forky123

Thailand Tips for first time travellers

There is a huge amount of great information on the forum and some very experienced travellers. The information can be hidden though and unless you go looking for it, It isn't always ready to hand. I was wondering if people would be willing to put one tip for new travellers Into a thread.

My tip:

Don't buy Baht before you arrive in Thailand. Exchange enough Baht when you arrive at the airport to get you through the first day or so. Exchange the rest in Bangkok or wherever you are going.

Guest anonone

ATM at the airport probably gives the best rate, assuming you don't have to pay any ATM fees.  Agree 100% that waiting until you arrive in Thailand is the best.

My tip:  For someone's first time to Thailand, I would recommend a 60 minute session with a Thai teacher on Skype before your trip.  Several teachers offer a great 60 minute intro session that covers some basic vocabulary (most importantly they can correct your pronunciation on the spot) and some helpful culture things as well.  Can really help you get a flavor for what to expect.

As much as I love Bangkok and have a certain amount of fascination with Pattaya, there is so much more to Thailand. So, my tip is to venture beyond the go-gos and gay areas to see more of the country. There's so much interesting culture and history (around the entire region, not just Thailand) that it's a shame to miss it all.

even in Pattaya one can easily spend an afternoon at Sanctuary of Truth and whole day at NomNooch Tropical gardens.

In Bangkok first day should be started with taking boat  from Saphan Taksin BTS to the Grand Palace.

Trip to Thonburi canals can be easily arranged at the pier over there.

Grand Palace ticked gives free admission to Vinamek Palace and Anantha Trone Hall within 7 days.

Snake farm with 2 shows and Wat Hualampong are walking distance from soi Twilight.

Aytthaya and Muang Boran are making great day trip destinations from Bangkok

Buy a traveller SIM card when you arrive at the airport. Then you can enjoy your whole holiday 3G internet for a very cheap price. Of course the disadvantage is you will not be reachable on your normal mobile phone number. But that can be solved by having a cheap second mobile with you, into which you put your home sim card.

Guest Promsak

When I first came here, last century, there was a book called  Men of Thailand later renamed as Trees in The Same Forest by Eric Allyn.

It was the fount of knowledge for the gay visitor from customs, tips and a guide (I wonder how many places in the guide still exist).

These days we use sites like this.

If I had one tip it would be 'don't fall in love on your first night'!

As an afterthought re. money exchange, I second the comment about SuperRich but would also recommend the Russian(?) booth next to Bamboo Bar at Jomtien.

I have a few:

-Is it safe? Okay, I'm going, party, for the sex. Bangkok and Patt. Let's be honest. I just don't want to get caught up in some sex sting operation.

-Is it hard to get around from Bangkok? I want to check out some of the beaches and I'll have to fly to them it seems.

-Specifically wouldn't mind trying Koh Phi Phi and Phand Nga Bay (James Bond). I guess I would fly to Phucket and go from there?

In response to earlier tips.

I would say try a tuk tuk ONCE just for the fun of it.  

In addition to keeping 20 and 50 baht notes, it's also handy to have enough 100 baht note to pay for your drinks.

Of course the bars DO provide change, but sometimes a little slowly.  Having some hundreds also allows you to put the money in the check bin, hand it to a waiter and leave. 

As for the questions in the previous post.

Is it safe?   Yes.

Is it hard to get around ?    No.  There are planes, trains, buses and taxis.  The long distance ground transport is slow, but it's easy enough to use and you can see some of the country.

You can fly to Phuket and book day trips to places like Phang Nga.

If your traveling alone take your time on the first couple of evenings to suss out the bars and find a boy that works for you, silly as it seems no harm in taking a little note pad and pen to remind yourself which bars and which boy (number) you like as certainly for me can become a bit of a blur the following day after a few drinks.

Once you find a guy you like don't be mean, consider a  trip to Kho Larne, if you negotiate you can probably get a private speed boat for the day for about 2,500 BHT or a little less from Jomtian Beach (turn left not right when you first hit the sea front!) your new friend will love it and the beach food and swimming are fantastic and a great way to get to know him!

Okay, my tip is around the gay massages.

I found it a little daunting at first and didn't get what I was after a fair bit so my tip is,

Be up front and tell them at the start what you want, massage yes, sex yes and for sex do you want to be top or bottom (sometimes hand signals may be needed LOL) let them know and this will help reduce the chances of picking the dud (won't eliminate it but it will be reduced by far).

I have a few:

-Specifically wouldn't mind trying Koh Phi Phi and Phand Nga Bay (James Bond). I guess I would fly to Phucket and go from there?

you can also fly to Krabi to get to those places unless you prefer your main destination to be Patong in Phuket (with the whole commercial scene etc).

There is not much you 'have' to tip for in Thailand, except with boys. The staff don't seem to expect tips, unlike their counterparts elsewhere in the world. I think you will get lots of different answers on the forum and there probably is no right and wrong.

For myself, if I get good service then I like to tip a little. To me it makes sense. So, the types of things I tip for:

Hotel Room Cleaning - 40 baht per day left on pillow.

Meal - if not included then 10% of the bill

Door men - I don't tip unless they provide a service other than opening the door. At the end of my stay I will usually tip the regular ones a little.

Massage - I tend to tip the boys based on performance. If they are crap, they get the minimum, if they are good they get 500 to 1000 over depending on just how good they are.

Mamasan - Not usually unless they provide a good service. On my last trip, the Mamasan In Hero pointed out an older masseur (late 30's or early 40's) that I would have ignored. I took him up and had a fantastic massage and extras so when I came out I tipped the Mamasan 200 for the steer.

The above is what I do only. Everyone is likely to do their own thing ranging from stingy to extravagant.