reader

Tawan Bar in Bangkok Closed: Police Raid Reported

• Members

First time this week that real time busyness data is pinging beyond rock bottom, in fact ‘’more busy than usual’ 21:00-21:45. These aggregate anonymized signals are not always completely reliable but it’s something. Maybe even a large protest or prayer meeting, candlelight vigil etc close enough to register. 😉

Oops, then dropped to “less busy”. Management could be communicating better on media for its fan base but has never been particularly regular. Sometimes it’s due to staff turnover without password succession. 

• Members
On 3/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, Keithambrose said:

Their website seems to be down.

It was down permanently months before I visited when I researched all the venues, the link broken or expired. Not uncommon, as many places simply keep a Facebook or other social media account that does not require a webmaster or URL hosting platform. I used to pay $hundreds a year for a business site that had no content updates but the host wouid make alterations if desired. 

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

March and April are only months I was not in Thailand yet.

You are lucky. Hottest months, esp. in BKK. 

Watching Thais wash Buddha statues at this time does not compensate for having to carry all your documents, money and phone in sealed plastic bags, or dodging attempts by drunken tourists to throw water on you after sunset (and often it is ice water).

You will be doused with water both with your consent and from behind. They will throw water on you when you are decently dressed, walking down the street to have dinner in a restaurant, when you are talking on the phone, when you are riding in a tuk-tuk. Drunk tourists do not know their limits, and they believe that Songkran is not the time when Buddha statues are washed and relatives and people passing by are blessed with this water, but this is a holiday of water hooliganism and mischief.

Once I visited this “holiday”, I will never return to Thailand in April.

2 hours ago, Moses said:

You are lucky. Hottest months, esp. in BKK. 

Watching Thais wash Buddha statues at this time does not compensate for having to carry all your documents, money and phone in sealed plastic bags, or dodging attempts by drunken tourists to throw water on you after sunset (and often it is ice water).

You will be doused with water both with your consent and from behind. They will throw water on you when you are decently dressed, walking down the street to have dinner in a restaurant, when you are talking on the phone, when you are riding in a tuk-tuk. Drunk tourists do not know their limits, and they believe that Songkran is not the time when Buddha statues are washed and relatives and people passing by are blessed with this water, but this is a holiday of water hooliganism and mischief.

What you said above  must be true as I heard it  many times but still there are people, including our members who like that time in Bangkok so I'm tempted to see who is on the right side of the truth. Sad thing is that most miscreants are foreigners , not locals. Certainly  i wouldn't carry passport and phone on the street with me at that time.

Hottest month sounds even more scary but i so often say ' go and check for yourself' that part of me is tempted to    do what I preach

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'm curious but not THAT curious although one year I need to taste SONGKRAN . March and April are only months I was not in Thailand yet.

SO we'll await your report about Tawan then 🧐

3 hours ago, Moses said:

Wow, we agree on something....there is hope for peace in the middle east.