure with minimal inpact on general society while public health claims a win. I neglected to ask my one major contact at the club about MVA-BN vaccination uptake among the hosts.  

IMG_2978.jpeg

5 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

Guys hanging out at corner Surawong/Soi 6 tell the same story as mentioned in the deleted post. 

"When will it reopen"? - "Maybe closed forever".

Keep an eye on developments as long as you are there. I can't believe management would be so stupid to flout age rules. 

Like Covid, Mpox is still with us. 

Yet nobody talks about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Over 700 cases in January - probably most of these in Bangkok -  is scary indeed.

The response quoted above - "Maybe closed forever" - does not suggest the reason and seems to be just throw-away line.

• Members
1 hour ago, a-447 said:

Like Covid, Mpox is still with us. 

Yet nobody talks about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Over 700 cases in January - probably most of these in Bangkok -  is scary indeed.

36 in January, 721 total since initial case. The concern would be not so much the volume of new cases but that the ongoing rate of incidence has yet to level off. For example, Canada’s population is a little over half that of Thailand but no new cases in January, 1 in December likely acquired abroad. In contrast, Thailand reports 65 cases over the same period.

I do hope that Tawan reopens. Whilst it's not my most favourite of bars (as the guys there are a little too big for my taste), I did enjoy the few times that I did visit. Since it has been open for so long, it's a bit of an institution, no?

• Members
13 hours ago, Riobard said:

36 in January, 721 total since initial case. The concern would be not so much the volume of new cases but that the ongoing rate of incidence has yet to level off. For example, Canada’s population is a little over half that of Thailand but no new cases in January, 1 in December likely acquired abroad. In contrast, Thailand reports 65 cases over the same period.

Actually, new case incidence very low first 3 weeks February, so appears under better control, fortunately. Unclear whether a factor in Tawan but it is closest to brothel model of entertainment and majority of cases are MSM.