macaroni21

Gang fight in Lopburi

I love going to Railay Beach to stay for a few nights, but I will stay with the longtail boat to get me there. I have had to battle off a couple of the monkeys just walking round Railay in the past, using my umbrella! They can be scary. 

From Thai PBS World

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation has postponed the further capture of macaques in Lop Buri’s Muang district until May, because construction of a huge cage, in which to keep up to 700 monkeys, is not yet complete.

The department’s director-general, Atthaphon Charoenchansa, appealed for understanding from residents in the Muang district, assuring them that the department does not intend to delay the capture the monkeys for longer than necessary and it will continue once the cage at Pho Sam Ton sub-district is ready.

He said that the previous operation focused on capturing the male alphas, with over 30 being caught. The next round of captures will target the general monkey population.

This time, instead of using anaesthetic darts, Atthaphon said that officials will lure the monkeys into two cages, each of which is 1.8 metres tall, 1.8 metres wide and 12 metres long.

The two cages will be placed in front of Asia Hotel and Seng Heng shop, he said, adding that he expects about 10 monkeys are to be captured each time.

About 100 people, including 25 park officials and veterinarians, who will also sterilise the captured monkeys, army personnel from the 13th army circle and municipal officials, will take part in catching as many as 700 monkeys, which will help reduce the problems being caused by these primates in the old town area of the Muang district.

I never been there so have question - with those  hordes it's even possible to visit those ruins or only marvel at them from the distance. I can imagine monkey's poo may be substantial obstacle  to wander freely too.  

When I went, which was perhaps 10years ago, the monkeys were numerous but they minded their own business. I guess they are still like that, and fighting among them is probably a rarity - this why the video above was newsworthy. I could walk around the ruins but frankly the ruins were not worth one's time. Phimai and several other sites would be more worth the effort and time.

However I was always on guard among the monkeys. You never know when one might come real close to snatch your bag or hat or phone just as you were taking a photo. So, I didn't feel relaxed and it wasn't a pleasant day.

That said, if you look at the video above, even as the two gangs of monkeys were confronting each other, they largely ignored the humans.

12 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

However I was always on guard among the monkeys. You never know when one might come real close to snatch your bag or hat or phone just as you were taking a photo. So, I didn't feel relaxed and it wasn't a pleasant day.

reminds me my visit in Ulu Watu temple on southern tip of Bali, another monkey infested place . All my time there I kept one of my hands on my glasses

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

reminds me my visit in Ulu Watu temple on southern tip of Bali,

Another of my favourite places! There's also a monkey temple near Ubud where the audacity of the inhabitants is remarkable; audacity and strength. I once saw a tug-of-war between an angry monkey and and even angrier Japanese tourist. The prize? A camera. The tourist won but the monkey escaped with a torn strap.

Is this an Asian monkey "thing"? I remember being in Kenya long ago and monkeys used to roam  the grounds of the bungalow-style hotel. However, they were relatively tame and would beg for food like dogs, although one did manage to get in to my room once. The Thai/Balinese ones seem particularly aggressive. And confident. Different species?

11 hours ago, reader said:

It's not that monkeys are more like humans as it is humans are more like monkeys.

They preceded us in evolutionary progression. What else could possibly explain Marjorie Taylor Green.

image.jpeg.d79b07274c9a8c31c772bdbbb47e8a1d.jpeg

That's really good!